The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Drunk Girls - pics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SuziieB
Omg, NO ONE is listening to me. I DID NOT say that rape was preventable by simply dressing properly and I did not imply in any way that they deserve it. I just said that to DECREASE THE CHANCE of being raped, it is common sense to not make yourself vulnerable to strangers by taking precautions. Why are people simply twisting my words? I don't get people on this thread. Where in ANY of my posts did I say that rape victims could have prevented it? I simply said that there are precautionary measures that can be taken to DECREASE the likelihood.

Of course if a rapist is going to rape someone on a night out, he could do so to anyone. But, do you not think someone so drunk, they are completely unaware of their surroundings and lying on the pavement, then dressed in an outfit that covers almost nothing would be an easier target than someone fully dressed, conscious and simply on her way?

Don't worry, we get you. Some people need to wake up and take responsibility for their actions.
Daily Mail always publish these sorts of articles though, must be a nice job to wander round freezing at night taking pictures of drunk girls throwing up on the pavement or passed out in a gutter for a pointless article. Some of the pictures are hilarious though :biggrin:
Getting so wasted that you don't even know where you are, how to stand etc is very stupid, yes. But if a rapist wants to rape someone they'll do it regardless if someone's drunk or sober
Original post by Rybee
This ^^^.

No I don't. If a gay couple took the decision to kiss in a public place that they know may cause offense to others, and are therefore aware of the risks associated with it, then I have no sympathy whatsoever. They knew of the risks yet chose to ignore them and put themselves in that vulnerable position.

No I don't. If a man took the decision to drink himself unconscious in a public place that he knows he may be taken advantage of, and is therefore aware of the risks associated with it, then I have no sympathy whatsoever. He knew of the risks yet chose to ignore them and put himself in that vulnerable position.

That's not got anything to do with this particular instance.

This has been taken so much out of context of the original point which was that; if a young female is so intoxicated and thus so cognitively impaired that she cannot walk, talk or think for herself, she is going to put herself in a more vulnerable position. That's a fact.

If SHE has put HERSELF in that vulnerable position by making a conscious choice to intoxicate herself to that level, then my sympathy for her well being dissolves rapidly. She should have had a little more self respect not to be so stupid.

That's all I'm saying. If someone knows of a risk that will make them more vulnerable, yet takes it anyway, I cannot sympathise with them as much as I can with someone that has looked after themselves and taken precautions to avoid risk of harm.

I think I've highlighted why we disagree. I'm not talking about a gay couple kissing where they know it will cause offence - a homophobe could be anywhere in the same way that a rapist could be anywhere. As a result should we all restrict our freedom of choice so as not to provoke any potential vile person who could be in the vicinity. Should gay people never kiss in public? Should biracial couples not kiss in public either for fear of provoking racist attacks? Should women never get drunk to avoid falling prey to rapists? Bear in mind that there is usually at least one instance of drinking too much with most people who don't even drink to get drunk as they discover what their limits are.

The rape statistics were relevant because they illuminate how even if women didn't drink as much, their chances of being raped aren't greatly reduced because the rape of a drunk woman is not the most common form of rape.

I do understand what you're saying about reducing risk, I do; what I do not agree with is the stance of having no sympathy for a woman who is raped when drunk. That I could never agree with.
Original post by Swanbow
People go out and get drunk on New Years eve, hardly breaking news it? I hate the way the Daily Mail try demonise everything and turn into a scandal.

I think that's exactly what they're trying to point out, that excessive drinking is not breaking news because our society has got to the point where we're so used to it - despite how unhealthy it is for a society when its people are engaging in the type of behaviour shown in some of those photos under the influence of alcohol.
Reply 165
Original post by tazarooni89
I think that's exactly what they're trying to point out, that excessive drinking is not breaking news because our society has got to the point where we're so used to it - despite how unhealthy it is for a society when its people are engaging in the type of behaviour shown in some of those photos under the influence of alcohol.

Excessive drinking is approximately 6,000 years old. Its the oldest social convention known to man. Its hardly some new phenomenon that we've had to get used to.
Original post by 2ndClass
That girl in the red dress could get it :colone:
what dress?
And some define this as "fun".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by py0alb
Excessive drinking is approximately 6,000 years old. Its the oldest social convention known to man. Its hardly some new phenomenon that we've had to get used to.

