Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    It's been absolutely dire tbh. Such poor technical ability on show.
    Lazy stereotype of black players being good physically but poor technically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TRS-T)
    Lazy stereotype of black players being good physically but poor technically.
    Where did I say they were good physically?

Nothing to do with a stereotype, the quality of football has been bad.

ReputationRep:
    Mali DRC game was really good to watch. Mali were pretty darn impressive. Defended really well and when they wanted to pass the ball they did it very well (considering they don't have any technical ability :rolleyes:) and played the what I like to cal pseudo-counter attck tactic really well. Though, I would've liked Mbokani (who I realised after days of mind searching was part of the trio along with Fellaini and Witsel of Standard Liege that gave Liverpool really great match in champions league qualifier a few years back) to have taken on more of a domineering role towards the end of the game as Mali dropping deeper and deeper was playing to his favour- the lack of good services from out wide was dissapointing and probably didn't help his cause.

So a QF of SA vs Mali and Ghana vs CV. If all goes like it's suppose to, Ghana will reach the semi and play Mali despite been anything but impressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    It's been absolutely dire tbh. Such poor technical ability on show.
    What did you expect? I'll assume it's the first Afcon you've watched. Tuning into these tournaments expecting to see the level of elite European football is a pointless exercise, you won't get that quality for a range of reasons. If you want to see quality Ivory Coast are a good watch usually, as are Ghana on a good day. As strange as it may sound, I think the standard is actually improving!

(Original post by 419)
    Mali DRC game was really good to watch. Mali were pretty darn impressive. Defended really well and when they wanted to pass the ball they did it very well (considering they don't have any technical ability :rolleyes:) and played the what I like to cal pseudo-counter attck tactic really well. Though, I would've liked Mbokani (who I realised after days of mind searching was part of the trio along with Fellaini and Witsel of Standard Liege that gave Liverpool really great match in champions league qualifier a few years back) to have taken on more of a domineering role towards the end of the game as Mali dropping deeper and deeper was playing to his favour- the lack of good services from out wide was dissapointing and probably didn't help his cause.

So a QF of SA vs Mali and Ghana vs CV. If all goes like it's suppose to, Ghana will reach the semi and play Mali despite been anything but impressive.
    Mali are unspectacular but are very hard to beat. Most of their team is over 6'0" and they are very imposing (their games have been foul-heavy, same as the last Cup of Nations) and, as you say, they keep the ball well which helped alleviate pressure yesterday (also similar to their run in the last Cup of Nations). Like the last Cup of Nations, they'll also be facing the hosts in the quarter-final. Was disappointed by DRC's service for Mbokani too, they lacked an orthodox winger. Le Roy deployed LuaLua out on the left wing and took him off at half-time in each of the games. Wasn't working so a bit bizarre how he persisted with him, but it's not like the other wingers did any better when they came on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Where did I say they were good physically?

Nothing to do with a stereotype, the quality of football has been bad.
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, why do managers love playing a true no9 on the wing and play a more winger/striker player through the middle. Stop playing Emenike on the wing already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Seriously, why do managers love playing a true no9 on the wing and play a more winger/striker player through the middle. Stop playing Emenike on the wing already.
    And Ethiopia should have been down to 10 men after a few minutes.

ReputationRep:
    I'm Nigerian and I think AFCON is trash, mate I never watch it just pure rubbish. The commentators literally are just taking piss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    And Ethiopia should have been down to 10 men after a few minutes.
    Yep. Still managed to get one sent off. African players just don't hold back with their tackings :rofl:

(Original post by Kruz)
    I'm Nigerian and I think AFCON is trash, mate I never watch it just pure rubbish. The commentators literally are just taking piss.
    The tournament isn't rubbish. It's just Nigeria are rubbish. We've been on a down decline for ever now. Never ever I've I seen a team make Stoke look comparable to Barcelona. The amount of hoof ball was embarrassing. What's you beef with the commentators? Which coverage did you watch?

ReputationRep:
    Burkina Faso and Nigeria!! My teams are through!! :adore:

If looks could kill...(re: Ethiopia's manager). :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Yep. Still managed to get one sent off. African players just don't hold back with their tackings :rofl:

The tournament isn't rubbish. It's just Nigeria are rubbish. We've been on a down decline for ever. Never ever I've I seen a team make Stoke look comparable to Barcelona. The amount of hoof ball was embarrassing. What's you beef with the commentators? Which coverage did you watch?

Oh you're Nigerian no wonder got '419' :rofl: yeah Nigerian are bad now. The Jay Jay Okocha and Kanu days were good.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely atrocious refereeing in the Togo-Tunisia clash.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I swear this ref must've been bribed cos the decisions have been soooooooo bad

ReputationRep:
    Ditto.

But damn Adebayor when he can be arsed, he can be as good as the best. Haven't seen him play this good in a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Ditto.

But damn Adebayor when he can be arsed, he can be as good as the best. Haven't seen him play this good in a while.
    I concur, he had a great game.

ReputationRep:
    Never been so proud to be of Nigerian decent. Great achievement for the super eagles

ReputationRep:
    Was watching Ghana the other day, they're string favourites to win. Very impressive performance beating Cape Verdse Island 2-0

ReputationRep:
    Seeing IC lose today was very anticlimax for me. It's a massive injustice that this team will have no trophy to their name

ReputationRep:
    Raah Nigeria made it into the SF, might just have to start tuning in :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Seeing IC lose today was very anticlimax for me. It's a massive injustice that this team will have no trophy to their name
    Agreed. The majority of the squad have been together since their early teens in the 1990s with ASEC Mimosas - even 'young' members of the squad like Gervinho are part of the story, although they were obviously in the youth team. It's a team that's been built very well from bottom-up, so it's a shame the story doesn't have a fitting end. There's a misconception that they're just egoists who turn up and expect to win, but these guys genuinely enjoy playing for their NT, are humble and badly want to win something. You could see how much it means to the players at the end, and it'll be the last chance for many of the golden generation.

At the same time, though, they didn't deserve to go through. Haven't been defending well since Lamouchi took over, warning signs were there when Togo hurt them with their power and pace in the opening game. All the four semi-finalists are teams which have defended very well. Ivory Coast shouldn't have been so expansive, disrupting the Tiote-Zokora midfield pivot was a mistake, as bad as Kolo Toure has been.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.