Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Worried that I've damaged something in my hand watch

ReputationRep:
    About two hours ago, I hit my hand really hard on the corner of a cupboard and there was a cracking sound. It hurt a lot, but then went completely numb about a minute afterwards. Now, where I hit it, it has turned purple and part of my hand is completely numb. Also, my fingers and wrist keep going numb and my whole arm hurts. Does anyone have any advice? It's the hand I write with and I have an exam tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    The exam may be a problem, there's a girl in my year who damaged the nerves in her hand after cutting it and she now has extra time, but i'm not sure how long it takes to process something like that. Definitely explain this to your teachers tomorrow and put your hand on ice as soon as possible to reduce the swelling, wrap something around it too to keep it on while you sleep.

GOOD LUCK!

ReputationRep:
    Get your parent(s) to take you to a doctor tomorrow if it's still too bad for you to write (inform the school and make sure you get an official doctor's note for them saying you couldn't be expected to do the exam). If it's so bad you think you need an x-ray, go to A&E instead (don't go now unless you're seriously worried about your health/damaging it further by not seeking help immediately) as your GP is only going to send you there if you need one anyway. You don't want to be sitting in A&E at this time of night unless you can't avoid it though. If it seems to be mostly better tomorrow, inform your exams officer before the exam of what happened, they should know what to do in terms of making a note of it in case you find it suddenly starts hurting in the exam, or if it gets worse in time for another exam for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FuzzingSas)
    The exam may be a problem, there's a girl in my year who damaged the nerves in her hand after cutting it and she now has extra time, but i'm not sure how long it takes to process something like that. Definitely explain this to your teachers tomorrow and put your hand on ice as soon as possible to reduce the swelling, wrap something around it too to keep it on while you sleep.

GOOD LUCK!
    To my knowledge (based only on potential 'broscience' related to running injuries), there's no real benefit to keeping ice on an injury for more than around 10 minutes at a time. Plus it's got to be a ***** trying to get to sleep with your hand on ice...

ReputationRep:
    If it is purple and swollen the chances are you have broken something and its probably going to be too painful to concentrate on your exam tomorrow. You need to go to A&E or minor injuries and they will send you for an x-ray. But if you do go into your exam tomorrow the chances are you wont get extra time but they may get an invigilator to write your answers for you or let you use a computer. You can claim special consideration afterwards if you get a doctors note to say it was badly damaged. But u need to see a doctor because if it is broken and you dont get it re-set or supported you could do more damage.
    On a lighter note though, good luck tomorrow! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FuzzingSas)

GOOD LUCK!
    (Original post by Ronove)
    Get your parent(s) to take you to a doctor tomorrow if it's still too bad for you to write (inform the school and make sure you get an official doctor's note for them saying you couldn't be expected to do the exam). If it's so bad you think you need an x-ray, go to A&E instead (don't go now unless you're seriously worried about your health/damaging it further by not seeking help immediately) as your GP is only going to send you there if you need one anyway. You don't want to be sitting in A&E at this time of night unless you can't avoid it though. If it seems to be mostly better tomorrow, inform your exams officer before the exam of what happened, they should know what to do in terms of making a note of it in case you find it suddenly starts hurting in the exam, or if it gets worse in time for another exam for some reason.
    (Original post by Ronove)
    To my knowledge (based only on potential 'broscience' related to running injuries), there's no real benefit to keeping ice on an injury for more than around 10 minutes at a time. Plus it's got to be a ***** trying to get to sleep with your hand on ice...
    (Original post by emilylucas)
    If it is purple and swollen the chances are you have broken something and its probably going to be too painful to concentrate on your exam tomorrow. You need to go to A&E or minor injuries and they will send you for an x-ray. But if you do go into your exam tomorrow the chances are you wont get extra time but they may get an invigilator to write your answers for you or let you use a computer. You can claim special consideration afterwards if you get a doctors note to say it was badly damaged. But u need to see a doctor because if it is broken and you dont get it re-set or supported you could do more damage.
    On a lighter note though, good luck tomorrow! x
    Thank you all for replying I dont think it's broken, as I can't feel much pain. My whole arm is numb, however, it hurts my wrist and fingers when I move them, and I can't actually feel anything where I originally hit it. However, this happened when I broke my nose, so if it gets any worse, I'll go to A&E.
    Thank you for the advice!
    Lizzie

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.