The Student Room Group

any in year 13 who has done chemistry advice please

Hi, If you are in year 13, and have done chemistry edexcel...
if you got an a,b for as,
1) how did you find the subject easier hard etc
2) how much work did you have to put in to get this grade
3) Any other general advice

Scroll to see replies

I'm in year 12 and doing edexcel chemistry aswell.
How is your revision going?
Reply 2
Tbh, I started too late. I didn't realize the past papers would be so hard!

When did you start revising and hows it going?
I started late aswell tbh, I did the 2009 papers but I found them really hard.

A friend of mine last year left chemistry revision till the night before and still managed to get 97%, she sat down for 6-8 hours straight and just read/understood her textbook, so I'm not giving up.
The key for chemistry is actually knowing and understanding the content in detail.

I have 4 exams, ocr bio 9th, edexcel chem 10th, ocr general studies 11th and edexcel C1 maths 14th so I'm pretty stressed.
Reply 4
i know the 2012 June one I found the easiest by far!

Wow 97% she must be really clever! I have no idea how she did that! That has definitely motivated me to get on with some revision!

I know how you feel - most stressed holidays ever!

I have bio aqa unit 1 psy aqa a unit 1 core 1 maths edexcel!
I think most people would have left their revision late and now wont do for unit 2!
If you don't mind me asking, how are you revising for chemistry, past papers or content???
Reply 6
Well, I feel I know most of the content, its the past papers which I'm finding difficult. I think if you understand all the concepts practicing exam questions is really important as it gives you taste of what your going to get and what they expect you to do so im just concentrating on past papers! wbu?
Original post by tree123

B
A lot
I find it insanely boring.
Original post by tree123
Well, I feel I know most of the content, its the past papers which I'm finding difficult. I think if you understand all the concepts practicing exam questions is really important as it gives you taste of what your going to get and what they expect you to do so im just concentrating on past papers! wbu?

What marks have you been getting for the chemistry papers so far??
Reply 9
Original post by tree123

Got a D in AS chemistry

A few marks off A star overall in A-level chemistry, everyone was shocked at my turnaround in yr 13 (resat the AS modules as well as doing the A2 modules)

Moral of the story: you can do it if you don't piss about for a year
Reply 10
Woah that is a big change! How did you improve your grade so much? Was is just by going over the concepts?
Reply 11
Original post by Shadow_Amber
What marks have you been getting for the chemistry papers so far??

C'S I want an a !
How have you been revising?
Original post by tree123

1) Found it okay- I enjoy it so it's not too bad
2) 1 week Christmas Holidays - about 6-7 hours a day, papers the week after; and around the same for unit 2 I suppose.
3) Understand it. Don't memorise it.

Got an A with 100% (unit 1), and 87% (unit 2).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Hey I got an A at AS, personally I find chemistry easier than my other subjects but that's because I really like it I guess!

The key is to repeat past papers over and over, learn the model answers!

For reagents and conditions I make flash cards, question on front, answers on back.- You could do this to define terms as well!

Then whenever you are watching tv or something bring them down and test yourself as you watch it.

I put in tons of work for all my subjects, but I guess Chemistry one of the most as it's both application and memory :smile:
Reply 14
Got an A at AS. Favourite subject :smile:

A2 has more maths, but is far more interesting. I found it harder while learning it as I'm not a natural at maths, but once you understand the concepts the questions are fairly straightforward. Transition metals are great fun (colourful!) and the organic unit looks great, I'm really looking forward to it.

It requires less work than my other subjects (bio, psych), but you can't just piss about - you have to actually understand it.

If you like chemistry, take it, but you will need to be fairly maths confident and might need to do extra maths work if you got a poor GCSE or don't do AS maths.
Reply 15
Original post by TheNoobyPotato
1) Found it okay- I enjoy it so it's not too bad
2) 1 week Christmas Holidays - about 6-7 hours a day, papers the week after; and around the same for unit 2 I suppose.
3) Understand it. Don't memorise it.

Got an A with 100% (unit 1), and 87% (unit 2).

Posted from TSR Mobile

if you did 6-7 hours per day on chemistry how did you find time for other subjects?!

Wow 100%- is unit 2 a lot harder then?
Reply 16
Original post by Kev.1995
Hey I got an A at AS, personally I find chemistry easier than my other subjects but that's because I really like it I guess!

The key is to repeat past papers over and over, learn the model answers!

For reagents and conditions I make flash cards, question on front, answers on back.- You could do this to define terms as well!

Then whenever you are watching tv or something bring them down and test yourself as you watch it.

I put in tons of work for all my subjects, but I guess Chemistry one of the most as it's both application and memory :smile:

so how early did you start revising?
Reply 17
Original post by snakeyface
Got an A at AS. Favourite subject :smile:

A2 has more maths, but is far more interesting. I found it harder while learning it as I'm not a natural at maths, but once you understand the concepts the questions are fairly straightforward. Transition metals are great fun (colourful!) and the organic unit looks great, I'm really looking forward to it.

It requires less work than my other subjects (bio, psych), but you can't just piss about - you have to actually understand it.

If you like chemistry, take it, but you will need to be fairly maths confident and might need to do extra maths work if you got a poor GCSE or don't do AS maths.

I do enjoy chemistry but I dont know what to do to get the top grades?
Original post by tree123
if you did 6-7 hours per day on chemistry how did you find time for other subjects?!

Wow 100%- is unit 2 a lot harder then?

2 weeks holidays.
1 week Biology unit 1- 100% in exam
1 week Chemistry unit 1

(whilst fitting in some practice for maths which I scraped an A in lol)

Unit 2 is alright. I think I made more mistakes. It is slightly harder though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by TheNoobyPotato
2 weeks holidays.
1 week Biology unit 1- 100% in exam
1 week Chemistry unit 1

(whilst fitting in some practice for maths which I scraped an A in lol)

Unit 2 is alright. I think I made more mistakes. It is slightly harder though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh ok is there any specific good chem notes you good recommend?

Did your revision just consist of learning the concepts then doing past papers?

Quick Reply

Latest