Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gap year...where to get the money Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am currently in my last year of A levels and am going on a gap year to africa! BUT I need to raise £6000! Has anyone got any ideas for fundraisers or where I can get grants from etc?

Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Sorry as this is really no help to you at all, but it drives me mad when people do charity fundraisers to pay for their holidays! Far easier said than done, but shouldn't you focus more on getting a job to pay for it instead of "how can I get someone else to pay"?

(And before you try and justify it by saying you'll be "volunteering" etc. - you could do that here. The reason you chose Africa is because it's fun - hence why I see it as a holiday!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    Sorry as this is really no help to you at all, but it drives me mad when people do charity fundraisers to pay for their holidays! Far easier said than done, but shouldn't you focus more on getting a job to pay for it instead of "how can I get someone else to pay"?

(And before you try and justify it by saying you'll be "volunteering" etc. - you could do that here. The reason you chose Africa is because it's fun - hence why I see it as a holiday!)
    I am actually working as a teacher in a school while Im out there so I won't have time to travel. I have done it here and I am now doing it in africa to get a wider perspective. It is all work experience for the university course I am doing.

I wouldn't ever want to use money people had given me for my own sight seeing. I already have a job and work in all my spare time when I'm not studying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elle1995)
    I am actually working as a teacher in a school while Im out there so I won't have time to travel. I have done it here and I am now doing it in africa to get a wider perspective. It is all work experience for the university course I am doing.

I wouldn't ever want to use money people had given me for my own sight seeing. I already have a job and work in all my spare time when I'm not studying.
    Exactly. Work experience for YOU. A wider perspective for YOU. I think Africa would be far more appreciative of someone paying to send over a fully qualified doctor or engineer than an 18 year old teacher with no teaching qualifications.

I don't doubt this would be a great experience for you, but you are fooling yourself if you think it will benefit Africa more than it benefits you.

ReputationRep:
    Must admit I do agree with the above posters to a certain extent. Not that it's not a great thing to do, but still.

If you really want to go raise the money yourself - get an extra job etc. Ask your school as well, my Sixth Form gave around £500 to people travelling on their gap year to cover flights etc when they were doing something like working at a school. A friend of mine doing a similar thing threw a big party and charged around £5 for entry, a few drinks etc. He did throw really good parties so people were willing to pay which helped his fund.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. Work experience for YOU. A wider perspective for YOU. I think Africa would be far more appreciative of someone paying to send over a fully qualified doctor or engineer than an 18 year old teacher with no teaching qualifications.

I don't doubt this would be a great experience for you, but you are fooling yourself if you think it will benefit Africa more than it benefits you.
    That would probably cost a lot more than £6000 though?
    Besides, a person doesn't necessarily need to have qualifications to make a good teacher, particularly if they're teaching something like their own native language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    That would probably cost a lot more than £6000 though?
    I don't see why it would cost any more. Plenty of doctors and engineers volunteer their time - there are charities built around that concept. The obvious one being MSF which is now enormous.

And no, they don't need qualifications, but the point I was getting at is there are plenty of other people that I would pay to send over there before I would contribute to the OP.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why it would cost any more. Plenty of doctors and engineers volunteer their time - there are charities built around that concept. The obvious one being MSF which is now enormous.
    It costs more in the sense of opportunity cost. By sending this qualified doctor over to another country, we don't have them working here. Which means we have to pay someone else to do their job for them in this country, or not get as much work completed as we would have liked (e.g. your NHS waiting queue gets a bit longer).

Whereas if it's an 18 year old student with no teaching qualifications, we probably have no use for them over here as a teacher anyway. Whereas if they taught English in a foreign country, that would actually be somewhat useful to that country. That school would save money on having to employ a qualified English teacher from their own country (again, amounting to approximately/more than £6000), and have more to spend on other resources.

ReputationRep:
    It costs more in the sense of opportunity cost. By sending this qualified doctor over to another country, we don't have them working here. Which means we have to pay someone else to do their job for them in this country, or not get as much work completed as we would have liked (e.g. your NHS waiting queue gets a bit longer).

