Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I need to get hold of an A level in Maths ASAP. I am in my final year at University, doing history, and want to take a masters in economics, so I need an A level in Maths. I don't really know where to start, so if you could answer any of these questions I would be very grateful!

- Which distance learning college is best?
    - Is it worth doing a distance learning course, or is it better to teach yourself and then sit an exam?
    - How does one go about organizing to take the exams?

Thankyou all!

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by distance learning?

When do you need the A level by? Do you want to do a Masters straight away, and so want to sit both AS and A2 levels in the summer (as you're too late to sit any now), or do you want a year or two out and then come back and do the masters then?

As I don't know what distance learning means, what I'll say is do one of two things:

1) If you want to study it while you are at uni, i.e for this summer, it will have to be a mixture of home study and some at a school/college. I really wouldn't recommend this as you've not done Maths for almost 5 years so it'll take a while to get used to it.

2) If you want to do it in the year out, again, I'd recommend signing up to your local college or something and sitting it then. You'll just be doing Maths so this gives you time to a) learn it properly and b) work part time to save up for your masters or gain experience for a job after your study.

Obviously there's a third option and that is too learn it yourself but I prefer having first seen it done by some teacher kind of person, and then try it myself using the methods learnt, which is why I didn't suggest self teaching it. Chances are you might need some help with certain questions and things, and obviously you can ask on here and wherever for help but remember that the questions answered here can come down to luck. Either the right person isn't online to answer it or whatever. If you are at a college or school, then you can get your teacher to explain it and help you with it properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnaalpha)
    Hi all,

I need to get hold of an A level in Maths ASAP. I am in my final year at University, doing history, and want to take a masters in economics, so I need an A level in Maths. I don't really know where to start, so if you could answer any of these questions I would be very grateful!

- Which distance learning college is best?
    - Is it worth doing a distance learning course, or is it better to teach yourself and then sit an exam?
    - How does one go about organizing to take the exams?

Thankyou all!
    The NEC package of materials and tutor support is pretty good
    http://www.nec.ac.uk/courses/categor...tegory_id=3305
    Whether you'd be able to successfully teach yourself with text books alone and achieve a good enough grade depends a lot on your aptitude for maths, work ethic and learning style.

I'd recommend the Edexcel syllabus because of the widely available resources including the excellent exam solutions.
    http://www.examsolutions.net/

You have to find a centre willing to take you for the exams and enter as a private candidate.
    http://www.edexcel.com/i-am-a/studen...s/default.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou both that's very helpful.

I am going to see how teaching myself goes for a little bit, and if I find it impossible then I'll look at the NEC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnaalpha)
    Thankyou both that's very helpful.

I am going to see how teaching myself goes for a little bit, and if I find it impossible then I'll look at the NEC.
    Before you buy any books, check first that you can find an exam centre locally that will enable you to take the Edexcel syllabus. If not you may have to go with a different examiner.

If you can do Edexcel then I recommend this series of books (one for each unit)
    http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Edex.../9780435519100
    The CD contains worked solutions for every question that can be useful if self teaching. You can usually get them on ebay for about £5

ReputationRep:
    I found NEC a bit crap to be honest (this was for A-level Biology). I didn't bother doing it in the end, the materials weren't organised enough for me and then it turned out I didn't need the qualification after all anyway.

I am teaching myself A-level Maths. The Edexcel books recommended above are what I use and they're just fine. I also use m4ths.com for extra explanations.

Do NOT spend hundreds of pounds on what will only be an extra folder of work to do alongside using the textbooks. The only reason to ever bother with distance learning is for things where coursework is required so you can't just enter yourself for the exams.

I also absolutely wouldn't sign up at a college and do it there - you've been to university, you're capable of self-directed learning (I would hope).

ReputationRep:
    I think I will be able to learn it myself from the books.

At the moment I'm trying to find where I can take the edexcel A-level maths exam, have been on the website for ages and can't find it. If anyone knows how to find out please let me know!

ReputationRep:
    Actually, don't worry, found the page.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.