Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do people sexually 'experiment' with the same sex at university? Watch

I'm 19 and hopefully going away to university in September.

I've heard from friends and such that when you're away at university you tend to try things you haven't done anything before, such as experimenting sexually.

I'm not homophobic in the slightest and I actually wanna try stuff with the same sex, I just wanna know is it common and such after drunken nights out?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anyone who has.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wildrover)
    I don't know anyone who has.
    This.

However OP, I'm sure you could find someone.

ReputationRep:
    Erm. I haven't heard of it happening. The thing is, away from home, you now have the freedom to if you wish, but I reckon most people wouldn't. So people can do it, but do they do it? Not as much as you've been made to believe, I would wager. Still, it wouldn't be unheard of and you wouldn't be the first, nor the only

ReputationRep:
    Never really experienced anything like this during my first term, and we went out at least 2-3 times a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm 19 and hopefully going away to university in September.

I've heard from friends and such that when you're away at university you tend to try things you haven't done anything before, such as experimenting sexually.

I'm not homophobic in the slightest and I actually wanna try stuff with the same sex, I just wanna know is it common and such after drunken nights out?
    You're asking whether students 'experiment' their sexuality with the same sex, well correct me if I'm wrong. But doesn't that just put a cloud over your certainty regarding your sexuality? Either you have sex with just men, just women or both. People don't really experiment, either they are straight, gay/les or bi. It's just a matter of you understanding what you want sexually and trying to find people with similar sexual preferences.

ReputationRep:
    Girls tend to do it but only for attention seeking purposes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    You're asking whether students 'experiment' their sexuality with the same sex, well correct me if I'm wrong. But doesn't that just put a cloud over your certainty regarding your sexuality? Either you have sex with just men, just women or both. People don't really experiment, either they are straight, gay/les or bi. It's just a matter of you understanding what you want sexually and trying to find people with similar sexual preferences.
    What if you don't know what you want, though? Or what if you just want to know - what is that like? Just because it's different to what you're used to. I'm straight, but yeah I wonder what it would be like to be in bed with a woman. Don't think I'd ever meet a girl that would make me seriously consider it, though. In any case, I firmly believe sexuality is a continuum we can move across over time.

ReputationRep:
    Its just a stereotypical idea of university. It certainly wasent like that for me.

The only people I knew who did this were already gay or bisexual to begin with, in which case it was perfectly natural. I don't know of any straight people who decided to experiment with their own gender "just because"... or at least none of them would likely admit to it.

ReputationRep:
      I haven't heard of it happening and I'm now in my 2nd year. Though for my friends, things like that happened before uni - we all came to uni pretty certain of our sexuality.

ReputationRep:
      Just go for it OP i'm sure there are others who have experimented at uni but for the most part they will never say they did

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by desdemonata)
      What if you don't know what you want, though? Or what if you just want to know - what is that like? Just because it's different to what you're used to. I'm straight, but yeah I wonder what it would be like to be in bed with a woman. Don't think I'd ever meet a girl that would make me seriously consider it, though. In any case, I firmly believe sexuality is a continuum we can move across over time.
      Agreed, that's why I mentioned certainty about knowing what you want in my OP, like the whole idea of being curious, I kind of implied that by mentioning being a bisexual. Should've made myself clearer, OP in no way am I suggesting that experimenting is wrong.

ReputationRep:
      if they are open to it... i havent heard of anyone who has personally

ReputationRep:
      If they do, I doubt they broadcast it to everyone. Hence the reason for people thinking it doesn't happen. I reckon it does more than people realise. Even just some simple kissing in a nightclub while away from your friends.
      • PS Helper
      • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
      For Girls, it seemed to happen all the time for just general attention instincts.

For guys, there was one guy who kissed someone at a gay club, we all thought it was great. That's about it really. I don't think guys feel as safe/pressured into doing it as girls.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 3, 2013
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.