Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone ever stayed in a capsule hotel? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am comtemplating staying in what is known as a pod hostel in Singapore next month, which will be about £25 per night (yes, expensive, but welcome to Singapore).

There are about 9 or 10 pods to a 'dorm', but because they are pods, you get your own privacy, albeit in a small, confined place.

I am a little worried about these kind of things, has anyone ever used a similar concept in say Japan? What were they like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    I am comtemplating staying in what is known as a pod hostel in Singapore next month, which will be about £25 per night (yes, expensive, but welcome to Singapore).

There are about 9 or 10 pods to a 'dorm', but because they are pods, you get your own privacy, albeit in a small, confined place.

I am a little worried about these kind of things, has anyone ever used a similar concept in say Japan? What were they like?
    That sounds insane. I've never stayed in one but I'd be interested to hear from someone who has. I reckon it'd be the only thing I'd be able to afford if I ever went to Japan!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbyheat)
    That sounds insane. I've never stayed in one but I'd be interested to hear from someone who has. I reckon it'd be the only thing I'd be able to afford if I ever went to Japan!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can see what they are like at 0.26 of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3uTgFXjiVM

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure they'll be fine, but £25 sounds like quite a lot, I can see hostels from about £12 for singles on Hostelworld including Wokehome (which is I assume where you're going to stay) from £14.

ReputationRep:
    yes i stayed in a cheap one in japan. its kind of similar to a dorm except you shut yourself out which is quite nice if you like to sleep in the dark. also they have buttons and you can turn on radios or a tiny tv but i didnt use these. nice novelty aspect to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancStudent098)
    I'm sure they'll be fine, but £25 sounds like quite a lot, I can see hostels from about £12 for singles on Hostelworld including Wokehome (which is I assume where you're going to stay) from £14.
    The hostel in question is Wink Hostel.

I do not like the idea of multi-bed dorms the standard sense, I am looking for a private room, or the seemingly new idea of a pod. :cool:

When I go travelling I want to spend 7n nights in each location, for no more than £100. This will give me around a dozen locations to explore (with a lot of money spent on flights).

ReputationRep:

I do not like the idea of multi-bed dorms the standard sense, I am looking for a private room, or the seemingly new idea of a pod. :cool:

When I go travelling I want to spend 7n nights in each location, for no more than £100. This will give me around a dozen locations to explore (with a lot of money spent on flights).
    By the above do you mean £7 a night? because even in SE Asia you'll struggle to make that if you won't stay in dorms. Anyway might be worth giving Woke Home a look, it's also a pod hostel - not far from Wink and it looks like it's a lot cheaper.

ReputationRep:

You should take an executive bus up to Malacca for a night, it's gorgeous. Sorry, off topic!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbyheat)
    You should take an executive bus up to Malacca for a night, it's gorgeous. Sorry, off topic!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah yes! I'm taking the train route from Bangok to Singapore later this year, and Malacca is on my list of places to see!

Accommodation in Singapore doesn't need to be pricey if you're willing to compromise on location. You can stay for 7 night, in a 3 star hotel for under £50. Granted it'll be in the Geylang district (yes, the red light district), but I've heard from two friends (lone female travellers, may I add), that it's really not that bad. Plus, there are plenty of street hawkers with delicious noms nearby too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Nombre)
    Ah yes! I'm taking the train route from Bangok to Singapore later this year, and Malacca is on my list of places to see!

Accommodation in Singapore doesn't need to be pricey if you're willing to compromise on location. You can stay for 7 night, in a 3 star hotel for under £50. Granted it'll be in the Geylang district (yes, the red light district), but I've heard from two friends (lone female travellers, may I add), that it's really not that bad. Plus, there are plenty of street hawkers with delicious noms nearby too!
    Geylang is right next to Katong where my brother has lived for the last couple of years and I really like the whole area. Lots of food places, local and expat families moving in etc. whenever I've been there and gone out and about alone, it's always been perfectly fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think these were real! I thought they only existed in the imagination of Deus Ex: Human Revolution developers. It would at least be novel for a day or two but i'm not sure if I could hack a week!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancStudent098)
    By the above do you mean £7 a night? because even in SE Asia you'll struggle to make that if you won't stay in dorms. Anyway might be worth giving Woke Home a look, it's also a pod hostel - not far from Wink and it looks like it's a lot cheaper.
    £30 per night is basically £900 for the month.
    £15 per night is basically £450 for the month.
    £7 per night would be around £225 for the month.

Obviously you need to factor in living expenses as well but in terms of accommodation, the above is true for a 30 day period of the Visa.

I am happy with anything less than £30 but above £15.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.