Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Struggling student looking for help/ feedback on my LNAT essay practice.

Is religion a good thing?

Guns don’t kill people, people do. Likewise, it is impossible to say if religion is either a good or bad thing intrinsically. Religion is a strong motivator that empowers mankind to achieve both great and terrible ends; it has brought benefit and detriment to society and in order to examine if it is good or bad, my essay seeks to explore the different contexts where it has impacted us.

Faith is hailed as an anchor in this fast-paced digital age. It gives people meaning in their otherwise monotonous lives. It is also a source of comfort to many in times of difficulty. Natural disasters like hurricane Katrina devastated many lives and survivors turn to their faith in hope that things will be alright. Since ancient times, religion was there to guide people where science could not; religion explained frightening phenomenon that science was yet unable to decipher, and people were content. Nowadays however, advances in science have solved almost all the mysteries of life and science seeks to prolong and even create life, and religion stands in the way.

Opponents to religion maintain that it is hindering scientific development. In the past, religious authorities persecuted scientists like Galileo who disputed their teachings as heretic. Nowadays in the field of embryonic cloning, religious authorities such as the Catholic Pope decreed that research destroying embryos were akin to murder, and that human cloning was scientists “playing God”. Religious groups have successfully lobbied for laws to ban such research. However, science has found an alternative to embryonic cloning through stem-cell research which allows for production of bodily organs to save patients’ lives without the moral question of hurting unborn babies. As such, instead of being a hindrance to science, religion can be seen as moral guidance to help us retain our humanity in the pursuit of scientific development.

Religion has been used by terrorist organizations to brainwash recruits into following their twisted cause and even committing jihad (suicide). Middle-eastern terrorist groups like the Al Qaeda twisted the Quran and convinced their followers to kill and die in the name of their religion, promising salvation to those who died fighting for their cause. This resulted in countless deaths and bloodshed, leading many outsiders to condemn the Muslim faith. How then can religion be considered a good thing?

The answer to this is that religion itself never taught believers to commit murder; it is the work of terrorist organizations who twisted the meaning of the holy book that incited such atrocious acts. Thus, the Muslim religion itself is not the cause of such evil, it is simply a tool used by corrupted terrorist leaders to gain followers to advance their (mainly political) cause.

In the hands of upright men, religion has resulted in great good. Churches have collected donations to help the poor, homeless children and other such causes. Religion teaches the value of charity and inspired humanitarian work. Figures like Mother Teresa are testament to this fact.

As such, religion can be good or evil depending on how it is used. Blind faith can be disastrous as seen from the carnage of terrorist organizations incited by misplaced religious fervor. On the other hand, religion has also long provided comfort and sanctuary to mankind and acts as a moral anchor when championed by the upright.

550 words in about 45mins. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    THe essay doesn't look too bad but it isn't exactly mindblowing either. Also take note of the fact that you only have 40 minutes to plan and write your essay as opposed to spending 45 minutes on it. I've had a go at a few essays myself since I've got my LNAT test on the 8th

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ynwa92)
    Opponents to religion maintain that it is hindering scientific development. In the past, religious authorities persecuted scientists like Galileo who disputed their teachings as heretic. Nowadays in the field of embryonic cloning, religious authorities such as the Catholic Pope decreed that research destroying embryos were akin to murder, and that human cloning was scientists “playing God”. Religious groups have successfully lobbied for laws to ban such research. However, science has found an alternative to embryonic cloning through stem-cell research which allows for production of bodily organs to save patients’ lives without the moral question of hurting unborn babies. As such, instead of being a hindrance to science, religion can be seen as moral guidance to help us retain our humanity in the pursuit of scientific development.
    Umm this paragraph was a bit choppy for me and didn't flow very well for me. Maybe make your point a little clearer? Or that could be just me. I don't know D:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.