Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

My GCSE grades are 3A*, 2B's, 1 C, 1 D and 4 E's. I know they're terrible.

My AS Level result is 3A's. (Economics, Math, Psychology). As I studied very hard for them. Now, as I am in my second year. I have decided to take two other AS subjects with my Alevel just to compensate my overall application.
    After that, I will be having 5 subjects. ( two half and 3 full).
    Sending an A prediction in all of these.

Additionally, I have a non-profit organization for children, two year teaching experience at one of the schools in my country which is ranked 7. I taught Economics there. Then internship at several non profit organizations such as SOS, SPO, WWF.
    I also assisted a clinical psychologist at one of the hospitals.
    And an internship at Reckitt Benckiser and a textile Mill in my country.
    Therefore, this all will make a good personal statement of mine!
    I want to study something in Economics. Due to my poor GCSE, I'm not applying for a competitive Economics course. e.g BA in Economics.
    I just want to study Economics with something else as it would be less competitive. Do you think I have a chance?

I have a feeling that my low GCSE will ruin all the plans for me to get into KCL Please help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZaraaAli)
    Hi,

My AS Level result is 3A's. (Economics, Math, Psychology). As I studied very hard for them. Now, as I am in my second year. I have decided to take two other AS subjects with my Alevel just to compensate my overall application.

Additionally, I have a non-profit organization for children, two year teaching experience at one of the schools in my country which is ranked 7. I taught Economics there. Then internship at several non profit organizations such as SOS, SPO, WWF.
    I want to study something in Economics. Due to my poor GCSE, I'm not applying for a competitive Economics course. e.g BA in Economics.
    I just want to study Economics with something else as it would be less competitive. Do you think I have a chance?

I have a feeling that my low GCSE will ruin all the plans for me to get into KCL Please help
    Hard to advise without knowing what course you would apply for.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Are you sure that picking up two extra AS subjects in this, the most important exam year of your life, won't result in you obtaining lower A'level results than you would have got had you just focused on your main subjects?

So long as you get A'level results that match your AS level results, you should be able to get into KCL (though it does depend what you want to study). I'm just concerned that you're jeopardising your chances of getting the top grades you need with these extra subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I agree taking two more AS levels is a lot of pressure, if you really want to then I'd say take up one extra AS then you'll be level pegging with most other applicants. As for the GCSE's they don't usually take them into account unless you're doing things like medicine/dentistry or if you're applying to Oxbridge. As long as you keep your A's when you take your A2 exams I think your in with a good chance.

Talking from experience King's like a strong personal statement (which it sounds like you'll have!) just make sure you get your passion across for the subject and explain how those experiences have given you skills you can tranfer onto your course.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

My GCSEs are worse than yours I got into the competitive mathematics course. Its all about doing better now than dwelling on past.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.