Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

African Cup of Nation 2013 Watch

ReputationRep:
    Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TRS-T)
    Ethiopia had good support in the stadium.

Possibly the best travelling support in the tournament?
    It really is. That sea of yellow was a thing of beauty.

ReputationRep:
    The less said about Nigeria's performance, the better. Like group B, this group is looking like it will be very exciting. Ethiophia showed they're not here to make up the numbers. They really displayed good grit and sangfroid when required and still played good football.

We've had our paradoxical refeering performance. He got most of the big decision right such as the red card and booking Mbesuma for diving but messed up a few thing such as the injury time at end of first half.

ReputationRep:
    Really impressed by Ethiopia today. Never stopped going forward, never looked like they were going to settle for the draw; remarkable given they were playing with 10 men. Said, Asrat and Hinsta were excellent, but Lungu, Mweene and Sunzu were very good for Zambia as well. The latter was flawless, far too good to be playing in Africa and has been the best defender in Africa by quite a distance, looking forward to seeing how he does at Reading.

Nigeria-Zambia on Friday will be feisty. I liked Keshi's post-match conference, seemed calm and positive, a stark contrast to Zambia, whose captain Chris Katongo tried the old only-those-who-have-ever-played-football-should-criticise-us logic and their coach Renard was quite downbeat.

(Original post by TRS-T)
    Ethiopia had good support in the stadium.

Possibly the best travelling support in the tournament?
    There's a huge Ethiopian ex-pat community in South Africa. Loooads turned up to welcome the team at the airport. Mind you, there's a huge Zambian ex-pat community in SA too but very few of them turned up today. So props to Ethiopia.

ReputationRep:
    What a goal from Tunisia, finally a win!

ReputationRep:
    Great goal. Such a shame Msakni is off to Qatari, I think there are some sides/coaches in Europe that could polish him and turn him to an even better player than he already is.

A lot to play for in Group D now. That last match between Ivory Coast and Algeria suddenly isn't a dead rubber - well, assuming Algeria win against Togo, which is far from certain. Togo impressed me today, saw shades of their 1-0 win over Morocco a few months back - very good on the ball for an underdog Sub-Saharan side, so they've definitely got a chance, even against 'big' teams lie they showed today, and Adebayor is the ideal modern-day target man. Nullified Drogba brilliantly by man-marking him, given Ivory Coast's system is tailored for Drogba that's exactly what other sides should do.

Ivory Coast were poor. Very nervous backline, a more lethal attack would have punished them. But they got the win. Guys like Kalou, Bony, Tiote came off the bench and made a difference, just shows their might.

ReputationRep:
    Puma have been doing good short videos on the IC/Ghana teams.

Ivory Coast team-mates:

Ghana team-mates:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Ghana game time/Derek Boateng making sure the foreign-born players are singing:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Plenty of other videos on Puma's youtube channel.

ReputationRep:
    Have been pretty much occupied lately so have missed a few games. BK were impressive against Ethiopia, Togo were impressive yesterday and Ivory Coast are playing some really good tidy football. South Africa and Cape Verde also impressed. The Arabs nation have been unimpressive and very dissapointing.

In todays matches, I expect South Africa and Cape Verde to both win and thus qualify from Group A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    Puma have been doing good short videos on the IC/Ghana teams.

Ivory Coast team-mates:

Ghana team-mates:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Ghana game time/Derek Boateng making sure the foreign-born players are singing:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Plenty of other videos on Puma's youtube channel.
    These are pretty cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Have been pretty much occupied lately so have missed a few games. BK were impressive against Ethiopia, Togo were impressive yesterday and Ivory Coast are playing some really good tidy football. South Africa and Cape Verde also impressed. The Arabs nation have been unimpressive and very dissapointing.

In todays matches, I expect South Africa and Cape Verde to both win and thus qualify from Group A.
    I'm not so convinced about BK. Obviously got firepower in Alain Traore and trickery in Pitroipa, but Ethiopia were absolutely out of it after 70 minutes. It says a lot about how poor Ethiopia were that they managed to concede 3 goals when playing against 10 men. With 22 of their 23 players based in Ethiopia, I think the standard of their fitness was their downfall in the end - not just stamina wise but physically as well. BK aren't extraordinary, just very physical for the most part. On that note, I expect Nigeria to beat Ethiopia pretty comfortably, although reports suggest there's disunity in the camp.

Ivory Coast the most impressive team I've seen so far, and by quite a distance too. The Arab/Maghreb nations have come into the tournament with very young teams, I think that's contributed. A large chunk of their players are foreign-born too, that contributes. I think with Algeria it's more not having a top-class striker, far too rigid too, Feghouli aside. With Morocco, it's inexperience (a lot of the squad have under 10 caps, most capped outfield player is Benatia with 26 caps) and massive pressure to perform (37 years without success), they're sort of like England. Tunisia, a bit too tippy-tappy, not physical enough in attacking areas, although they are better suited to the African conditions - Tunisian clubs traditionally do well in Africa continental competitions, brilliant record in the last decade.

(Original post by 419)
    These are pretty cool.
    There's one of Eboue as well, very cool!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not so convinced about BK. Obviously got firepower in Alain Traore and trickery in Pitroipa, but Ethiopia were absolutely out of it after 70 minutes. It says a lot about how poor Ethiopia were that they managed to concede 3 goals when playing against 10 men. With 22 of their 23 players based in Ethiopia, I think the standard of their fitness was their downfall in the end - not just stamina wise but physically as well. BK aren't extraordinary, just very physical for the most part. On that note, I expect Nigeria to beat Ethiopia pretty comfortably, although reports suggest there's disunity in the camp.

