Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are laws different around the world & why is religion involved? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think laws should be consistent around the globe & be totally separate from religion, all humans should live by the same rules in terms of the justice system, who else agrees & if not why is the current system better?

EDIT: Thanks for all the useful replies & I suppose it's just too unrealistic for everyone to have the same morals :sigh: Therefore I've realised that having differing legal systems for sovereign states with most people of similar beliefs/culture is probably the best it can be right now.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    Personally I think laws should be consistent around the globe & be totally separate from religion, all humans should live by the same rules in terms of the justice system, who else agrees & if not why is the current system better?
    No.

Laws are social contracts to benefit society (a group of people). Not everyone agrees on what benefits them, as we have different aims in life, so we retain the right to split up and form our own agreements with each other.

Think of a caveman situation - there are 100 humans, and no laws. Thinking of a common law to govern them all would be impossible, as not everyone would agree to it. Instead, people split up into groups of people who agree on laws, so that chaos does not ensure. e.g. "Everyone who thinks we should not kill, come to my tribe!"

ReputationRep:
    because religion is closely tied in into culture and into peoples perception of right and wrong.
    But focusing on 'global law': different people can have very different perceptions of what is just. Some people are conservative, some are liberal, some are religious, other do not believe in a diethy. You cannot possibly have law that will satisfy everyone.

ReputationRep:
    No. It's a terrible idea.

We can't even coincide EU laws within the European Courts, let alone International Laws. Look at how terrible International Human Rights laws are. It will just never work. We can't decide domestically on whether to let homosexuals marry... Can you imagine negotiating laws with Eastern African countries like Somalia and Uganda on Homosexual Marriage? They will not tolerate any level of homosexual activity at all and reserve the death penalty for it, let alone the thought of marriage.

It'll never happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Polymath)
    No.

Laws are social contracts to benefit society (a group of people). Not everyone agrees on what benefits them, as we have different aims in life, so we retain the right to split up and form our own agreements with each other.

Think of a caveman situation - there are 100 humans, and no laws. Thinking of a common law to govern them all would be impossible, as not everyone would agree to it. Instead, people split up into groups of people who agree on laws, so that chaos does not ensure. e.g. "Everyone who thinks we should not kill, come to my tribe!"
    Yeah but I don't think belief systems are really segregated by countries tbh, for example in some countries infant circumcision is legal but the child might not grow up to conform with their parents religious beliefs (I'm saying this because I was born with in a Muslim family & wouldn't exactly class myself as a muslim). You could say the same thing about abortion which is only legal when the mother's life is in danger in some countries, say if the mother got raped & wants an abortion, surely it'd be a hassle having to move to a different country. I think at the end of the day it all comes down to pros/cons & whether it'd be more difficult to implement a common international law then what it is at the moment.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    Yeah but I don't think belief systems are really segregated by countries tbh, for example in some countries infant circumcision is legal but the child might not grow up to conform with their parents religious beliefs (I'm saying this because I was born with in a Muslim family & wouldn't exactly class myself as a muslim). You could say the same thing about abortion which is only legal when the mother's life is in danger in some countries, say if the mother got raped & wants an abortion, surely it'd be a hassle having to move to a different country. I think at the end of the day it all comes down to pros/cons & whether it'd be more difficult to implement a common international law then what it is at the moment.
    What I listed were reasons for different legal systems.
    What you listed were flaws with the *current implementation* of this idea. I don't like the way it works either, but I know that even in a perfect world, we would have different countries and legal systems.

ReputationRep:
    I think having a world-wide legal system is a utopian ideal. So I think it would be the ideal situation, but there's no way it will happen any time soon, if ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Polymath)
    What I listed were reasons for different legal systems.
    What you listed were flaws with the *current implementation* of this idea. I don't like the way it works either, but I know that even in a perfect world, we would have different countries and legal systems.
    Ok fair enough, I suppose your right tbh. I just want everyone around the world to have the same morals really but will that ever happen :rolleyes: unlikely isn't it

P.S. Well done for winning male of the year :congrats:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.