Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have somewhat average GCSE's - a few a's but mainly b's and c'sNow I have resat my A levels with no success. Failed both times and the odd ones I passed were E's.... pretty mediocre. I didn't work , I hold my hands up and expect it.However I am now doing a BTEC Applied Science Level 3 extended diploma. I am working hard for it too! I am now on track for distnictions.My relevant experience: I have no work experience but I have been a Police Cadet for a while and I am now training with a local force to become a Special Constable (volunteer police officer) , the question is would I be accepted for law?If it helps im looking at these unis: Oxford Brookes , Kent , Surrey , Sussex , Reading , Birkbeck , College of Law , BPP , Essex , HertfordshireWould the fact that I resat a levels and failed? doing a btec? and in science? go against me.Many thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for lack of spacing. Bloody tablet

ReputationRep:
    Okay so, what are your A levels? Law school's like to see progressional Academic strength, if missed at GCSE, the minimum for a career in Law and a mid-top range firm is around the ABB mark. If you are looking for a career at the Bar or to become a Solicitor, you need to be aiming for a Red-brick Uni. Equally among the choices you have listed, Sussex and Reading ask for AAB-AAA, with Ox Brookes and Essex i believe asking for ABB, therefore it may be imperative that you resit and work towards getting good A levels, Although equally if you do achieve a distinction this may not matter. Finally, im not sure on the extent to which you being a Police cadet "for a while" will help your case, with that perhaps more verging on the criminology route.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manty)
    you need to be aiming for a Red-brick Uni.
    It doesn't have to be red brick, lots of very good unis aren't. Nowadays Russell Group is probably a better rough guide than redbrick.

For OP, just email the unis about it, this is usually the best option when you've come a non-standard route.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    It doesn't have to be red brick, lots of very good unis aren't. Nowadays Russell Group is probably a better rough guide than redbrick.

For OP, just email the unis about it, this is usually the best option when you've come a non-standard route.
    The majority of Red-Brick are also Russel Group...Also its highly specific not exactly a rough guide..
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manty)
    The majority of Red-Brick are also Russel Group...Also its highly specific not exactly a rough guide..
    All red bricks are RG now, inevitably given the sort of unis they are and what is necessary to be in the RG. I was pointing out that it doesn't have to be a red brick (particularly if OP doesn't fancy the larger city and bigger party scene that comes with them), any 'good' uni, eg. Exeter, Warwick, Nottingham, Durham, Southampton, LSE, UCL, Oxford, KCL and so on, will be more than enough to keep them in the TC/Pup hunt.

I meant as in don't take it as gospel, like 'RG and similar', so once you know who the RG are it's easier to work out if another uni (eg. SOAS) is of similar standing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    All red bricks are RG now, inevitably given the sort of unis they are and what is necessary to be in the RG. I was pointing out that it doesn't have to be a red brick (particularly if OP doesn't fancy the larger city and bigger party scene that comes with them), any 'good' uni, eg. Exeter, Warwick, Nottingham, Durham, Southampton, LSE, UCL, Oxford, KCL and so on, will be more than enough to keep them in the TC/Pup hunt.

I meant as in don't take it as gospel, like 'RG and similar', so once you know who the RG are it's easier to work out if another uni (eg. SOAS) is of similar standing.
    Fair enough, i only mentioned it to give some idea of the calibre needed for a TC. I'll let you off then
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manty)
    Fair enough, i only mentioned it to give some idea of the calibre needed for a TC. I'll let you off then
    Haha, why thank you. Just didn't want OP googling 'red brick' and being somewhat upset that his dreams of London or a campus had been obliterated, with the news that TCs and pupillage all went to grads of big city, largely Northern unis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Jon)
    I have somewhat average GCSE's - a few a's but mainly b's and c'sNow I have resat my A levels with no success. Failed both times and the odd ones I passed were E's.... pretty mediocre. I didn't work , I hold my hands up and expect it.However I am now doing a BTEC Applied Science Level 3 extended diploma. I am working hard for it too! I am now on track for distnictions.My relevant experience: I have no work experience but I have been a Police Cadet for a while and I am now training with a local force to become a Special Constable (volunteer police officer) , the question is would I be accepted for law?If it helps im looking at these unis: Oxford Brookes , Kent , Surrey , Sussex , Reading , Birkbeck , College of Law , BPP , Essex , HertfordshireWould the fact that I resat a levels and failed? doing a btec? and in science? go against me.Many thanks in advance.

(Original post by roh)
    I think I would invent a friend to make an enquiry on your behalf.

In many ways the less attention that is drawn to your application, the better your chances. You will meet their admissions criteria (an 18 year old with the BTEC qualification probably wouldn't raise an eyebrow), but if you are looked at closely, you did poorly in academic qualifications but have done well in a vocational science one. At that level you look quite a risk. Your strengths may lie in things irrelevant to a law degree.

I think you want your application looked at by a bored admissions officer not a law tutor.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.