Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys, I'm a little confused..

I understand the processes of each one, i know that both are set off by a damaged blood vessel and in atherosclerosis white blood cells accumulate fatty substances whereas in blood clotting platelet plug make a platelet plug and release thromboplastin etc..

But i dont understand what determines which of these processes will occur. Surely there are white blood cells and platelets in the blood at all times, so why don't white blood cells create an atheroma in veins when damaged as opposed to a thrombosis forming? Or do they? Is it just dependent on whether the white blood cells or the platelets react with the damaged wall first?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainybonsai)
    Hey Guys, I'm a little confused..

I understand the processes of each one, i know that both are set off by a damaged blood vessel and in atherosclerosis white blood cells accumulate fatty substances whereas in blood clotting platelet plug make a platelet plug and release thromboplastin etc..

But i dont understand what determines which of these processes will occur. Surely there are white blood cells and platelets in the blood at all times, so why don't white blood cells create an atheroma in veins when damaged as opposed to a thrombosis forming? Or do they? Is it just dependent on whether the white blood cells or the platelets react with the damaged wall first?
    I think it's to do with whether or not lipoproteins enter the blood vessel wall? If they do so, then this could potentially lead to atherosclerosis. (The lipoproteins contain the "fatty substance" which is then taken up by the white blood cells in the vessel wall.)

And atherosclerosis damages the wall, so can lead to thrombus.

I imagine damage to the wall could lead to both clotting and the beginning of athersclerosis occurring.

ReputationRep:
    Blood travels at higher pressure in the arteries which means there is higher risk of peripheral resistance and damage to the endothelium of the artery. This damage can create the development of the whole process of atherosclerosis and eventually the formation of an atheroma.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.