Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Worries about insurance with a tracker Watch

ReputationRep:
    Being a 19 year old male who lives in London, insurance was clearly going to be a problem. I have however found some decent quotes which include having a tracker fitted. Now, I don't mind it too much but I do have some worries:

a) The location/address: on the quote, I provided a relative's address which is outside of London (the address is about 40 to 50 minutes away from my actual address). Consequently, the price was cut by about half! The worry I have is that if I have a tracker installed, won't it be obvious to the insurer that this isn't my "real" home address when they see me parking and basically using my actual address instead of the relatives'? I won't be anywhere near the relative's address

b) Speed limits: I once read somewhere that '90%+ people go over the speed limit' and although I don't know how true this is, it's clear from driving that in some areas, going at 30 causes delays and its a bit daunting when you're at the limit but everyone else is just speeding past. How much would this change the insurance?

c) Price: is the price of the quote they provide the limit? What I mean is if they see bad driving with the tracker, could it increase the quote or is there a limit?

Thanks for any help

P.S Happy new year!

ReputationRep:
    The trackers are assessed monthly so it gives an average reading of the data its picked up, so I don't think the insurance company would neccesarily be watching exactly where you go. However, it is risky not giving them your address, surely they will be sending documents to you, so therefore the addresses will not add up?

In terms of the speed, the 90%+ statistic is probably true, everyone has the occaison where they go over, even if it is just a small amount such as 32mph. However, like I said before, each month they will average out the data, so this applies with the speed. There is an allowance for bad days, so if you go 40 in a 30 a few times a month, it will slightly raise your overall average speed but shouldn't affect your premium, but if you go way over 30 constantly, the average will be high and the price will be higher.

ReputationRep:
    you need to move your license details to new address?? the insurance need to beware of where you live/park everyday

if the address is different make sure you get the insurance to give you in writing the different address and it won't make any difference when you need to make a claim

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatGuyCalledMo)
    Being a 19 year old male who lives in London, insurance was clearly going to be a problem. I have however found some decent quotes which include having a tracker fitted. Now, I don't mind it too much but I do have some worries:

a) The location/address: on the quote, I provided a relative's address which is outside of London (the address is about 40 to 50 minutes away from my actual address). Consequently, the price was cut by about half! The worry I have is that if I have a tracker installed, won't it be obvious to the insurer that this isn't my "real" home address when they see me parking and basically using my actual address instead of the relatives'? I won't be anywhere near the relative's address

b) Speed limits: I once read somewhere that '90%+ people go over the speed limit' and although I don't know how true this is, it's clear from driving that in some areas, going at 30 causes delays and its a bit daunting when you're at the limit but everyone else is just speeding past. How much would this change the insurance?

c) Price: is the price of the quote they provide the limit? What I mean is if they see bad driving with the tracker, could it increase the quote or is there a limit?

Thanks for any help

P.S Happy new year!
    A. Yes it will be obvious to them, and you should be honest with them about things like that, as knowingly giving false details in order to get cheaper insurance is fraud, and it will invalidate your policy.

B. A lot of people break speed limits. That doesn't mean that you have to. Yes, you may hold people up a bit by following the speed limit, but that's their problem, not yours. You're not doing anything wrong by following the speed limit, quite the opposite.

C. Not sure about this myself, I think it depends on the provider.

ReputationRep:
    My friend had one of these in his car and he was driving like a maniac .... amazingly his insurance ain't eve gone up, so I wouldn't worry too much about having a tracker, plus I guess it could come in handy if someone was to steal your car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatGuyCalledMo)

Thanks for any help

P.S Happy new year!
    a) Yes, especially if they fit the tracker at your actual home address, then that by itself will indicate something is up.

b) Usually 30 limits should be kept to, as they are set in built-up areas, and areas where you might hit someone - and the difference between hitting someone at 30 and 40 for instance is very big. Motorways and NSL roads much more people speed, but you should still be able to stick to the speed limit without issue.

c) Varies from company to company - check the T&Cs.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry about not speeding. I admit that I jaunt a lot, but I stick to 30 roads simply because I save petrol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well I put down my adress and said the car will be kept at my uni address overnight.

However it's not at my uni address half the time and I've never been picked up on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)
    Well I put down my adress and said the car will be kept at my uni address overnight.

However it's not at my uni address half the time and I've never been picked up on it.
    But at least it's been there.

I'd personally just take the hit and declare it truthfully.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.