Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've always wanted to be a pilot and plan on applying once I've finished my maths degree (which ill be starting in Sept.). The question is which Air Force do you think is the best one to be part of? Would be cool to hear from people in the Air Force. Btw, I have dual nationality (US/UK)

ReputationRep:
    dependswhat you want to fly? helicpters r jets?

ReputationRep:
    *either way i woul say RAF, you know, national pride and ll, buti culd give reasons fo an against bothsides though

ReputationRep:
    Well I want to be a fighter pilot but I realise how competitive it is. Haha yeah but I have national pride for both nations. I was thinking RAF too tbh. The main reason I want to be a pilot is for the excitement and adventure but mainly because I love to travel. So whichever one let me travel the most would be better for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jones107)
    if you wat decent fighterjets youre best bet is with USAF then, after bringing ut the F22 raptor & osprey
    plus it has the mrkII thunderbld (warthog)

but competitin for these jets & fighters will always be HUGE,,
    i mean the RAF has the typhoon amoungst others, and is going to get sme F32's (a less good version f the F22 fo USA to sell),
    but the F22 raptor is hemost advanced in the wold at the moment, so, you know :P

you would travel with both, i mean, in bothair frces i think yu train withthe other for a shrt period of time
    Thanks for the info! Didn't realise that! That might sway my choice over the USAF knowing that youll get to fly better planes. I know that in the USAF you have to have a degree whereas in the RAF you just need two A-levels at C grade. Do you think that'll mean there'll be less competition in the USAF since the requirements are higher? I know a lot of americans go to university anyways

ReputationRep:
    UK may nt be getting the F32 though

there will be more, seeing as the USA have alot mor people, and the entry is probably a bit harder, and saying the moe jets, there are only a few F22s about, and i gess nly the best fly them, but it will be a fair few years befreyou reach them n there may have ben more made and the problem with the paint flaking srted out

ReputationRep:
    USAF has the largest and most varied fleet of pretty much anything anywhere and will recruit a LOT more pilots than pretty much anything anywhere. The RAF has very few of everything by comparison and isn't really recruiting pilots at the moment.

The choice seems obvious.

ReputationRep:
    RAF has typhoons and tornados as its fighter jets and a feww of the larger cariers
    mind you, it is one ofthemost advanced as in radar etc, though america is very close

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frube)
    Stop being a traitor, join the RAF. You're dreaming if you think you will be flying an F-22.
    Haha yeah I'd feel like Judas! Hey, somebody has to fly them!

ReputationRep:
    not just F22s, there are ther jets :P
    but RAF has had a very decent histry o areal warefare
    F4 fantom
    Avro Vulcan
    spitfire
    hurracane
    etc

*i THINK those are all british made
    and apparently the people who desiged the F22 raptor were english engineers working fr american companies

ReputationRep:
    No matter which you consider it will be competitive to gain entry to the pilot training programme. Don't forget that the USAF has the AF Academy, and ROTC programmes for people in college in the US. Getting in to Officer training in the USAF is competitive - it was something I considered when I was younger as I grew up in an USAF family - they pick and choose candidates based on your skills and your degree programme and their requirements.

My advice to you would be to speak to a USAF recruiter, and an RAF recruiter. Get a feel for both. There is a USAF recruiter based at RAF Mildenhall, and I'm sure he'd be happy to chat with you - his number and email address is on the USAF recruitment website - if you haven't contacted them already.

ReputationRep:
    if you wat decent fighterjets youre best bet is with USAF then, after bringing ut the F22 raptor & osprey
    plus it has the mrkII thunderbld (warthog)

but competitin for these jets & fighters will always be HUGE,,
    i mean the RAF has the typhoon amoungst others, and is going to get sme F32's (a less good version f the F22 fo USA to sell),
    but the F22 raptor is hemost advanced in the wold at the moment, so, you know :P

you would travel with both, i mean, in bothair frces i think yu train withthe other for a shrt period of time
    OK I admire your enthusiasm but there are a few things you may want to correct in that post so as not to confuse the OP.

