Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello my fellow IB-ers!

OK so my IOP is nearing and I have a professor who has just begun working in the IB and is pretty much clueless when it comes to grading and standards and basically anything that concerns IB specifically = I need help.
    I was thinking about doing a well structured, albeit a bit plain analysis of a theme/symbol/motif/character.. but when I told that to my professor, she said that in the past years only the 'bad students' did the analysis - everyone else had dialogues between characters and stuff like that. This year the entirety of my class is acting. Except me.

Alas, so far I have these topics:
    - the symbol of the bird breaking from the egg (Demian, H. Hesse)
    - nietzschean philosophy in 'Demian' and in 'The Metamorphosis'
    - impact of Kafka's personal life on writing 'The Metamorphosis' (here I guess I could have something like a talk show, get someone to act Kafka while I'm the host and extract quotes from the book and ask him about them, inquire about his life etc)

What do you think which one would be the best?

Also - good grades, bad grades, anecdotes, what to do, what not to do.. write and I'll love you forever.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    What's the IOP?

And also, how come it's all German-focused, out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Polymath)
    What's the IOP?

And also, how come it's all German-focused, out of interest?
    Individual Oral Presentation, part of the Language A1 course (in my case, Serbian) in the IB. Basically talking 10-15 min on any subject you want as long as it's somehow connected to the works you read in class.

And out of 3 books offered only ( ! ) 2 were German.

ReputationRep:
    The talk show idea sounds pretty good.

Personally, my teacher said that it wasn't necessary to do something creative and a normal powerpoint presentation where you just do analysis is fine so long the presentation is well rehearsed and strong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sic)
    Hello my fellow IB-ers!

OK so my IOP is nearing and I have a professor who has just begun working in the IB and is pretty much clueless when it comes to grading and standards and basically anything that concerns IB specifically = I need help.
    I was thinking about doing a well structured, albeit a bit plain analysis of a theme/symbol/motif/character.. but when I told that to my professor, she said that in the past years only the 'bad students' did the analysis - everyone else had dialogues between characters and stuff like that. This year the entirety of my class is acting. Except me.

Alas, so far I have these topics:
    - the symbol of the bird breaking from the egg (Demian, H. Hesse)
    - nietzschean philosophy in 'Demian' and in 'The Metamorphosis'
    - impact of Kafka's personal life on writing 'The Metamorphosis' (here I guess I could have something like a talk show, get someone to act Kafka while I'm the host and extract quotes from the book and ask him about them, inquire about his life etc)

What do you think which one would be the best?

Also - good grades, bad grades, anecdotes, what to do, what not to do.. write and I'll love you forever.
    ]

I think in terms of acting or not acting, it is all about personal preference. I did mine as a general presentation and got a 7. I analysed 'Down and out in Paris and London' and related it to Orwell's criticism of the 1930s society. I then related this to his intention, effect on the reader and specific literacy techniques he used-this may apply to you text? The good thing about a talk show is that it makes it interactive which is worth 10 marks over 30. With this you have to remember that you are not marked on what another person may say so you need to make sure what you want to say would fit into the talk show.

Hope this helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lisa.coverson)
    ]

I think in terms of acting or not acting, it is all about personal preference. I did mine as a general presentation and got a 7. I analysed 'Down and out in Paris and London' and related it to Orwell's criticism of the 1930s society. I then related this to his intention, effect on the reader and specific literacy techniques he used-this may apply to you text? The good thing about a talk show is that it makes it interactive which is worth 10 marks over 30. With this you have to remember that you are not marked on what another person may say so you need to make sure what you want to say would fit into the talk show.

Hope this helped!

I'm quite not sure what you mean.. So, if I write the script for the talk show and get someone to act, it doesn't count as a part of my own presentation or what?
    Also, is it important to go through the entire book with your topic and refer to the plot all the time?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, what I mean was more if they were talking freely about the novel then you wouldn't be marked on what they say (I had this debate with my teacher as I wanted to do the same) If the talk is scripted then I'm sure it would be different as they are saying what you have wrote.
    I focused mine on two particular chapters as I felt the entire novel was too broad. You could pick particular sections that relate to you title? This is what my class did.
    No problem, good luck with your IOP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lisa.coverson)
    Sorry, what I mean was more if they were talking freely about the novel then you wouldn't be marked on what they say (I had this debate with my teacher as I wanted to do the same) If the talk is scripted then I'm sure it would be different as they are saying what you have wrote.
    I focused mine on two particular chapters as I felt the entire novel was too broad. You could pick particular sections that relate to you title? This is what my class did.
    No problem, good luck with your IOP
    Thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.