Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Not able to write the greatest book ever written... :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I really want to write a book, I actually have typed up a few chapters on my samsung laptop and also in pen. I have drawn many of the visual ideas down, and have a pretty good idea of the arcs and what will happen to the protaginist(s).

The only problem is, I don't have a macbook and I don't like coffee, least not paying for it in chains like starbucks.

Will this hinder my chances of getting this book complete?

ReputationRep:
    Only your mind can set its own limitations.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not expert but I know it took J.K. Rowling a while to write the first Harry Potter book - though this was probably down to her having a kid etc.

All I can say is stick at it. If you're a good writer, you'll complete it with time. Writing is an art and art shouldn't be rushed. Just write when and as you can and hopefully one day you can convince a publisher to publish your book.

Good luck and well done for getting this far. Don't feel pressurised to rush. And no, you don't need a macbook or coffee to type, although caffeine helps keep you awake if you like to write for several hours straight.

ReputationRep:
    Just don't be that guy who types up his book in starbucks. srsly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the666thmessiah)
    So I really want to write a book, I actually have typed up a few chapters on my samsung laptop and also in pen. I have drawn many of the visual ideas down, and have a pretty good idea of the arcs and what will happen to the protaginist(s).

The only problem is, I don't have a macbook and I don't like coffee, least not paying for it in chains like starbucks.

Will this hinder my chances of getting this book complete?
    Hey, look at some of the most successful books out there right now. 50 Shades of Grey is written by a woman in the midst of a mid-life crisis with very poor grammar and she's sold as many copies as the Harry Potter series.

And JK Rowling wrote some chapters of Harry Potter on napkins in a small cafe. So not having a macbook is no excuse.

A bad workman blames his tools. But in all seriousness, if you really feel that you have this direction the book will get out there on its own merits. You don't need fancy software and overpriced beverages to do well as a writer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the666thmessiah)
    So I really
    want to write a book, I actually have typed up a
    few chapters on my samsung laptop and also in
    pen. I have drawn many of the visual ideas down,
    and have a pretty good idea of the arcs and what
    will happen to the protaginist(s).

Will this hinder my chances of getting this book
    complete?
    Publisher: Smashing story line. Let's talk about getting your book published over some starbucks Coffee whilst playing battleships on our Macbooks.

You: I dislike Starbuck's coffee and I do not own a macbook.

Publisher: :eek: GTFO you dirty scum :angry: and take your filthy book with ya.

Yeah, I can see that happening :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leighcakes)
    Hey, look at some of the most successful books out there right now. 50 Shades of Grey is written by a woman in the midst of a mid-life crisis with very poor grammar and she's sold as many copies as the Harry Potter series.
    That's the most upsetting thing I've ever heard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    That's the most upsetting thing I've ever heard
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012...n_1727334.html

Yup. DM lied to me as per - apparently she outsold the Harry Potter series on Amazon, not entirely. This still saddens me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.