Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've never been in love - or so I don't think I've been in love..
    The longest I've been with someone is the current relationship (nearly a yr).. my last relationship for a yr, but we also dated 3 months before making it official and I never said I love you, neither did he..

My bf has said I love you recently, but I laughed it off nervously and he said he really means it.. yet when we are intimate - not having sex-, he says I love you' sometimes and when I do laughed it off or say 'yeah okayyy', he kinda gets mad..

I believe when you love someone you have to accept evrything about them.. yet he sometimes brings up my past and brings up my ex and argues with me over something so pointless and in my opinion that's not love..

I do really care about him, and obviously even though we've been through A LOT I do still really really like him.. But when is it right to say 'I love you' and how do you 'know' you're in love or not..??

helppppppppppppppppp!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WdesireW)
    I've never been in love - or so I don't think I've been in love..
    The longest I've been with someone is the current relationship (nearly a yr).. my last relationship for a yr, but we also dated 3 months before making it official and I never said I love you, neither did he..

My bf has said I love you recently, but I laughed it off nervously and he said he really means it.. yet when we are intimate - not having sex-, he says I love you' sometimes and when I do laughed it off or say 'yeah okayyy', he kinda gets mad..

I believe when you love someone you have to accept evrything about them.. yet he sometimes brings up my past and brings up my ex and argues with me over something so pointless and in my opinion that's not love..

I do really care about him, and obviously even though we've been through A LOT I do still really really like him.. But when is it right to say 'I love you' and how do you 'know' you're in love or not..??

helppppppppppppppppp!?
    This question is as old as time, and I know it's not much use to you, but I promise you'll know when you are in love, and then you'll feel comfortable saying it. Perhaps don't laugh at him when he tells you he loves you, cause that's kind of harsh if he really does...

ReputationRep:
    If you have to ask yourself if you love someone, chances are you probably don't. You'll just know when you do. It's a hard thing to try and describe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by proud nd luvin it)
    This question is as old as time, and I know it's not much use to you, but I promise you'll know when you are in love, and then you'll feel comfortable saying it. Perhaps don't laugh at him when he tells you he loves you, cause that's kind of harsh if he really does...

Hmm yeah I guess.. I just laugh because it does get me nervous and also I dont believe it.. guess its my gut feeling!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law_student93)
    If you have to ask yourself if you love someone, chances are you probably don't. You'll just know when you do. It's a hard thing to try and describe.

Thanks.
    yeah I guess you're right. hard to decribe!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a cliche but imo, I just knew. I felt properly "in love" quite a bit after we first started getting intimate. Probably started feeling REALLY in love 4 or 5 months after we first started dating. I certainly really really liked him up until this point but one day it just hit me that I love him. It just gets better and better as the years go on.

ReputationRep:
    You say it when you feel ready and when you mean it. Love means different things to different people but everyone knows when they love someone because you will understand your personal definition. You don't sound particularly sure of your relationship and you don't sound ready to say you love him. That is absolutely fine but you should probably try to be a bit more considerate of his feelings; if he is telling you he loves you then it must be quite hurtful to be laughed at.
    Whilst I can see where you are coming from regarding accepting people for who they are, it does sound as if you are perhaps being slightly idealistic? Loving someone should definitely mean accepting them and not trying to change 'who they are' but if he has a problem with something you have done recently (or in the past) then it doesn't mean he doesn't love you just because he wants to talk about that. If you want the relationship to succeed then you both need to listen and try to understand each other's perspective so that you can move on. Once an issue has been raised and dealt with then it should be allowed to stay in the past though; he shouldn't be constantly bringing up the same thing if you've already been over the issue and dealt with it.
    There is no set rule on when to say 'I love you' and no singular definition to tell you if you love someone but as the cliche goes 'when you do, you'll know'. You might get to that point at a later point than your boyrfiend and that's ok but do try to be gentle with him until then and try to imagine how you'd feel if you finally felt ready, told him you loved him and he laughed in your face? You don't have to say it back if you don't feel it but you could try explaining that you don't feel ready rather than laughing?

ReputationRep:
    We cannot tell you when to say it because as someone has already said, you'll just know!
    I've been with my boyfriend for nearly three years (three years in March!) And I knew after the first week of properly being with him that I loved him, and I guess I was right cos we're still together But you know I knew him seven months before we started dating, mind you we didn't properly talk until that February..

