Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    So i'm looking to do the extended project qualification when it's offered to me in a few weeks time, and I'm just drafting ideas right now. It's simple to come up with ideas for arts subjects, but not so much for the sciences, so i feel.
    So do you know of anyone that did a Maths/physics-based EPQ? Or any science for that matter. I'm not expecting someone to tell me what to do, i'm just interested in whats been done.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chapmouse)
    Hi guys,
    So i'm looking to do the extended project qualification when it's offered to me in a few weeks time, and I'm just drafting ideas right now. It's simple to come up with ideas for arts subjects, but not so much for the sciences, so i feel.
    So do you know of anyone that did a Maths/physics-based EPQ? Or any science for that matter. I'm not expecting someone to tell me what to do, i'm just interested in whats been done.

Thanks in advance
    A few ideas that I may not follow through with are:
    1. Investigate the physics of flatland
    2. Quantify some of the A-Level chemistry with Quantum mechanics
    3. Do some applications of Markov chains (I only know a little) or (nonlinear) differential equations (or another mathematical model, perhaps information or game theory) to something in life (perhaps school life).
    4. Investigate but plausible failed theorems and physical theories
    5. Create a working-model field theory for friction (that is, represent friction as a force field). Not physically correct, but it may simplify calculations.

However, I feel uncomfortable about the whole qualification. It's like they're asking us to either do a phD 5 years early or read and adapt ever-so-slightly the topics in an undergraduate textbook.

Have you had any ideas in the intervening months since you posted this?

ReputationRep:
    Or perhaps investigating the stability of other solar system (basically repeat what Poincare did in the 1900's for binary systems).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.