Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GIRLS where did you/are you buying your prom dress from? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 13 and boredom has lead to browsing for prom dresses. I know it's a bit early, but oh well! What are good sights to look at? Looking for a long dress, any ideas?
    So far I've found lightinthebox to be a good sight

ReputationRep:
    I don't usually like Jane Norman's clothes, but they have some lovely evening gowns on sale

ReputationRep:
    For Year 11, I got mine in January on sale in Debenhams (£56 for a £120 dress, I was very happy :P)

ReputationRep:
    I actually got mine from ebay. I know people who sent £100s on their dress and mine (which only cost £30) actually looked much better and more expensive!!

However, with all the sales going on at the moment, it might be best for you to go to actual shops as at least you will be abe to try in on before you buy it (the downside of ordering from online). Some good shops that sell prom dresses are:

Debenhams
    Jane Norman
    House of Fraser
    Coast
    Lipsy
    TK Maxx
    Next (have a large range of prom dresses on their website, dresses you would not find in their shops)

ReputationRep:
    Forever unique

ReputationRep:
    Though at the moment, their dresses don't look great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaNerdfighter)
    For Year 11, I got mine in January on sale in Debenhams (£56 for a £120 dress, I was very happy :P)

I got my year 11 prom dress from the Debenhams sale aswell, I had agreed with my parents that the dress must be £100 or less, and in the sale I got a stunning red strapless gown for £100! :love:

However, for parties and other fancy occasions, I always buy dresses from House of Fraser.

P.S. prior to this, I attempted to order a beautiful red dress from an online website (claiming to be the world's No.1 leading site for weddings and proms) with the factory based in China. After waiting three weeks for the dress, which never arrived, my mum called up her bank and cancelled the "order", and thankfully we got the money back.

ReputationRep:
    Lightinthebox, it was awesome and fit really well (used tailor made feature) but had to pay import duty on it when it came in! So watch out for it being a good £20 on top of your dress at least

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Young Hot Stalin)
    I got my year 11 prom dress from the Debenhams sale aswell, I had agreed with my parents that the dress must be £100 or less, and in the sale I got a stunning red strapless gown for £100! :love:

However, for parties and other fancy occasions, I always buy dresses from House of Fraser.

P.S. prior to this, I attempted to order a beautiful red dress from an online website (claiming to be the world's No.1 leading site for weddings and proms) with the factory based in China. After waiting three weeks for the dress, which never arrived, my mum called up her bank and cancelled the "order", and thankfully we got the money back.
    Awesome
    I was in House of Fraser the other day and some of their dresses look so lovely... I really need a job before I can buy one though :-/
    Good thing you cancelled it!
    My friend's prom dress arrived 3 days after prom >.< Her fault for ordering it so late though :P

ReputationRep:
    Strongly recommend http://www.dressespro.com/. Got my dress from there last year. Ordering prom dresses from the internet isn't usually a good idea, but here you can put in custom measurements and they make it to your size. Also, there is a HUGE range of colours available for each dress, and the prices are pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    My year 11 prom dress was from Coast and year 13 prom dress was from Lipsy. I seriously recommend going round shops and trying dresses on, I found my dream dress, tried it on and hated it so if I'd have ordered offline I wouldn't have been too happy.

ReputationRep:
    My Year 11 prom dress from 2010 was this:

Name:  dress 2010.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  10.7 KB about £100 from Debenhams.

I didn't have a Year 13 prom but this is the dress I'm planning to wear to my uni's summer ball. It's a vintage dress from Ebay:

Name:  dress.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  57.9 KB It's white but I'm going to use lots of colourful accessories to make it look less bridal.

ReputationRep:
    My year 11 prom, I got my dress from a boutique near where I live. They sell lots of prom dresses and are connected to a bridesmaid/bride company so there was a lot of selection. It was this one in the purple shown. Everyone wore floor length gowns to my prom. Some went for the poofy style, but most were like the one in the link above. We were on a boat on the Thames for it.

My year 13 prom, I just wore a strapless black knee-length dress. Think it might have been a Red Herring dress from Debenhams and cost no more than £50. I actually bought it for a charity dinner/dance a little while before that I had organised, and wore it with some jewellery of my Mum's to make it look a little different. I had bought a different dress, but changed my mind about it, and didn't feel comfortable in it, a couple of weeks before Prom. Our Year 13 prom was much less formal. We went to a hotel in London for a dinner/dance. All the teachers were there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beffnee)
    My year 11 prom, I got my dress from a boutique near where I live. They sell lots of prom dresses and are connected to a bridesmaid/bride company so there was a lot of selection. It was this one in the purple shown. Everyone wore floor length gowns to my prom. Some went for the poofy style, but most were like the one in the link above. We were on a boat on the Thames for it.
    I was in a hotel overlooking the seafront for mine. Most girls from my school, the "popular" ones definitely went for the poofy, chavvy style blue, pink, yellow GREEN (:puke:) dresses like this: Name:  Corset-style-beaded-bodice-and-cocktail-prom-dresses.jpg
Views: 15738
Size:  241.1 KB fake tan fake nails, fake lashes, tangoed and covered in glitter standing next to their spiky haired chavvy boyfriends with a matching pink/yellow/green tie. I went with my best friend as friends and we both wanted to look different from the general "prom" style. So we both got long dresses from Debenhams

ReputationRep:
    Mine was from Oasis There's a joint Warehouse & Oasis in my nearest town and if I could, I would buy all my clothes from there!

ReputationRep:
    I got mine from Warehouse for like £80-£90, but i remember it was dead tough for me to decide between the one i got and a dress from House of Fraser. I would definitely recommend looking at the House of Fraser ones tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *~HeartShapedBox)
    I was in a hotel overlooking the seafront for mine. Most girls from my school, the "popular" ones definitely went for the poofy, chavvy style blue, pink, yellow GREEN (:puke:) dresses like this: Name:  Corset-style-beaded-bodice-and-cocktail-prom-dresses.jpg
Views: 15738
Size:  241.1 KB fake tan fake nails, fake lashes, tangoed and covered in glitter standing next to their spiky haired chavvy boyfriends with a matching pink/yellow/green tie. I went with my best friend as friends and we both wanted to look different from the general "prom" style. So we both got long dresses from Debenhams
    That is precisely the look I was referring to

ReputationRep:
    I found my dress at Roberto Cavalli. And I wouldn't suggest getting a dress from somewhere like Jane Norman, monsoon or coast because those are common shops that everyone will shop at, so there's more chance that someone might end up wearing the same dress as you

ReputationRep:
    John Lewis had some really nice floor length dresses in the sale, quite a lot around the £45-50 mark.

ReputationRep:
    Ebay! It took hours and thousands of dresses for me to find the perfect one for me! I did find a vintage one for my summer ball and it was fabulous! With vintage you can get some really nice pieces that no one sees anymore! TKMaxx also do some nice ones and one off ones!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.