Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did/do you revise for your GCSE mocks? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've got all my mocks in January and haven't even opened a book related to any of the subjects! I've also got my science modules so have been revising for those instead...still I'm finding it hard to find the will power to revise for mocks! So the question is did you revise for your gcse mocks?
    Thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I don't really revise for mine if I have actual exams coming up! The mocks are not important to me and at least if I haven't revised and I fail I can just tell myself that it was because I didn't revise! If I did revise and failed then I'd just start to panic and stress out about the real thing!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    If I'm not busy like revise for real exams I will treat it like a real exam and then see how I've done it's a great revision tool for the real thing because if you can you can make notes on it and see where you need to revise!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If I don't have an actual exam then sure i'll revise for them, but recently i haven't and they go towards my report so you have my report saying i'm at a C or for history and RE D/E and in my exams i get anything from a B to an A*

ReputationRep:
    I done a small bit today cause mine start as well soon but naah apart from reading through one biology and chemistry topic

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I never really revised for my mocks. I didn't get bad grades as a result, but they weren't fantastic. When I came to the actual exams I did a lot more.

It's probably a good idea if you do as much revision as you can. That way you wont have to learn as much for the actual exams as it'll all be recapping and you'll know where your true weaknesses lay.

ReputationRep:
    It's so much more important to revise for your actual exams. Do a bit for your mocks if it puts your mind at ease but don't stress over them.

I didn't revise at all for mine.

ReputationRep:
    I don't revise for mock, Only for the real exams.
    However, if you're doing mocks than probably your exam will happen shortly so I start to revise about 2 weeks before my exams. I know bad idea, but the reality is that before that most people are usually too lazy.
    Mocks are actually there to help you revise, so I just use mocks as part of my revision and find it to be the most effective so I would say that mocks are good for revision, but use them to revise for your real exams.

ReputationRep:
    lolno

ReputationRep:
    I barely did two days revision for my actual GCSE's, the thought to revise for my mocks didn't even come to me.

ReputationRep:
    I tried, but failed miserably. I got mainly C, D and E grades and unexpectedly the head of the one sixth form I applied to asked for them and confronted me on my ****ty grades. :blushing: I ended up averaging on As, Bs and a few Cs (I am a lazy student) and got accepted into the sixth form so it all worked out in the end.

If you have the time and genuinely want to use it as a tool to help yourself prepare then use it, the mocks are quite brilliant. If, however, you're not too bothered and you can sweet talk your way out of situations like the one I found myself in with my head of sixth form, then don't worry so much.

One other big reason I decided I didn't want to revise much for my mocks was because I attempted protesting against them - the stress of having like 13 exams in one week was becoming too much and I disagreed with any teacher who claimed that it would give us students a realistic idea of how the real thing would go, but using common sense I obviously knew that we'd have two months for all our exams and not just one week. I felt very strongly about this and would use my ****ty grades as proof to any teacher who tried to argue with me haha.

ReputationRep:
    No and I got 4A's 4B's 1C and 1U. I'll definitley be revising for my real exams.

ReputationRep:
    I did but only because my mum offered to buy me new shoes if I did well. Sure enough now I have some new high tops

ReputationRep:
    No. Sit the mocks without revising, then you can see how well you will do. Then you can work out what you're realistically going to achieve by actually revising.

Also, if you have lots of exams close together, you can prioritise which you need to revise for more than others.

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure you get a C so they don't enter you for foundation ^_^

ReputationRep:
    hey i also have mocks coming up and i also havent looked near my books for those subject becuase i also have modules like Biology and Maths coming up. i will likely look over the books the night before but i wont b spending anymore time than that on them because i feel like they arent as important, and if u do awful in them its not like you dont have time to revise properly for the real exam...

They don't really matter, I didn't even get my mock results back for 2 subjects when I did it.

ReputationRep:
      You should really revise for mocks, especially if they're close to the real exams; I did some and it greatly helped.

ReputationRep:
      GCSEs? I haven't even revised for AS mocks....let's be honest, most people try and wing the mocks anyway.

ReputationRep:
      I didn't bother with revising for mocks, as I don't think they're particularly important providing you know where you need to improve anyway. I don't know what it's like at your school, but at mine we did them after our applications to sixth form had been sent off, so it's not like they even had a practical use. Admittedly I can't remember what I ended up getting, so I guess they can't have been important at all.

I do remember the real GCSEs, though. I didn't do any revision as I'm a very lazy person, and I ended up with 5 As/A*s and the rest Bs. I was really disappointed with myself, as I knew I could have done much better if I had actually done some work.

I'm now at sixth form and although I don't think mocks themselves matter, I do advise doing revision. As I didn't do any revision for the past few years, I joined sixth form with the same mental attitude, thinking I could walk through everything. Unfortunately this isn't the case, and my old revision techniques are really stabbing me in the back now. I have vital exams coming up and my attitude has made it difficult for me to do much revision for them.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.