Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I found this workout plan online, is it any good? Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/11...ut-plan-women/

ReputationRep:
    Seems ok if you want to build muscle all over rather than tone. Lacking somewhat in core work and abs, which I expect you would want?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus2)
    Seems ok if you want to build muscle all over rather than tone.
    This doesn't make sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus2)
    Seems ok if you want to build muscle all over rather than tone. Lacking somewhat in core work and abs, which I expect you would want?
    What would you suggest doing instead then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadi95)
    What would you suggest doing instead then?
    What are your goals? Without knowing your goals no one can help you out as were all clueless to what you want to achieve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dhaden)
    What are your goals? Without knowing your goals no one can help you out as were all clueless to what you want to achieve.
    Sorry I'm 5ft 6 girl, weigh 9st10lbs, I'd like to lose a stone, and generally tone up everywhere, I'd like to be lean, not bulky, I know you can't just change one part of your body, but I am a pear shape so losing weight from my thighs and hips is the main thing for me

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I'm 5ft 6 girl, weigh 9st10lbs, I'd like to lose a stone, and generally tone up everywhere, I'd like to be lean, not bulky, I know you can't just change one part of your body, but I am a pear shape so losing weight from my thighs and hips is the main thing for me
    Okies, first thing you need to do is to make sure your burning up calories then your taking in, whether you do this by diet/weight lifting/cardio is up to you.

I'm not the best at giving advice to women about workout programs as it's hard to gage what women are comfortable in doing. Just ensure you work all parts of your body when exercising, whether you want to do this as a split (like your program suggests working different muscle groups each day) or incorporate more compound movements into program (moves which work several different muscle groups at one time is up to you).

I'd never suggest doing anywhere near 60 mins of low intensity cardio each day which the program suggests, more higher intensity cardio (HITT) for shorter periods of time will have better results. During weight training you should aim for a rep range up to around 15+ for muscular endurance (which will give your body a leaner look.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dhaden)
    Okies, first thing you need to do is to make sure your burning up calories then your taking in, whether you do this by diet/weight lifting/cardio is up to you.

I'm not the best at giving advice to women about workout programs as it's hard to gage what women are comfortable in doing. Just ensure you work all parts of your body when exercising, whether you want to do this as a split (like your program suggests working different muscle groups each day) or incorporate more compound movements into program (moves which work several different muscle groups at one time is up to you).

I'd never suggest doing anywhere near 60 mins of low intensity cardio each day which the program suggests, more higher intensity cardio (HITT) for shorter periods of time will have better results. During weight training you should aim for a rep range up to around 15+ for muscular endurance (which will give your body a leaner look.
    Thank you, one quick question, do you prefer free weights or machine, I don't usually like going into the free weight section of the gym as its full of arrogant men, but lots of people say the machines aren't as good?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, one quick question, do you prefer free weights or machine, I don't usually like going into the free weight section of the gym as its full of arrogant men, but lots of people say the machines aren't as good?
    I personally use free weights but it really doesn't matter, just do what your comfortable doing, your more likely to go to the gym then and see better results. Machine weights are very good at isolating muscles however free weights are usually better for compound exercise swhich most people will use as they can gain more muscle mass quicker, that's why they say free weights are "better".

This doesn't mean your only limited to isolation exericses by using machines, you can do bodyweight compound movements such as squats, pushups etc aside from doing machine weights and you will still see really good results.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.