Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help please!! - do students still used printed academic diaries?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm looking to re-introduce a printed diary for my new university student group next year, but one of my colleagues feels that students don't use them anymore, as they prefer 'tech-based' systems eg. on iPhone, BlackBerry etc.

Is this the case (so would I be better off perhaps developing an 'app'), or do undergrads still use printed diaries? If so, what sections/information would be of most use?? All feedback most gratefully accepted!

Many thanks...Helen

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I use a paper diary, I quite strangely like writing down work due, plans, and to do lists then ticking them off once completed. I've used quite a range of diaries in the past, I tried to use my Filofax as an academic diary but as it was a week over 2 pages I found it better suited as a diary for my day to day life outside of uni.
    For uni atm I'm using a day per page plain lined diary from Paperchase. I like having a page a day so I have space to write down everything I need to without have my writing squished up, plus that's the way my old school homework diary was set out and it worked well for me
    I also however use Google Calender so I have a rough timetabled diary on my phone, I also use the app Wunderlist on my phone and mac as an online to do list, I find the online diary element beneficial as well, especially over holiday periods when I have work due but am far more likely to have my phone on me than my diary.

Sorry that was so long!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have used paper based diaries in the past (particularly when I was in the sixth form and below), but since coming to university I have switched to a wall planner, which was provided by the university.

However, in a paper diary, I like to see space for a timetable, day-to-view format and a nice design.

Not all of us have smartphones - I have a Nokia C1!

ReputationRep:
    I use a paper-based planner, a ring-bound leather Filofax.

It works for me, as I just have a calendar on which to write notes and uni assignments, an 'urgent to-do' page with sticky notes which I just tear out when they're done, and some blank paper for note-taking. It also has a London street-map, which is useful, as sometimes my phone won't load maps if I don't have signal. It also has a pen loop (useful), a zipped pocket for important papers, and I can remove pages easily when I'm not using them.

HOWEVER, I am a bit of an organisation fan...this approach wouldn't work for everyone, and I do think that many students would prefer an app, so they don't have to carry a book around with them all day long.

ReputationRep:
    i use a paper diary it makes it easier to see and the act of writing it out helps me to remeber it more than if i typed it on my phone.

ReputationRep:
    I use a paper diary, a Moleskine week-to-view one. I love it because I can put all my appointments etc into the relevant days, and thus I can see my whole week laid out on one page; my diary also has a blank lined page opposite the planner, which is perfect for writing out lists, reminders., etc. If I have a lot to do on a particular day I'll write a list on the lined part, there's loads of space for organising it all. I also like that there's a blank space at the top of the planner part for writing in weekly goals or to-dos. My Moleskine also came with stickers I also like decorating the outside of it with various stickers, makes it more personal.

I used to have a Filofax but found, even in the personal size, that they were too small for me to write in easily, and the rings cramped my writing and meant I didn't use all the space available. I've had this problem with a lot of spiral-bound planners, which is why I like the Moleskine as it's bound; I have quite big writing though so I suspect it's just me! I did like the Filofax's pockets for storing things like ticket stubs etc. though.

ReputationRep:
    The biggest thing I can say is that every one of your students will organise themselves differently, so no one printed diary will suit them all.

I have a tiny week to view diary (cath Kidston) for this year, along with a bigger day per page for more detailed planning and to-do lists

ReputationRep:
    i use both because i lose the printed one every now and again and my phone isnt the greatest :P

ReputationRep:
    Printed everytime! Its much easier to see and plan when its a physical piece of paper you can flick through.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely consider using them as they will benefit them when they need to back peddle but give them a option to write up diaries electronically that is the best way.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I use a diary although probably not as effectively as I could. I've written out my entire term's timetable in it, as well as all my deadline dates and any meetings. I'm not the most organised person, so the act of having to write things down is helpful for me. Also, I can keep my diary in my bag- I sometimes forget my phone!

I think developing an app would be more problematic- not all students use smartphones, I didn't have one in my first term of university.

Please tell your collegue not to assume all students like using technology. I am sure many of them would appriciate the diary. I always make use of the freebies sometimes given to us by the university! If someone gave me a diary with all my deadlines written in it at the start of the year I would be so happy!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.