Country Descriptions Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I can write an essay on the EU because there is a lot to cover
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to see this. Part of the reason I joined is to become more aware of international politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    I can write an essay on the EU because there is a lot to cover
    Feels a bit like homework.............

ReputationRep:
    Hehehehhehe time for a paragraph about Westlife, Louis Walsh and Jedward

ReputationRep:
    I can do one for the EU but as for Portugal, I have no idea who its allies are etc.

I have a good idea on the layout, be prepared to be amazed

ReputationRep:
    I can do one for the EU but as for Portugal, I have no idea who its allies are etc
    Have a look here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17758217

No plagiarism please, I know it's tempting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryS)
    Have a look here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17758217

No plagiarism please, I know it's tempting!
    EU website and Wikipedia for the EU profile.

Thanks, I will also use Wikipedia for that aswell

ReputationRep:
    EU website and Wikipedia for the EU profile.

Thanks, I will also use Wikipedia for that aswell
    Yeah that's cool, but please write it in your own words. We can all go onto Wikipedia and look for information, but we just need key points that will interest others.

Thanks Morgsie

ReputationRep:
    Prepared for an Essay because there is a hell of a lot stuff to cover on the EU, it is homework LOL.

European Council President: Herman Van Rompuy, elected by the Council for a 2 and half year term which is renewable
    Commission President: Jose Manuel Borosso, chosen by the European Council subject to confirmation by the European Parliament.
    President of the European Parliament: Martin Shulz, elected by the European Parliament
    Council of the European Union Presidency: Ireland at the moment rotates every 6 months.
    High Representative: my av, chosen by European Council subject to confirmation by the European Parliament

ReputationRep:
    Prepared for an Essay because there is a hell of a lot stuff to cover on the EU, it is homework LOL.
    I suppose it is, but it will be beneficial to the development of the MUN and making it easier for newbies to understand the MUN and in particular, the country/countries they are representing.

ReputationRep:
    That was from memory, the bit on the EU officials. I could go on and say about the roles but I am not going to in this thread. I could do the History of the EU aswell.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryS)
    I suppose it is, but it will be beneficial to the development of the MUN and making it easier for newbies to understand the MUN and in particular, the country/countries they are representing.
    Are the EU, Arab League, UNOs better on a separate wiki page from the countries maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Are the EU, Arab League, UNOs better on a separate wiki page from the countries maybe?
    Yeah that's a good idea.

Actually, to make it absolutely clear, I'll PM the Bloc Leaders/Deputies and UNO representatives and ask them to also create a organisation description for their respective positions.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Time to get started on this. I'm in the process of getting templates ready for the wiki. I'll let you know when it's ready but please hold off adding stuff for now until it's all set up.

The key for these descriptions is simplicity - most readers will be new. Keep jargon and waffle to a minimum if possible so they're easy to understand.

ReputationRep:
    Members feel free to use my template. If you think its rubbish, then please do say or ignore my template. Its just an idea, and you can take it any way you want.

Just make sure its

-Simple
    -Fun
    -Informative
    -MUN appropriate- perhaps refer to how the seat can be used and in what way.

ReputationRep:
    Right here's the current situation with this:

- MUN Reps are starting to submit their country/UNO descriptions to myself and Cheese_Monster. I'm keeping them all in a PM folder until we need them so they won't be lost. Who's we have received is being kept in a spreadsheet online on Google Docs.
    - What's the next steps we need to take with this? I know we need to get the wiki templates completed, Birchington your onto that. We then need to figure out a way of getting the submitted descriptions to Wiki editors like Birchington and Toronto (Toronto has volunteered to add stuff if we need to use his Wiki powers). Perhaps we can use Google Docs to actually store the descriptions while they get put onto the Wiki? But I'm worried we'll use the formatting. PM'ing them to each other would be time-consuming and fill up our inbox's rapidly. Thoughts on this?
    - Not all the Reps have acknowledged this idea or even logged in over the past couple of days to hear about this idea so we need to find a way to encourage them to do a bit of research and submit something. If they don't submit, then we'll need to get others who are willing to do some extra work to do it or alternatively we leave their country's out until we have more time? Should I send out another PM?
    - Cheese_Monster, one of the champion's of this idea could be going away with limited internet access in the next couple of days or weeks.

Thoughts on the points raised? I'm being a bit formal about this as I believe it can be done and will be a good job done once it's completed, sorry to be a right pain. :lol:

Quoted in people to reply to this:

(Original post by Birchington)
    QFA
    (Original post by Cheese_Monster)
    QFA
    (Original post by zaliack)
    QFA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryS)
    Right here's the current situation with this:

- MUN Reps are starting to submit their country/UNO descriptions to myself and Cheese_Monster. I'm keeping them all in a PM folder until we need them so they won't be lost. Who's we have received is being kept in a spreadsheet online on Google Docs.
    - What's the next steps we need to take with this? I know we need to get the wiki templates completed, Birchington your onto that. We then need to figure out a way of getting the submitted descriptions to Wiki editors like Birchington and Toronto (Toronto has volunteered to add stuff if we need to use his Wiki powers). Perhaps we can use Google Docs to actually store the descriptions while they get put onto the Wiki? But I'm worried we'll use the formatting. PM'ing them to each other would be time-consuming and fill up our inbox's rapidly. Thoughts on this?
    - Not all the Reps have acknowledged this idea or even logged in over the past couple of days to hear about this idea so we need to find a way to encourage them to do a bit of research and submit something. If they don't submit, then we'll need to get others who are willing to do some extra work to do it or alternatively we leave their country's out until we have more time? Should I send out another PM?
    - Cheese_Monster, one of the champion's of this idea could be going away with limited internet access in the next couple of days or weeks.

Thoughts on the points raised? I'm being a bit formal about this as I believe it can be done and will be a good job done once it's completed, sorry to be a right pain. :lol:

Quoted in people to reply to this:
    Whatever the case, there are going to be nations without descriptions, we're going to have to rely on volunteers to write other vacant seat descriptions, or alternatively, to write the descriptions of seats that are filled, but the representatives are unwilling to write up a description.

Using Toronto and Birchington's wiki powers will be the next step, and keeping them on a google file for the time being will suffice. As for me disappearing off the face of the Earth, my first week is in Sydney with free internet access, so i'll still be around as active as I am now for a little while longer

I'm currently writing the descriptions for India, Fiji and Azerbaijan!

ReputationRep:
    I also had a thought, that as everyone is out to promote themselves on TSR (yes you are don't deny it ) under the TSR section on descriptions, we could have the current member representing that nation, and all previous representatives? Thus it becomes a useful historical document too?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheese_Monster)
    We could have the current member representing that nation, and all previous representatives? Thus it becomes a useful historical document too?
    A great idea if you're happy to trawl through 8 years of MUN history. Massive kudos if you're OK to help with this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    A great idea if you're happy to trawl through 8 years of MUN history. Massive kudos if you're OK to help with this!
    Aye, but is there anywhere I can find the info quickly?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.