Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I joined St.John ambulance a few weeks ago in order to get medical some experience as I want to do medicine. I went for a week and they said I joined late and so I will be starting a course with the new set of people after the new year. I missed a couple of weeks due to school commitments. Could anyone tell me what kind of stuff I will be doing in the course? I am 16 and have joined the cadets. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm 15 and am in cadets I also want to do medicine at uni Basically the 'new course' is that if you are 16-18 you can no longer join the adults unit and have to do extra training in the cadets unit to become an advanced first aid apprentice so when you are 18 you could be an advanced first aider but you will hopefully be going to uni by then In our sessions we work towards the Grand Prior award which contains sections like communications and hobbies. We also do first aid (obviously haha) for about half the sessions. On weekends you can go on duties with the adult volunteers and depending on how long you have been going you can treat casualties fill in the forms for the paramedics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ginger_Gymnast92)
    Hi I'm 15 and am in cadets I also want to do medicine at uni Basically the 'new course' is that if you are 16-18 you can no longer join the adults unit and have to do extra training in the cadets unit to become an advanced first aid apprentice so when you are 18 you could be an advanced first aider but you will hopefully be going to uni by then In our sessions we work towards the Grand Prior award which contains sections like communications and hobbies. We also do first aid (obviously haha) for about half the sessions. On weekends you can go on duties with the adult volunteers and depending on how long you have been going you can treat casualties fill in the forms for the paramedics.
    So i heard about doing the membership award what is that and is the course similar to DofE because I did a bronze award in that. Thanks alot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medicinehopefull)
    So i heard about doing the membership award what is that and is the course similar to DofE because I did a bronze award in that. Thanks alot!
    I'm not sure if this has changed with the new scheme but when I did my membership award all we had to do was fill in worksheets on the uniform and the history of st John and stuff. We also did CPR and the recovery position.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.