Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Science project Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys i want to build a rubens tube for my high school science assembly.

I know how to put it together but im unsure of the length and diameter of the tubing required. Also will i need steel tubing?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    A Rubens Tube? The big flaming one? I wish my school would me handle flammable gases lol...

The length of tubing you have will affect the frequency of the signal generator that you use. You'll need to be sure of the range of frequencies you can generate if you want an exact length for the tube...

As of the material, I'd imagine it would have to be fire-retardent? I can't image to gas will burn too hot, so aluminium would probably do the job, and will be easier to cut etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qwertish)
    A Rubens Tube? The big flaming one? I wish my school would me handle flammable gases lol...

The length of tubing you have will affect the frequency of the signal generator that you use. You'll need to be sure of the range of frequencies you can generate if you want an exact length for the tube...

As of the material, I'd imagine it would have to be fire-retardent? I can't image to gas will burn too hot, so aluminium would probably do the job, and will be easier to cut etc.
    Yeah, haha my physics teacher is pretty cool XD

Yeah i was just thinking back to the overtone formulas and things, but we have a pretty wide ranged signal generator (and i was thinking of using dubstep music anyway) so i think the length wont matter too much cause we can always find the overtones quite easily :')

Aluminium? What about steel or ceramic? Theres a good bluecollor sort of area here, so i can get them to cut it for me. I reckon 5ft with holes every inch should do the job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kinglynx)
    Yeah, haha my physics teacher is pretty cool XD

Yeah i was just thinking back to the overtone formulas and things, but we have a pretty wide ranged signal generator (and i was thinking of using dubstep music anyway) so i think the length wont matter too much cause we can always find the overtones quite easily :')

Aluminium? What about steel or ceramic? Theres a good bluecollor sort of area here, so i can get them to cut it for me. I reckon 5ft with holes every inch should do the job?
    Well, for the frequency:

f_0 = \dfrac{v}{2L}

where v is the speed of the wave, L is the length of the pipe and f_0 is the fundamental frequency. Any integer multiple of f_0 will set up a standing wave in the tube, but you'll probably want three or four times f_0 for it to be impressive .

I only said aluminium because I've worked with it before and it's very malleable and whatnot, but mild steel would work very well as well. I'm not sure about ceramics though... Wouldn't they crack or shatter if you tried to drill a hole in them?

ReputationRep:
    Well, for the frequency:

f_0 = \dfrac{v}{2L}

where v is the speed of the wave, L is the length of the pipe and f_0 is the fundamental frequency. Any integer multiple of f_0 will set up a standing wave in the tube, but you'll probably want three or four times f_0 for it to be impressive .

I only said aluminium because I've worked with it before and it's very malleable and whatnot, but mild steel would work very well as well. I'm not sure about ceramics though... Wouldn't they crack or shatter if you tried to drill a hole in them?
    lol one of the tags is "latex" lolololol :3

Anyways, surely i can set up a standing wave regardless of the length of tubing because i have a continuous frequency generator? For example if a standin wave is set up at 4m at 150 hz (not true but lets say it is) and i buy 5.5m, i can just keep increasing the frequency until i set up a standing wave albeit at a weird offset frequency of 167.54 or something :P

As for material, would aluminium be cheaper than steel? i dont really wana pay much for 5 minutes of demonstration. And i think your right about ceramic

ReputationRep:
    lol one of the tags is "latex" lolololol :3

Anyways, surely i can set up a standing wave regardless of the length of tubing because i have a continuous frequency generator? For example if a standin wave is set up at 4m at 150 hz (not true but lets say it is) and i buy 5.5m, i can just keep increasing the frequency until i set up a standing wave albeit at a weird offset frequency of 167.54 or something :P

As for material, would aluminium be cheaper than steel? i dont really wana pay much for 5 minutes of demonstration. And i think your right about ceramic
    Huh? Have you never used LaTeX before? :P It's amazing

Yea, well, if you've got a decent Sig-Gen, it shouldn't matter what the length is. I don't know much about the costs, but I think steel may be slightly cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    Huh? Have you never used LaTeX before? :P It's amazing

Yea, well, if you've got a decent Sig-Gen, it shouldn't matter what the length is. I don't know much about the costs, but I think steel may be slightly cheaper.
    haha nope, first time ive heard of it :P

Hmmm, alright alright alright ALRIGHTTTTTTT lets do this im gonna go buy the parts tomorrow or something

ReputationRep:
    haha nope, first time ive heard of it :P

Hmmm, alright alright alright ALRIGHTTTTTTT lets do this im gonna go buy the parts tomorrow or something
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX

It's brilliant :P. I use it for all my essay writing and stuff haha

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX

It's brilliant :P. I use it for all my essay writing and stuff haha
    haha actually i think my maths teacher showed me this, he wrote his masters dissertation in it i think?

ReputationRep:
    haha actually i think my maths teacher showed me this, he wrote his masters dissertation in it i think?
    He probably did , it used to be very popular. They still include on the computer systems in most Universities.

I just love how easy it is write formulae and things in it. Also it looks amazing once it's rendered.

ReputationRep:
    He probably did , it used to be very popular. They still include on the computer systems in most Universities.

I just love how easy it is write formulae and things in it. Also it looks amazing once it's rendered.
    yeah it was actually quite amazing what with all the symbols and stuff

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.