The Student Room Group

C3 Differentiation

I worked out this question just fine all the way through until the last part, when subbing in the value x = 4, why do they disregard the negative solution of root 9? Would I be wrong in giving the answer +/- 13 instead of just positive 13 for this question? I can't think of any way you would just 'know' to not use -3 as the root of 9.

C3 8B2b question.JPGC3 8B2b solution.JPG

Scroll to see replies

If you had to work it out at the point (4, 36) then there is no need to sub in the other value, but I can't give a proper answer as I don't know what the question is asking you to do. What is the question?

This was a stupid post, I didn't read the question properly.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
91/2=139^{-1/2}=\frac{1}{3} not ±13\pm \frac{1}{3}
Reply 3
Original post by BabyMaths

Since when? I'm really confused now.
Reply 4
Original post by claret_n_blue
If you had to work it out at the point (4, 36) then there is no need to sub in the other value, but I can't give a proper answer as I don't know what the question is asking you to do. What is the question?

The question and a large part of the solution are attached to the original post.
Reply 5
Original post by Ronove
Since when? I'm really confused now.

Can't blame you there. Plenty of teachers seem to think that 4=±2\sqrt{4}=\pm 2. It doesn't.
Reply 6

Since you said this (which shook my understanding to the core by the way :tongue:) I found this page http://gmatclub.com/forum/square-root-always-positive-114114.html which has blown my mind. Thanks for the response, haha!
Reply 7
Can't blame you there. Plenty of teachers seem to think that 4=±2\sqrt{4}=\pm 2. It doesn't.

Well I am my own teacher, haven't had a maths teacher since doing my GCSEs in 2004! I have no idea how I would ever have found this out without you saying it. :tongue:
Original post by Ronove
Well I am my own teacher, haven't had a maths teacher since doing my GCSEs in 2004! I have no idea how I would ever have found this out without you saying it. :tongue:

To clarify if you are asked to solve x2=4x^2=4 you write down x=±2x = \pm 2.

If you are asked to evaluate 4\sqrt 4 then the answer is 22.

Woah! What?
Reply 10
Original post by Mr M
To clarify if you are asked to solve x2=4x^2=4 you write down x=±2x = \pm 2.

If you are asked to evaluate 4\sqrt 4 then the answer is 22.

Thank you! :h:
Woah! What?

What?
Original post by TenOfThem
What?

Why is it just 2?

Or is this just for exams, in real life it still plus or minus 2 isn't it?
Reply 13
Couple of long threads on the maths teachers forum at TES explain why students aren't clear on this.

http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/623065/7840374.aspx#7840374

http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/535448/7132713.aspx#7132713
Why is it just 2?

No

It never has been

-2 squared does still =4

But the square root of 4 is 2
Reply 15
Why is it just 2?

±4=±2\pm \sqrt{4}=\pm 2

4=2 \sqrt{4}= 2
Reply 16
Why is it just 2?

No. The square root of x is defined to be the POSITIVE number y which satisfies y^2=x
Original post by TenOfThem

-2 squared does still =4

But the square root of 4 is 2

Why? How can you not go back the other way?

Original post by james22
No. The square root of x is defined to be the POSITIVE number y which satisfies y^2=x

No, I thought the definition was the number which when multiplied by itself gives your original number. This doesn't matter if its positive or negative as (-y)*(-y) = y * y
No, I thought the definition was the number which when multiplied by itself gives your original number. This doesn't matter if its positive or negative as (-y)*(-y) = y * y

You thought wrong then.

Quick Reply

Latest