Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

any in year 13 who has done chemistry advice please Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tree123)
    so how early did you start revising?
    I started serious revision for AS in Easter, I only had one exam for Jan in AS.

I think part of Chemistry is to enjoy it, you have to really understand the chemistry (pardon the pun) behind the subject to know what's going on- and why.

If you don't understand something in lesson, or it's a bit hazy, just read up about it in your textbook and solidify your understanding. If you totally don't get it, ask your teacher at lunch they'll be more than happy to help- their pay or 'bonus' is scaled with your achievement.

If I were you, pay attention in lessons, that sounds stupid but if you have an interest in something the teacher says- ask why it does that! It helps your understanding and your interest in the subject! It's not 'nerdy' to do that, the only thing you gain is respect from your teacher and other classmates.

This isn't GCSE anymore, it's no longer 'cool' to slack and mess about in class! During A levels you'll realize that it's 'cooler' to achieve.

ReputationRep:
    oh ok is there any specific good chem notes you good recommend?

Did your revision just consist of learning the concepts then doing past papers?
    Yeah, mostly learning concepts, some remembering in organic chemistry. Remember to learn from your past papers. Don't just mark them, see where you went wrong and learn from your mistakes. Past Papers also show you exemplar ways of answering certain questions.

good chem notes? Erm, well I just made my notes from the George Facer textbook. If you're stuck, you could try chemguide or docbrown online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kev.1995)
    I started serious revision for AS in Easter, I only had one exam for Jan in AS.

I think part of Chemistry is to enjoy it, you have to really understand the chemistry (pardon the pun) behind the subject to know what's going on- and why.

If you don't understand something in lesson, or it's a bit hazy, just read up about it in your textbook and solidify your understanding. If you totally don't get it, ask your teacher at lunch they'll be more than happy to help- their pay or 'bonus' is scaled with your achievement.

If I were you, pay attention in lessons, that sounds stupid but if you have an interest in something the teacher says- ask why it does that! It helps your understanding and your interest in the subject! It's not 'nerdy' to do that, the only thing you gain is respect from your teacher and other classmates.

This isn't GCSE anymore, it's no longer 'cool' to slack and mess about in class! During A levels you'll realize that it's 'cooler' to achieve.

Oh I didnt know teachers get a bonus if you do well? Does the school overall get more money if they high achieving students as well?

What revision aids did you use?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNoobyPotato)
    Yeah, mostly learning concepts, some remembering in organic chemistry. Remember to learn from your past papers. Don't just mark them, see where you went wrong and learn from your mistakes. Past Papers also show you exemplar ways of answering certain questions.

good chem notes? Erm, well I just made my notes from the George Facer textbook. If you're stuck, you could try chemguide or docbrown online.

Ok thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    Oh I didnt know teachers get a bonus if you do well? Does the school overall get more money if they high achieving students as well?

What revision aids did you use?
    My physics teacher told me their pay is scaled with the amount of A's or whatever they get. Which makes sense really, if all their students get A*'s, they're doing a good job and should get paid more right?

I used my textbook, past paper questions and www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk
    That website has huge databases of questions for AQA and OCR chemistry

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks for your help!! Its appreicated

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks for your help
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I got a B in AS, I think it's important that you don't mindlessly memorise the textbook, it's much more important to understand what it is saying, if there' even a small part you don't understand look for help. Once you have a full understanding then do practice past papers, look at mark schemes to see how the examiner like your answers to be written as text books and mark schemes don't always match up. Finally, once you do all the past papers, DO THEM AGAIN. Surprisingly, I find that the second time round I still can't get full marks because I just don't know the answers, this is important because this tells you where you are struggling.

ReputationRep:
    I am strictly doing past papers, you learn the content at the same time as learning what to actually write. I repeat each past paper until I am getting 90% or above. It works since I am noticing an improvement in my marks, every time I do a new paper I haven't done before.

Also, Good luck everyone! I'll be off now to get some more revision done.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, If you are in year 13, and have done chemistry edexcel...
    if you got an a,b for as,
    1) how did you find the subject easier hard etc
    2) how much work did you have to put in to get this grade
    3) Any other general advice
    1) Fine; I enjoy science, but it was by no means my hardest AS, nor my easiest
    2) A fair amount, more than say Biology, much more than Physics. But it wasn't a ridiculous amount, and it paid off.
    3) Learn the mechanisms and definitions! Easy marks. Also I've always found that doing past papers is the best revision; the questions don't vary excessively from year to year.

ReputationRep:

1) i found the subject very hard - as chemistry was very different to my subject choices. I did salters chemistry ocr?
    2) i put in a lot of work, but i liked chemistry so i didnt see it as a lot of work at the time. Compared to my other subjects (english/ government) i spent hours pouring over textbooks.

3) i would say if you enjoy chemistry then do it - because you will find the will to actual sit down and put the time in. I enjoyed it, and so i think thats where i won out in the end, compared to most of my friend who 'had' to do it because their desired university degree required it. If you dont need it for a degree choice/ you dont enjoy it at the moment then dont do it.

Be prepared to put time in, to do your assignments/ readings. Thats how i got my a* in the end for it at A2.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    A little late but I'm deciding between Salters and Edexcel...anyone know anything about these two? I'd really like some help - I heard Salters is all experiments and stuff...? Looking to do Medicine if that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nombo)
    A little late but I'm deciding between Salters and Edexcel...anyone know anything about these two? I'd really like some help - I heard Salters is all experiments and stuff...? Looking to do Medicine if that helps.
    Do AQA if you can, best science exam board IMO
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I got a high B at AS, ended up with a high B for A2 I'm gonna be retaking unit 5 to get my A overall.

1) Found it easier ironically, there will be topics like entropy, transition elements and electrochemistry that can get a little confusing at first, but is easier than AS.
    2) Fair amount of work, four hours per week at home of revision.
    3) Look at the syllabus always! There are some small sub-topics in the textbooks which are not relevant because it isn't in the syllabus.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by darbyj)
    Do AQA if you can, best science exam board IMO
    AQA is on the same level as edexcel I heard. However they are an inconsistent exam board, just look at what they threw at the unit 5 guys in june 2012, I heard that was such a nasty paper and probably cost some people uni places.

OCR is the easiest, for both bio and chem, just looking at the past papers make me cringe.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by nombo)
    OCR Salters B is weird. There are a lot of experiments, which can help your understanding, but not if your teachers are like mine, and don't teach you the theory alongside it :sigh: And there's two textbooks, which is slightly irritating. I don't know much about OCR A or any other exam board though, so can't really compare

ReputationRep:
    Ocr A is good for exams, however mark schemes are really harsh so even if your context is correct you wont get marks if you dont mention specific keywords/phrase, practical is a major floo though so many people do bad in them E/Us

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A

It's my favourite subject so I'm not the best to ask in terms of how hard it is. I found it very easy but I did have to revise a fair bit, not more than Maths though.

My advice: do a lot of past papers, because of all my subjects Chemistry is the easiest to lose marks in for not phrasing the answer the right way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    AQA is on the same level as edexcel I heard. However they are an inconsistent exam board, just look at what they threw at the unit 5 guys in june 2012, I heard that was such a nasty paper and probably cost some people uni places.

OCR is the easiest, for both bio and chem, just looking at the past papers make me cringe.
    I did the June 2012 CHEM5 paper as a mock, and it was fine. People will always use that as an excuse, AQA is actually very consistent imo.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.