Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm really struggling to see the point in Past Papers Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Everyone goes on about how Past Papers are important and I can understand how they would be in Maths/Science subjects where it's far less knowledge-based and more application. But for essay-style subjects e.g. Politics, History etc. surely you are much better off dedicating your time to learning the content thoroughly and as long as you know how to structure your answers that should get you a good grade.

Discuss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by closeenemies)
    as long as you know how to structure your answers that should get you a good grade.

Discuss
    Past papers do exactly that, teach you how the examiners want you to structure the answers.

You could know everything perfectly, but if your essay craft is non-existant you wont get anything.

It's very good practice to go through past papers, approach them as if the real thing, and then mark them according to the mark scheme - you'll find that the first few you'll probably bark up one or two wrong trees.

Past papers for essay style subjects are imo much more important to do due to ambiguities between interpretations, so you can see how much scope you can play with.

maths/science papers are purely regurgitating facts and formula with established methods, not interpretating/actually studying a new piece of material to write about.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone goes on about how Past Papers are important and I can understand how they would be in Maths/Science subjects where it's far less knowledge-based and more application. But for essay-style subjects e.g. Politics, History etc. surely you are much better off dedicating your time to learning the content thoroughly and as long as you know how to structure your answers that should get you a good grade.

Discuss

By doing past paper essay questions you get a feel about what the examiner wants from the essays and how they are set out, if you solely just learn the content you wont know how to administer it - as long as you do the odd past paper every now and then for referencing how you are doing your revision i believe you should do fine

ReputationRep:
    It is equally important to know your content. You need to know what to write, but also HOW to write it. Past papers are incredibly important. They let you get a "feel" of how long you have to do the exam, so you don't run out of time in the end. Back in my essay-writing subject days, I always found it difficult to keep within the time allocated, and past papers really helped me. Doing past papers, and looking up "perfect examples" and the answers will give you an idea of how you need to write the essay to get the best grade possible. For example, my philosophy paper went something like: [Arguments for + 2 quotes, arguments against +2 quotes, conclusion and perhaps your idea]. You only recognise the format different subjects want for higher marks if you complete past papers.

ReputationRep:
    I personally found past papers to be one of the best forms of revision. If you are prepared for the type of questions which could be asked, you're probably going to do better than someone who isn't. That said, there are other forms of revision which are really effective too.

ReputationRep:

Discuss
    I do Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics and English Literature. Personally I find that English Lit and Economics are more application whereas the exams for maths and further maths are pretty straight forward. Physics is a bit more application based in the exams but also requires you to remember definitions and certain bits of the content.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.