Ivory Coast the most impressive team I've seen so far, and by quite a distance too. The Arab/Maghreb nations have come into the tournament with very young teams, I think that's contributed. A large chunk of their players are foreign-born too, that contributes. I think with Algeria it's more not having a top-class striker, far too rigid too, Feghouli aside. With Morocco, it's inexperience (a lot of the squad have under 10 caps, most capped outfield player is Benatia with 26 caps) and massive pressure to perform (37 years without success), they're sort of like England. Tunisia, a bit too tippy-tappy, not physical enough in attacking areas, although they are better suited to the African conditions - Tunisian clubs traditionally do well in Africa continental competitions, brilliant record in the last decade.

There's one of Eboue as well, very cool!

Yes, I guess a team will look better on highlights having won 4-0. But I fully expect Nigeria to beat Ethiophia. Trust Nigeria to have some infighting, almost too good to be true that they're all getting along you got a link for this?

Excellent insight into the Arab/ Maghreb nations (as usual for you ); explains a lot. Tunisia are easily the biggest dissapointment of the three because of their continential success and their lack of reliance on French born players *cough Morocco cough Algeria*, you would've thought they'd make a better account of themselves. Though they did come into the game in the second half against Ivory Coast but you didn't have any confidence in them to get a result but maybe I'm been too harsh as this is again looking like Ivory Coast's tournament to lose.

Miss Eboue

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Yes, I guess a team will look better on highlights having won 4-0. But I fully expect Nigeria to beat Ethiophia. Trust Nigeria to have some infighting, almost too good to be true that they're all getting along you got a link for this?

Excellent insight into the Arab/ Maghreb nations (as usual for you ); explains a lot. Tunisia are easily the biggest dissapointment of the three because of their continential success and their lack of reliance on French born players *cough Morocco cough Algeria*, you would've thought they'd make a better account of themselves. Though they did come into the game in the second half against Ivory Coast but you didn't have any confidence in them to get a result but maybe I'm been too harsh as this is again looking like Ivory Coast's tournament to lose.

Miss Eboue
    I think BF may be one of those sides where it all comes together through a bit of luck and momentum in the tournament. But we'll see how they do v Zambia, I expect it to be a tight match. Link to the Nigeria stuff: http://oluwashina.blogspot.co.uk/201...s-nest-as.html I don't think he is making it up, he is credible, very close to a lot of the Nigerian players and he is pro-Keshi.

Cheers Yep, Tunisia won the African Nations Championship (basically the Cup of Nations but only for domestic-based players) in 2011 so they should be doing better. I'd say only Ivory Coast beat their attacking pool, but looking through their squad I'd wager they're probably the youngest squad at this year's tournament. Bar Abdennour and goalkeeper Ben Cherifia, the rest of the defenders are either ordinary, technically limited and/or seriously lack pace. Structurally, there are problems too - they seem to play with little width, which is just asking for trouble in a tournament like the Cup of Nations!

ReputationRep:
    Cape Verde...what a journey.

We're talking about a nation with a population of thereabouts 500 000, making them the smallest footballing nation to participate in this year's competition.

We're talking about a team that now managed to qualify for the competition for the first time since its inception - sending Cameroon (!) crashing out in the process.

They end up in a very difficult group where we find the host nation South Africa, successful Morocco and also experienced Angola. And on the final match day (that is, today), they turn a 0-1 deficit to Angola into a 2-1 victory, consequently sending themselves to the quarter finals.

Cape Verde, I salute you! :adore:

The beautiful game.

ReputationRep:
    The final 10 minutes of the South Africa game vindicated my decision to watch some ACON this year. :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnWise)
    Cape Verde...what a journey.

We're talking about a nation with a population of thereabouts 500 000, making them the smallest footballing nation to participate in this year's competition.

We're talking about a team that now managed to qualify for the competition for the first time since its inception - sending Cameroon (!) crashing out in the process.

They end up in a very difficult group where we find the host nation South Africa, successful Morocco and also experienced Angola. And on the final match day (that is, today), they turn a 0-1 deficit to Angola into a 2-1 victory, consequently sending themselves to the quarter finals.

Cape Verde, I salute you! :adore:

The beautiful game.
    I'm really glad that they have gone through and tbh, not surprised that they have but surprised it was it was tense. Though their group was probably a nice one. SA are still trying to become a reputable force whilst Morocco are rebuilding and Angola seem lost. But don't let that belittle their mammoth achievement especially given that they stymied Cameroon's progression into the tournament and you can only face what is infront of you.

I salute them as well :adore:

ReputationRep:
    Link to the Nigeria stuff: http://oluwashina.blogspot.co.uk/201...s-nest-as.html I don't think he is making it up, he is credible, very close to a lot of the Nigerian players and he is pro-Keshi.
    I don't doubt the article for one second, all sounds way too familiar. Thought Keshi would be good at handling all the non-sense given his experience with Adebayor.

ReputationRep:
    It's been absolutely dire tbh. Such poor technical ability on show.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    It's been absolutely dire tbh. Such poor technical ability on show.
    No. Couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    No. Couldn't be more wrong if you tried.
    Dunno what you've been watching, its been crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Dunno what you've been watching, its been crap.
    Been watching most of the game. For an international tournament, it's been as good as any recent tournament and lots of technical players on show.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.