Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am looking for work experience in the Legal field. Wondered if anyone had any advice on where to apply, besides high street solicitors.

I am looking for work experience to enhance my applications (for entry in 2014)

Thanks
    x
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iloveginjas)
    I am looking for work experience in the Legal field. Wondered if anyone had any advice on where to apply, besides high street solicitors.

I am looking for work experience to enhance my applications (for entry in 2014)

Thanks
    x
    Are you an A Level student? As if you mean entry into the profession you've missed the boat for many 2014 TCs, pupillages are coming up soon in some cases I think.

If you are A Level I know Pinsents run a scheme for A Level students in some of their offices and a few chambers like Matrix do stuff.

Otherwise as you say write to local HS firms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    Are you an A Level student? As if you mean entry into the profession you've missed the boat for many 2014 TCs, pupillages are coming up soon in some cases I think.

If you are A Level I know Pinsents run a scheme for A Level students in some of their offices and a few chambers like Matrix do stuff.

Otherwise as you say write to local HS firms.
    Yep I am an A Level Student, sorry if i posted in the wrong area as I thought people that would have experienced what I am trying to do would be better to ask than anyone else. Thanks for your advice it is certainly something I will look into.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Yep I am an A Level Student, sorry if i posted in the wrong area as I thought people that would have experienced what I am trying to do would be better to ask than anyone else. Thanks for your advice it is certainly something I will look into.
    No, it's the right place just people post asking about both.

Don't worry too much if you don't get any, it's far from an essential part of your PS.

ReputationRep:
    I asked about 8 local solicitors if I could do some work experience with them over the summer - didnt get a place. Depending on how this last year goes, I might take a year off to get some real experience working in Law while earning some money and then go to do my degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gallifreyan95)
    I asked about 8 local solicitors if I could do some work experience with them over the summer - didnt get a place. Depending on how this last year goes, I might take a year off to get some real experience working in Law while earning some money and then go to do my degree.
    I managed to secure one lot of work experience out of school last year, and that was only by sending around 30 letters to local solicitors. Its tough to get hold of any as it so competitive. Like you, I have also considered taking a year off to gain experience, it just depends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    Don't worry too much if you don't get any, it's far from an essential part of your PS.
    This can't be overemphasised, OP. A law degree is academic. Work experience, unless you can talk about it in some meaningful connection with your reasons for wanting to study law qua academic law, is largely irrelevant.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gallifreyan95)
    x

x
    If you're thinking of taking gap years this is, by a long way in my opinion, the best programme out there if you don't have contacts in the profession.

http://www.pinsentmasons.com/en/grad...gap-programme/

Unfortunately at the moment there are so many grads with an LLB, and even LPC, willing to do pretty much anything (particularly anything vaguely legal like paralegalling) in a Law firm's office in order to get experience that something specifically targeted at 18/19 year olds is likely to be your best hope.

On the other hand, it will mainly be of use to you in getting a vac scheme down the line (notably with Pinsents) not for getting into uni for Law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    If you're thinking of taking gap years this is, by a long way in my opinion, the best programme out there if you don't have contacts in the profession.

http://www.pinsentmasons.com/en/grad...gap-programme/

Unfortunately at the moment there are so many grads with an LLB, and even LPC, willing to do pretty much anything (particularly anything vaguely legal like paralegalling) in a Law firm's office in order to get experience that something specifically targeted at 18/19 year olds is likely to be your best hope.

On the other hand, it will mainly be of use to you in getting a vac scheme down the line (notably with Pinsents) not for getting into uni for Law.
    The deadline has already passed. I should have seen this really; would be excellent to do this if i decide to take a gap year!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.