Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I have a couple of questions about which compound is more basic
    1) pho- or ch3c=oo-. I though they both have resonance so fro both of them the avaliability of the long pair is reduced. But then i don't know
    2) pho- or phs-. Ive written down pho- is a stronger base but this has confused me as s is larger so would be more able to help a negative charge so surely phs- should be a stronger base.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah170194)
    Hi
    1) pho- or ch3c=oo-. I though they both have resonance so fro both of them the avaliability of the long pair is reduced. But then i don't know
    2) pho- or phs-. Ive written down pho- is a stronger base but this has confused me as s is larger so would be more able to help a negative charge so surely phs- should be a stronger base.

Thanks
    As a general guide
    Carboxylic acids have a pKa of ~ 5.
    Phenol pKa ~ 10

Hence phenoxide is a stronger base than a carboxylate.

As for thiophenol, you are correct that the larger S stabilises a negative charge more. You are confusing yourself regarding acids/bases though.

You know that acidity is related to the stability of the conjugate base. Hence, the more stable thiophenol anion is less basic (as the protonated form is more acidic).

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Thanks
    Hi

Can you please keep your question to one thread instead of starting a new one? It helps us to keep track.

Thanks

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2214573
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2214492

ReputationRep:
    ok sorry

ReputationRep:
    ok sorry
    no problem. You're new here

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.