Anyways I know it can be scary opening up to someone and releasing your true feelings, but I find it odd after nearly being with your boyfriend for a year you still aren't sure of whether or not you love him that's not to say you don't, or you won't, maybe if you start believing that your boy loves you, and for a guy to say that to a girl takes a lot (I believe him and I don't know him!) the question is why don't you think he loves you? if you're doubting him or doubting yourself I think that's why you can't tell him you love him, and that right there is your problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sazzle4)
    You say it when you feel ready and when you mean it. Love means different things to different people but everyone knows when they love someone because you will understand your personal definition. You don't sound particularly sure of your relationship and you don't sound ready to say you love him. That is absolutely fine but you should probably try to be a bit more considerate of his feelings; if he is telling you he loves you then it must be quite hurtful to be laughed at.
    Whilst I can see where you are coming from regarding accepting people for who they are, it does sound as if you are perhaps being slightly idealistic? Loving someone should definitely mean accepting them and not trying to change 'who they are' but if he has a problem with something you have done recently (or in the past) then it doesn't mean he doesn't love you just because he wants to talk about that. If you want the relationship to succeed then you both need to listen and try to understand each other's perspective so that you can move on. Once an issue has been raised and dealt with then it should be allowed to stay in the past though; he shouldn't be constantly bringing up the same thing if you've already been over the issue and dealt with it.
    There is no set rule on when to say 'I love you' and no singular definition to tell you if you love someone but as the cliche goes 'when you do, you'll know'. You might get to that point at a later point than your boyrfiend and that's ok but do try to be gentle with him until then and try to imagine how you'd feel if you finally felt ready, told him you loved him and he laughed in your face? You don't have to say it back if you don't feel it but you could try explaining that you don't feel ready rather than laughing?
    It was a small laugh, wasnt outrageous or anytihng, but he kinda laughed too. I mean yeah I do care about him a lot, but when he goes over the past it frustrates me as we have been through it soo many times. I never bring up his past, so also concerns me too. He said it then looked at me and said oh i didnt mean that but you know how much I like you, so he leaves me confused. I get what you're saying, and I guess ill have to wait until the time is right and its 100%

ReputationRep:
    We went through a lot in the summer, and end of summer due to trust issues so I kinda felt confused about whether the relationship was right for me or not..
    Also, drama cirulating the rellationship from outsiders so it doesnt help on both of us.. it hurts when someone tells you they wish they never met you because of people destroying the relationship.. obviously its confusing for someone to believe those words after theyve said that yo you..
    yeah I guess doubting is one of those reasons. I guess it's hard to explain how I feel right now.. x

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid to say that if you were in love with him, there would be absolutely nothing holding you back from telling him. In fact, you'd want to tell the world, and it would actually be a burning desire to hear him say it to you.

If you are confused as to whether you are in love or not, I don't think you are. For some people they fall in love after a long time, and maybe you will find that too, but it is always going to be painful for the other person whose love is not reciprocated, and they will be the person who gets hurt. Someone who is in love is not someone to be messed around with. To them, you are more important than anything else in the world, and feelings that strong can easily be manipulated.

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on how you feel, my bf said "I love you" after 3 weeks which actually freaked me out a bit but two months later I knew I felt the same and was able to say it back

ReputationRep:
    You feel it, something clicks and you feel it. I can't describe the feeling and I can't tell you when you'll know, but you will feel it. You'll just look at him and think "I love you"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Young Hot Stalin)
    I'm afraid to say that if you were in love with him, there would be absolutely nothing holding you back from telling him. In fact, you'd want to tell the world, and it would actually be a burning desire to hear him say it to you.

If you are confused as to whether you are in love or not, I don't think you are. For some people they fall in love after a long time, and maybe you will find that too, but it is always going to be painful for the other person whose love is not reciprocated, and they will be the person who gets hurt. Someone who is in love is not someone to be messed around with. To them, you are more important than anything else in the world, and feelings that strong can easily be manipulated.
    I would never mess him around and he knows that.. i guess i will probably become those girls that will take a long time to eventually say it.

ReputationRep:
    Are you one of those girls who has "issues" and finds it "uncomfortable" to say I love you :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2ndClass)
    Are you one of those girls who has "issues" and finds it "uncomfortable" to say I love you :rolleyes:
    Issue.. I don't think it's that.. more to the point of I dont know if its love or not, and if its the right time.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.