Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I wanted to get a job a while ago so I sent off about 6 letters to places that were hiring with only one reply, which was a no. I thought about pub work like my brother but my family were against it as I look younger than I am and my brother and parents didn't like the thought of me working with drunkards Do you guys have any advise on getting replies from shops?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Get a paper round, you're unlikely to get a proper part time job under 16. It does appen, but it's far from commonplace and won't he your hopes up I ths economic climate

ReputationRep:
    Most pubs require recruits to be over 18, unless they have a specific role for you: just cleaning up tables, washing dishes etc. Though this is usually all part of the 'bartender' role, where you need to be over 18 to sell alcohol.

Being under 16, without your national insurance number yet, it's going to be extremely difficult to find a job - your only hope would be through connections (know any friends/family that own retail/restaurant places?).

ReputationRep:
    When i was fifteen i when around to every shop in my village and ask about jobs, giving my details and my CV, and there are a considerable number of shops in my village, about three or four of them being pubs. Aaannyywaayy, basically i did not receive a single reply because of my age, but when i turned 16 the first place i asked was local conference center (i didn't go when ii was 15 cause i was sure they'd say no) and i got an immediate yes

Anyway, that was unnecessarily long, but basically, if you're 15, seriously, wait it out. If you're younger, not to sound patronising, but get a paper round like i did! It doesn't take up you're whole day or evening and you're still getting cash in your pocket

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I would happily take a paper round but my village is so spread out that we need the van :/ otherwise I really would be off for hours :P , also I'm 15 in a month if that is any use :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CreatorGal14)
    also I'm 15 in a month if that is any use :P
    Still not going to get you anywhere.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.