Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi TSR!

I am pursuing a master's degree which is starting this January.

Is there anyone that knows if I can apply for a second master's degree for the september intake? I mean... Is there any practical problem, apart the huge amount of work that is required? :confused:

The courses of the first MA ends in September and then I have 3 months for the dissertation and I am considering to start another one at that time, cause most of the good unis have only September intakes.

Before you judge my thought, please let me know if it is possible!

Thank you in advance guys

ReputationRep:
    Don't be silly.

The research project (thesis) is the most important part of a Masters - and is intense and demanding. To think of doing anything else alongside it is ludicrous.

And - why on earth do you want TWO Masters degrees?

ReputationRep:
    What returnmigrant says ^^

Also if I was assessing your application for the 2nd masters I would deny it for the reason that your time is already taken up by writing a dissertation.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thanks for your replies! It's just a thought guys, calm down!

@returnmigrant It is relevant to the first one. I am considering it as I want to specialize in one more area and it is something directly useful to the field of work I want to go in. Plus, I don't want to wait 9 more months until September 2014 for the second one.

@Rybee Yeah you have a point. I thought about that too, although it's only for the first 3 months. But thanks, that's why I wanted your opinion!

Anyway, I just asked if it is doable! Once again, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Must admit in your place I'd wait to start the second one if your heart's set on it. My Masters dissertation was all-encompassing - I barely had time to eat for the last four months of my Masters. Just the thought of trying to keep on top of another lot of Masters reading and coursework at the same time, makes me break out in a cold sweat.

And to be honest, I can't see an application for a second overlapping Masters being given much credence. The admissions and teaching staff will know the reality of your situation and will understand exactly how much free time your first Masters won't give you for the new course.

However, good luck to you if you decide to go for it - you're definitely a better man than I!

ReputationRep:
    I was recently in the same boat when there was a 3 mth overlap of my two masters courses. My approach was to plan my time quite well and get the majority of my work finished ahead of starting the second course. There were still some bits to do here and there and with the new course having quite an amount of pre reading for each lecture it was a pretty stressful time but I managed it and also got a distinction on my dissertation so i would say that whilst not an ideal situation to be in, it is possible

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.