What do you mean? Yes, it's 6,000 years old - that's why we're so unfortunately used to it. I don't see the article suggesting that this has only come about recently.
Reply 169
What do you mean? Yes, it's 6,000 years old - that's why we're so unfortunately used to it. I don't see the article suggesting that this has only come about recently.

Why does it have to be unfortunately? Unless you're some kind of misanthropist, surely so many people going out and happily enjoying themselves is something to be celebrated?

I used to love binge drinking when I was an undergrad. I looked forward to the end of lectures and the start of happy hour every day. They were some of the best nights of my life. The idea that going out and having fun, meeting new people, and bonding with your friends is something that should be looked down upon is preposterous.
Reply 170

I think this is based on the fact that this has been reported 'in the news'. i.e. this is news to us, not heard of before.

So many people getting that drunk is new, especially for women.
Original post by py0alb
Why does it have to be unfortunately? Unless you're some kind of misanthropist, surely so many people going out and happily enjoying themselves is something to be celebrated?

I used to love binge drinking when I was an undergrad. I looked forward to the end of lectures and the start of happy hour every day. They were some of the best nights of my life. The idea that going out and having fun, meeting new people, and bonding with your friends is something that should be looked down upon is preposterous.

Having fun and bonding with your friends is not something to be looked down upon, but I don't see how it is anything other than "unfortunate" that people are engaging in violence and getting injured, passing out and throwing up on the streets, vastly increasing the number of emergency 999 calls etc. and just generally acting in a manner that they would be completely embarrassed about, if only they could see themselves.

If people are enjoying themselves responsibly without these extra side effects, then fine - they're not the people I'm referring to, nor the people that the article is looking down upon.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Dragonfly07
Just went back in the thread and read the rest of the posts. Absolutely disgusting.

This is another example of where men on TSR all take the defensive position to defend other men, which they ALWAYS seem to do for some reason. Even in the relationship forum where people ask for advice, no matter whether the person asking for advice is male or female, most of the men on TSR will automatically take the man's side by putting themselves in his shoes and then automatically going on the defensive.

It's actually making me think that the majority of people who are saying it's the woman's fault for putting herself in a vulnerable position - these people are actually the ones who would rape or have already raped drunk women before.

I'd love to know what would happen in a world scenario if men were the ones to get bum raped when they were drunk. Would the majority of them give up getting wasted in parties? Would they try to make themselves look unattractive/unappealing before leaving the house to try to avoid being objectified and/or raped?

I'd seriously like to see all the people who say women ask to be raped go on a trip to London. I'd like them to get lost in a ghetto neighborhood in south London and have some of them stabbed to death and the rest mugged. When they get back I'll just laugh and say they deserved it for going to dangerous places at night time. Funny thing is, they'll probably go all stereotypical and blame black people, but they'll cry if women call all men pigs/rapists.

What a load of emotional and fabricated nonsense.
Original post by Rybee
omg I don't get it either. I honestly think me and you are in a different thread. I feel like I'm having to argue a point that I never said, time after time.

Original post by SuziieB
Omg, NO ONE is listening to me.

I see people are still not understanding the point we started making about 12(?) hours ago :biggrin:
Reply 175
These pictures are a reflection of the deep moral issues inflicted upon British society by cultural marxism.
It's New Years Eve.. What did you expect?
Original post by CJKay
Yes. I advise walking down a street in Alabama holding hands with your partner.

Oh, sorry, was I meant to agree with you..?

Well if you don't agree with me then at least produce a coherent argument against the premise of mine.

You fail in your reponse because I never said anything about alabama, we are quite clearly talking about the UK. It's the equivelant of me asking should christian preachers be stopped from preaching in the streets of the uk then you saying they should because it's dangerous for preachers to preach in the streets of iran!!!??? Makes no sense at all.
Yeh, things can happen but it's not the women's fault. It doesn't matter if someone's passed out cold wearing next to nothing, it doesn't mean they're asking to be raped, they clearly need help getting home/finding their friends and no one has the right to take advantage of that no matter how self inflicted it is.
Original post by Rybee
x

'No sympathy'? That's interesting. So what exactly is it that stops you from raping passed out drunk women? Clearly it isn't out of respect for the woman, since by your logic they basically deserve it. After all, if they didn't deserve it, surely they would be worthy of sympathy. Besides, in your world, it would be her fault and not yours. I can only guess it's down to purely selfish reasons, such as fear of being sent to jail. How disturbing.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending