Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do the machines actually work? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Earlier on in 2012 , I went to the gym for a fair few months (3 or so) and I'd use the strength training machines with the weight etc.... because we don't have any barbells in my gym

I was reading Stronglifts 5x5 by this guy called Mehdi and it says that the machines are pretty worthless. I also hear a few people say that machines don't work and the barbells are better.

My questions are

Do machines actually work in helping you build up strength and muscle

I want to lose fat and build muscle ..... and I want to do it fast ..... Will a machine really help me achieve that goal?

Yes

However, free weights will help you achieve your goals faster as more muscles will be recruited, the lift will be more taxing, and with compound movements you will be able to lift heavier weights, which in turn increases the load on the muscle

ReputationRep:
      I use to go to the 'fitness suite' or whatever it was called at my gym in sixth form and it was only machines. It was kind of a mixed result, I was probably quite out of proportion in various places and I didn't build strength as effectively as if I was doing compound exercises. I had a good body though and my chest got really big and still is from using the chest-press machine.

ReputationRep:
      What is your objective, are you just training to get strong or do you want to get big? If you are just training to get strong then do the 5x5 and use only machine weights for assistance exercises. If you want to get big then the machines weights are just as important as the free weights and a the 5x5 program probably isn't the best program for you.

You need to realise the machine weights were basically invented for body building, they isolate muscle groups and develop them, ensure you have a good long contraction on every set meaning you enduce hypertrophy in the muscle and it grows.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Lord Jon)

I want to lose fat and build muscle .....
      Lots of people, me included, believe that to be not possible. You can lose fat and look more muscular but actually building muscle and losing fat isn't possible IMO as one requires a caloric surplus and the other a caloric deficit. As for machines vs freeweights I prefer freeweights though I sometimes switch to machines for a month or so to break through a plateau.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Jono404)
      Lots of people, me included, believe that to be not possible. You can lose fat and look more muscular but actually building muscle and losing fat isn't possible IMO as one requires a caloric surplus and the other a caloric deficit. As for machines vs freeweights I prefer freeweights though I sometimes switch to machines for a month or so to break through a plateau.
      Except it is possible and has been shown/proven countless of times. People just think that due to it being difficult and the calories you consume via diet to be highly strict that it suddenly means that its impossible. Impossible for you and others perhaps but not everyone. Novices are capable and these who aren't proper advanced body builders can lose fat and gain muscle.

It is probably the biggest misconception ever that people think that everyone who wants to build muscle has to consume more calories aka a surplus. I blame bb.com.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Zurvan)
      Except it is possible and has been shown/proven countless of times. People just think that due to it being difficult and the calories you consume via diet to be highly strict that it suddenly means that its impossible. Impossible for you and others perhaps but not everyone. Novices are capable and these who aren't proper advanced body builders can lose fat and gain muscle.

It is probably the biggest misconception ever that people think that everyone who wants to build muscle has to consume more calories aka a surplus. I blame bb.com.
      I read a powerlifter blog on tnation, where this guy decided to cut but wanted to keep making strength gains. He not only cut a **** load of fat but he managed to gain quite a considerable amount of lean mass even though wasn't even trying to gain muscle mass. Definitely possible people just don't know how or don't want to put the effort in.

ReputationRep:
      Definitely possible in newbs (and those on 'chemicals'). Muscle building and fat loss are different systems.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Foghorn Leghorn)
      I read a powerlifter blog on tnation, where this guy decided to cut but wanted to keep making strength gains. He not only cut a **** load of fat but he managed to gain quite a considerable amount of lean mass even though wasn't even trying to gain muscle mass. Definitely possible people just don't know how or don't want to put the effort in.
      Gear.

ReputationRep:
      Gear.
      He is a powerlifter competing in the non drug tested comps. He was already on the gear. At his strength gear is merely an assistance it wouldn't help him loose weight, otherwise he wouldn't have been fat in the first place.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Foghorn Leghorn)
      What is your objective, are you just training to get strong or do you want to get big? If you are just training to get strong then do the 5x5 and use only machine weights for assistance exercises. If you want to get big then the machines weights are just as important as the free weights and a the 5x5 program probably isn't the best program for you.

You need to realise the machine weights were basically invented for body building, they isolate muscle groups and develop them, ensure you have a good long contraction on every set meaning you enduce hypertrophy in the muscle and it grows.
      Machines weights were invented to aid rehab from injuries, which is why they were designed to be so safe and isolating.

Many old school bodybuilders that were huge did not need them or use them, they are not needed at all.
      The only things that one needs to get really big is food, heavy weights and copious amounts of drugs.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.