Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there a difference to you between a coach and a bus? Watch

• View Poll Results: Is there a difference to you between a coach and a bus?
    Yes
    98.46%
    No
    1.54%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameritus)
    For me there's always been a big difference, a bus is a bus and a coach is a coach. However some of my friends call a coach a bus and don't seem to differentiate much between them.

To me this is a coach:
    Spoiler:
    Show

And this is a bus:
    Spoiler:
    Show

For some reason it really gets to me when people confuse the two :rolleyes: for example if someone says "I'm going to Edinburgh by bus" when they mean it's by coach. It's like calling a lorry a van.
    Coaches usually remind me of long distance journeys, and buses more local ones.

ReputationRep:
    For me there's always been a big difference, a bus is a bus and a coach is a coach. However some of my friends call a coach a bus and don't seem to differentiate much between them.

To me this is a coach:
    Spoiler:
    Show

And this is a bus:
    Spoiler:
    Show

For some reason it really gets to me when people confuse the two :rolleyes: for example if someone says "I'm going to Edinburgh by bus" when they mean it's by coach. It's like calling a lorry a van.
    Thats the bus that goes to my uni loooool

Well to be fair you are right, however go countries like in South Asia, like Bangladesh there isn't any proper buses, often they are privately run by individuals and are basically coaches used as buses between towns.

ReputationRep:
    I see them as different things, but i'd accept somebody calling a coach a bus, although it seems weird the other way around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrogInABog)
    Ah, but there's the problem! Do the "coaches" become buses when they are used for public transport? You could practically write a PhD thesis on this topic, it's so complex!
    Pity the poor person who has to read an entire thesis on it :p:

(Original post by smudge_moon)
    Everyone's adding photos of their buses :P here's mine :L

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    I love that place name! I imagine it's somewhere northern?

(Original post by PardonMyFrench96)
    This thread . . . . . . . . :lolwut:
    Oi don't knock it...three pages' worth of discussion on the finer points of buses/coaches ain't half bad

I have to say, I'm surprised (and encouraged) that the vote is so unanimous!

ReputationRep:

I love that place name! I imagine it's somewhere northern?!
    Wrong. North devon sooo far from the north, unless you live near lands end.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.