The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Bellissima
well i'm not naked am i? all the important bits are covered up. i don't have a problem getting changed in front of a room full of strangers, will walk around changing rooms etc. in just my underwear... not really different.

Well if everyone was like you then there would be no need for changing rooms at clothes shops. You must be an exhibitionist most of us are either too insecure or self-conscious to even entertain the idea of being half dressed in front of potentially judgmental people checking us out.
Original post by sissoko46
Would you feel comfortable walking around your town center in your underwear? That is essentially what bikini's are.

In town and at the beach are two completely different places where people where different types of clothing. What else would you where at the beach? :confused:
Well if everyone was like you then there would be no need for changing rooms at clothes shops. You must be an exhibitionist most of us are either too insecure or self-conscious to even entertain the idea of being half dressed in front of potentially judgmental people checking us out.

well if it were socially acceptable to try on clothes outside of the fitting room then it wouldn't bother me. when i said changing rooms i mean at swimming pools.

it's like these african or amazonian tribes where the ladies walk about with their boobs hanging out and the men only have some kind of horn thing to cover their penis... it's socially acceptable for them so they don't think any differently. it's socially acceptable at the beach for us so we don't think any different. it is NOT socially acceptable to walk around in underwear in town though, however this does not mean i have a problem with people seeing me in my underwear... i just don't want to get arrested/my friends to be embarassed to be seen with me/be cold/people to judge me.
Reply 43
You are in the presence of strangers practically naked, how do you feel comfortable with that? Whoever the guy was that first invented the idea of bikini's as being different to underwear and then conditioned women to think it is acceptable as beach wear sure was a mildly sleazy genius.

Do you actually know that it was a guy that invented bikinis?

I'd like to know who he is......so I can shake his bloody hand.
Reply 44
Original post by pink pineapple
In town and at the beach are two completely different places where people where different types of clothing. What else would you where at the beach? :confused:

One piece maybe? The girls I know all do not that it bothers me.
Reply 45

So you are basically there admitting you are insecure about your body and therefore dont want other people to show theirs.
Reply 46
well if it were socially acceptable to try on clothes outside of the fitting room then it wouldn't bother me. when i said changing rooms i mean at swimming pools.

it's like these african or amazonian tribes where the ladies walk about with their boobs hanging out and the men only have some kind of horn thing to cover their penis... it's socially acceptable for them so they don't think any differently. it's socially acceptable at the beach for us so we don't think any different. it is NOT socially acceptable to walk around in underwear in town though, however this does not mean i have a problem with people seeing me in my underwear... i just don't want to get arrested/my friends to be embarassed to be seen with me/be cold/people to judge me.

I am pretty sure the first woman ever to strip at the beach had fierce opposition and generally been frowned upon. Maybe you can pioneer underwear/bikini's in town centers not that I would want it though. By the way it is "African" and "embarrassed". Spelling is very important if you're not sure then you could use spellchecker.
Reply 47
Original post by JG1233
So you are basically there admitting you are insecure about your body and therefore dont want other people to show theirs.

Why would I ever be I have got a perfectly sculpted six pack abs. I don't like to be seen as a show off so I keep it hidden at all times.:wink:
Reply 48
I am pretty sure the first woman ever to strip at the beach had fierce opposition and generally been frowned upon. Maybe you can pioneer underwear/bikini's in town centers not that I would want it though. By the way it is "African" and "embarrassed". Spelling is very important if you're not sure then you could use spellchecker.

She spelt 'African' right...missing a capital letter is grammar, not spelling
I have known women who think bikinis are too skimpy, if that is the right word, and they were not people who had a deep religious faith where modesty is the standard expected.

So the OP is not alone, even though I think that in certain places (beach, swim, spa) it is perfectly OK.
Reply 50
Original post by Sannn
She spelt 'African' right...missing a capital letter is grammar, not spelling

Well Mr Sannn I wasn't referring to her "African" grammar mistake when I mentioned the spelling bit. I meant it generally due to her misspelling of the word "embarrassed". I hope I made myself clear to you young man.
Reply 51
Well Mr Sannn I wasn't referring to her "African" grammar mistake when I mentioned the spelling bit. I meant it generally due to her misspelling of the word "embarrassed". I hope I made myself clear to you young man.

I assume you could've read the words she was trying to say regardless of the spelling?
Reply 52
Original post by Sannn
I assume you could've read the words she was trying to say regardless of the spelling?

Are you in a relationship with her or a crush or anything? You are trying too hard to impress her.
Original post by The Fruitbat
Why is it relevant that womens breats produce milk in discussing whether men and women should be allowed to show equal parts of their body. If you can show your nipples in public, why cant I?

Exactly, why can't you indeed.. :perv:
Reply 54
I hate the concept of me wearing a bikini because I hate my body. Don't really give a **** what other people do.

Though I do wonder why it's socially acceptable for girls to put pictures of themselves in bikinis on facebook but considered slutty if they put pictures up of them in underwear. Strange world.
Reply 55
Are you in a relationship with her or a crush or anything? You are trying too hard to impress her.

Nah, just don't see the issue if you can read the word unless you're a grammar Nazi or pedantic
Reply 56
What about guys in swimming trunks?

Swimwear is pretty much just waterproof underwear, for both genders. My swimming trunks are basically waterproof boxers. But when I put them on, I don't feel like I have to do it to impress women.

Besides, if you don't like bikinis, you have the option of wearing other kinds of swimwear, like those ones that cover everything except the arms, legs, and head. Guys only get to choose the length and tightness of their shorts.
You are in the presence of strangers practically naked, how do you feel comfortable with that? Whoever the guy was that first invented the idea of bikini's as being different to underwear and then conditioned women to think it is acceptable as beach wear sure was a mildly sleazy genius.

And how exactly is a man wearing trunks or swimming briefs any different?
Was that a mildly sleazy female genius conditioning them?
Would you feel comfortable walking around your town center in your underwear? That is essentially what bikini's are.

no but i'd be fine on the beach/swimming
Reply 59
well i'm not naked am i? all the important bits are covered up. i don't have a problem getting changed in front of a room full of strangers, will walk around changing rooms etc. in just my underwear... not really different.

What she said, Sissoko, sums up quite a few people's mentalities. Ever go to the gym? If you have, I don't know about yours, but people just don't care. :dontknow: Obviously women's and men's changing rooms are separated, but there's lots of men who, rightly or wrongly, dive in and out of rooms bare-skinned to the world. Most obviously walk around in underwear, but as Bell said, she doesn't care as many people don't, its not really breaking the moral fabric of society.
Its only Western society and strict public code that has said its not proper to walk around naked. We've all got the same bodies underneath the clothes, its just some people get really pissy over the fact a body isn't covered with clothing. Realistically, all bikinis and indeed underwear in general is hiding is the very products that got you there in the first place; seems a bit silly when you put it like that but hey-ho, its not like everyone's going to start walking around naked. :tongue:

Latest