Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How similar are the planning exercises at OASC in comparison to the busmans holiday example?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The scenarios are just a platform to analyse your ability to absorb information, extract the key points and then formulate a plan inside the given parameters, including thinking outside the box. It will generally consist of a non-military scenario which requires moving something somewhere with some sort of time limit and an associated burden. You'll have to take into consideration speeds, times, distances and try to focus on what is important and the overall aim of the plan.

Once you've come up with it you will then have to defend it either from your peers in order to have your plan be selected as the group plan, or present it to the directing staff and answer questions about it.

Simples

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the above advice I feel like I am making a mountain out of a mole hill I think it's because I am only 18 and I feel that the birding officer would probers prefer a older more experienced candidate so I feel I have to know everything

On all the planning exercises I have attempted you seem to be given the distance and a speed in order to work out times. Is that the case with the ones at OASC?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mudmover)
    You seem to be given the distance and a speed in order to work out times. Is that the case with the ones at OASC?
    Sometimes, sometimes you might be given the speed and need to work out the time or calculate how much fuel you will need.

I think it's because I am only 18 and I feel that the birding officer would probers prefer a older more experienced candidate so I feel I have to know everything
    You don't have to know everything (although proof reading will improve your credibility). Age has nothing to do with it and experience is simply a way to show how you have made the most of the opportunities you have been presented with. The OASC booklet you were sent tells you exactly what they look for at each point and is certainly worth a read.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you jacet

I know is shouldn't let my age worry me, I feel that I know all the information ad I have been practicing a lot of speed distance time calculations.

It just got me thinking that all the planning exs I have practiced make you find a time from a speed and a distance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mudmover)
    Thank you jacet

I know is shouldn't let my age worry me, I feel that I know all the information ad I have been practicing a lot of speed distance time calculations.

It just got me thinking that all the planning exs I have practiced make you find a time from a speed and a distance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is good practice (especially if you are doing an aptitude tested branch) but please note there is a LOT more to some planning exercises than just speed distance time. It sounds so simple but you could fall down just by not paying attention to detail. This is most important when the planning ex has a chart at the bottom with the speed/distance/time already calculated for you. The pressure of completing it with a short time can lead to missing important words in the description.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Yeah don't focus on one result either, there may be several ways to complete the exercise, and they may change the scenario so you have to show you have foresight to see problems. And as others have said read it properly relax and just trust in your ability.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 7, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.