Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help me! Too much pressure to make these decisions! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am awful at school, I failed my first year of A Levels and am now resitting them whilst also taking my A2s. I do not enjoy school, I do not care about it. I want to be happy and this does not make me happy. Whilst university is a vague option it is not something I think I want to do. However I worry what my life will be like if I don't, will I be able to get a job I love?? I want to work in making films, or photography or events management - something creative. Anyone got any advice for my worried mind that does not want to be at school!!

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at BTECs

ReputationRep:
    Hi, IMO I don't think that university is for everyone, there are loads of vocational courses that you can take doing things creative. No A-levels are required, just enthusiasm. My sister, for example, is doing a technical theatre/stage management course at RADA which was vocational and she loves it!

Edit: Just read that you are interested in making films, there are lots of film courses and directing courses available, look at central school, RADA, etc. Oh and you can get a BA degree from such courses so it will not hinder you chances for future employment.

ReputationRep:
    I myself would love to get into something like film-making/theatre stuff/acting, you can alway look at college courses, apparently its rather different to school and is a good alternative to uni. One of my best friends is in the process of drafting her personal statement to go to a college later this year

ReputationRep:
    Since you're currently studying for your A2s and resitting your ASs, I would suggest you evaluate your performance thus far and see if you're currently likely to achieve respectable grades. I would say it might be better to tough it out and try and get the best grades you can, seeing as you're already enrolled and halfway in. However, if you think you're not likely to succeed in your A levels for whatever reasons, it might be best to simply pursue an alternative route into the professions that you mentioned. As suggested, BTECS are certainly a more vocational alternative, and can be very well suited to more practical professions such as photography and the arts, etc...

I would suggest you identify what field(s) you want to work in and what you need to work in them. Luckily for you the arts and more hands professions don't necessarily require a university degree or any qualification (but they almost always certainly do help), but rather speak through the quality of the work you produce.

As always, you yourself know much more about your personal situation than anyone else...so really only you can make a well informed decision as to your predicament.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sexy!egs)
    I am awful at school, I failed my first year of A Levels and am now resitting them whilst also taking my A2s. I do not enjoy school, I do not care about it. I want to be happy and this does not make me happy. Whilst university is a vague option it is not something I think I want to do. However I worry what my life will be like if I don't, will I be able to get a job I love?? I want to work in making films, or photography or events management - something creative. Anyone got any advice for my worried mind that does not want to be at school!!
    I was exactly the same, in my first year of sixth form I hated it and did awful in my exams (c, d, e, u) but decided to stick it out for another year, which was the worst decison seeing as i hated it even more, hardly went in (my attendance was at 23%) and ended up getting even worse grades than before (d, e, e). Wasted 2 years of my life on nothing. Do whatt you want otherwise you'll just regret it in the end. Although I hate work, finishing school this summer was the best thing ever. (although I do miss some memories)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShannonCarney)
    I was exactly the same, in my first year of sixth form I hated it and did awful in my exams (c, d, e, u) but decided to stick it out for another year, which was the worst decison seeing as i hated it even more, hardly went in (my attendance was at 23%) and ended up getting even worse grades than before (d, e, e). Wasted 2 years of my life on nothing. Do whatt you want otherwise you'll just regret it in the end. Although I hate work, finishing school this summer was the best thing ever. (although I do miss some memories)
    What do you do now since you have finished? And are you happy?

ReputationRep:
    Have a go at finding some work experience, if you like the look of a career in photography or events management, go for a BTEC maybe?

Who knows? You may end up not liking photography or events management as a long-term career, and may motivate you to stay on with A-levels, University etc. It's up to you, everyone'a different.

Do what YOU like, not what the media or friends or teachers tell you to like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sexy!egs)
    What do you do now since you have finished? And are you happy?
    Well im 19 now so finished my alevels the most recent summer. So much happier, literally such a weight off my shoulders.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.