- The V22 Osprey is not a fighter and it's not a USAF aircraft, it's a USMC transport aircraft.

- The Warthog is the A10 Thunderbolt 2, Thunderbird 2 is green and lives on Tracey Island.

- The RAF is looking at procuring F35 which is in no way related to the F22 Raptor, apart from being made by Lockheed Martin and being Stealth.

You don't "train withthe other for a shrt period of time" in either Air Force, you get the occasional exchange posting but that's it.

not just F22s, there are ther jets :P
    but RAF has had a very decent histry o areal warefare
    F4 fantom
    Avro Vulcan
    spitfire
    hurracane
    etc

*i THINK those are all british made
    and apparently the people who desiged the F22 raptor were english engineers working fr american companies
    The Phantom is American, made by McDonnell Douglas.

Also. please use correct english when posting. :judge:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    OK I admire your enthusiasm but there are a few things you may want to correct in that post so as not to confuse the OP.

- The V22 Osprey is not a fighter and it's not a USAF aircraft, it's a USMC transport aircraft.

- The Warthog is the A10 Thunderbolt 2, Thunderbird 2 is green and lives on Tracey Island.

- The RAF is looking at procuring F35 which is in no way related to the F22 Raptor, apart from being made by Lockheed Martin and being Stealth.

You don't "train withthe other for a shrt period of time" in either Air Force, you get the occasional exchange posting but that's it.

The Phantom is American, made by McDonnell Douglas.

Also. please use correct english when posting. :judge:

thanks for clearing that up
    as for the spelling, my laptop is slowly dying so unless i take ages on ever word it comes out wrong (and i have horrible spelling)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I didn't expect to get as much quality info. I'm gonna speak to some recruiters and then hopefully I'll figure out where is best for me. Like Schleigg said, the USAF recruit more pilots so maybe its a no brainer?

ReputationRep:
    Just to contribute something to consider also, my friend is like you, dual nationality, joined the RAF and was streamed rotary but left in the redundancies. He then tried to join the USAF but they will not accept any ex-serving members of any other countries military. I'm not sure where they draw the line but if you apply for both or choose one, don't make it and go for the other, choose the USAF path first. They MAY (note that I am speculating and just sharing an opinion) look at an application to any armed force that isn't American as a negative and could hinder you.

Good luck with what you choose!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    The USAF might be a better choice in terms of aircraft, etc. but the RAF (apart from being much, much cooler) are typically better train and will often win "war games" against their American counterparts despite the financial backing that the USAF has.

Just something to think about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teasin_tina)
    Just to contribute something to consider also, my friend is like you, dual nationality, joined the RAF and was streamed rotary but left in the redundancies. He then tried to join the USAF but they will not accept any ex-serving members of any other countries military. I'm not sure where they draw the line but if you apply for both or choose one, don't make it and go for the other, choose the USAF path first. They MAY (note that I am speculating and just sharing an opinion) look at an application to any armed force that isn't American as a negative and could hinder you.

Good luck with what you choose!
    Which reminds me; consider that the US does not officially recognise dual nationality either, it is sort of tolerated.

If you were to join the RAF, think carefully about how important your US citizenship is to you. They may consider joining the RAF as you formally relinquishing your US citizenship by serving in the armed forces of another country. It is considered to be an 'expatriating act'.

ReputationRep:
    PAF

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kinglynx)
    PAF
    You laugh, but they might have something...

Pakistani Air Force F16s beat Eurofighter Typhoons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    You laugh, but they might have something...

Pakistani Air Force F16s beat Eurofighter Typhoons
    lol i actually didn't mean it sarcastically... im an irish born pakistani
    and im actually thinking of going back to pakistan for Air force or army (more for self development rather than patriotism)

But now that ive seen that F1 pay for an RAF medical officer is 40k, i think i might change my direction

also, PAF has the highest kill record, i know it doesnt mean much but ... it does

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.