Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am currently in year 9 and i think i would like to become a midwife , later in this school term i will be choosing what subjects i get to pick.

I am set 1 for sciences so triple science is required. Other subjects that are required in my school is : English, Maths, A Language (i am choosing French), Religious Education and either History or Geography or both if i want and Physical Education:mad:

The extra subjects available that i know of are: Business studies, Design technology, Food tech, Textiles, Art, Drama, Music, IT, Travel & Tourism or Hospitality and Catering.

I'm not sure if there are any other subjects but this is all that was on my school website.

Please let me know soon and if possible can you also let me know the requirement to become a midwife ( A-levels, amount of GCSEs) and also whether i should go to sixth form or college and the best universities to study midwifery .

Thank you very much

Victoria

ReputationRep:
    It really doesn't make any difference what GCSEs you do! However at A level you should take biology and then whatever else you want to do! Sociology, psychology and health and social care would be good choices! If you didn't want to do A levels, you could go to college and do a health and social care diploma! However if you're quite academic then you should do A levels! You then have to go to university and do a midwifery degree!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Oh and you'll need 5 GCSEs at grade C or above and then three A levels at about grade ABB but this will depend on which university you apply to!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    GCSE don't really matter when it comes to that as long as you have decent grade in science etc. Your Sixth Form choices do and I think you have to go, don't know about uni.
    If I would want to become a midwife, for my A levels I would definitely pick Biology, Health and Social care and than either Psychology or sociology plus a well respected subject like a language, English lit, Maths or another science so you will have a good academic background when you go to uni.

ReputationRep:
    Wow it's impressive that you already know what career you would like to pursue in the future. Since the age of 9, I've always wanted to become a doctor and here I am in year 11, taking my a level chemistry early.

A girl in my sixth form (left last year to start her devloping of being a midwife) recommended that in order to be able to compete with other applicants, you should display your commitment to the profession as a midwife. Start considering what places you'd like to do work experience in because the places are long and competitve - so it's best to get your Interview techniques and convey the impression that you are willing to be motivated up to scratch.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.