Whereas if it's an 18 year old student with no teaching qualifications, we probably have no use for them over here as a teacher anyway. Whereas if they taught English in a foreign country, that would actually be somewhat useful to that country. That school would save money on having to employ a qualified English teacher from their own country, and have more to spend on other resources.
    Now you're clutching at straws...

We'd have to pay someone else to do the job, but we wouldn't be paying the original doctor so it would be no different. And I doubt we have a 100% employment rate for doctors.

And if you want to go down this absurd path of "opportunity cost", the doctor could very well vastly increase their experience in trauma management etc. - at no cost to us - and saves the local hospital from having to employ a qualified doctor from that country, letting them spend extra on life saving medication.

ReputationRep:
    Now you're clutching at straws...

We'd have to pay someone else to do the job, but we wouldn't be paying the original doctor so it would be no different. And I doubt we have a 100% employment rate for doctors.

And if you want to go down this absurd path of "opportunity cost", the doctor could very well vastly increase their experience in trauma management etc. - at no cost to us - and saves the local hospital from having to employ a qualified doctor from that country, letting them spend extra on life saving medication.
    The OP wasn't asking for an argument or your opinion. They just wanted ideas.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauraaaaa)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you. I really dont care what your opinion is about it, you wont be giving me the money, but the people that have already said they would love to donate money to what I am doing, to HELP other people are. I am working as much as I can to earn as much as possible and All I was asking people was if they knew of any where I could get grants or fundraising ideas. because quite a lot of people think what im doing is very worth while.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I don't know where to get the money but it may be good to think about what your coming back for? Have you deferred a year for uni so you don't have to worry about your interview or application when your on your gap year?
    My mate defered a year from my course so I know Plymouth Uni can defer but not too sure about others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraharrowsmith)
    Ok, I don't know where to get the money but it may be good to think about what your coming back for? Have you deferred a year for uni so you don't have to worry about your interview or application when your on your gap year?
    My mate defered a year from my course so I know Plymouth Uni can defer but not too sure about others
    Yea I applied for deferred entry and have all my interviews in january for the courses I applied for.

ReputationRep:
    Why does it matter that we're not paying the "original" doctor? That doesn't make it "no different", as you suggest. If one doctor leaves this country to work for free elsewhere, and we replace him in his job with another doctor, then we've had to invest money in training two doctors, and only receive the services of one doctor in return.

We have a shortage of doctors in this country actually.
    (Sure, we don't have a 100% employment rate, but this is for reasons like some doctors leaving to become housewives/househusbands, some doctors leaving the profession looking for a career change, or not currently willing to work as a doctor for some other reason - not because there aren't enough jobs for all of them. There are more jobs than people available to fill them.)

And if you want to go down this absurd path of "opportunity cost", the doctor could very well vastly increase their experience in trauma management etc. - at no cost to us -
    As above - this is not "at no cost to us".

and saves the local hospital from having to employ a qualified doctor from that country, letting them spend extra on life saving medication.
    Of course they could. Obviously a free doctor is worth more to Africa than a free unqualified teacher. The point is that it costs us more overall.

It's like saying "I hate people who give £100 in charity - why give £100 in charity when you can give £1000". Yes, of course the latter is more charitable, but that doesn't mean there's something wrong with doing the former.

Also, how many doctors can you find who are willing to work for free in Africa, compared to students who are willing to the same? It is not the case that for every student wanting to go on a gap year, there is a doctor wanting to volunteer their services who we could send instead.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard of this website called http://www.gofundme.com/. I haven't used it myself, just had a look around, but it seem interesting if you wanna look at that

ReputationRep:
    £6000 pounds?! Jesus, where are you going?!

I am going to India to help out in an Orphange for 2 months and it's costing be £1000 in accom etc and £750 in flights!

I have two jobs to fund this, have you considered doing looking for a job, part time or otherwise?

Also hunt around for better, cheaper alternatives. No matter where you're going, flights shouldn't ever be more than £1750 and accom shouldn't be more than £2000 so max you should be paying is £3750. Have you seen Operation Rally or Projects Abroad?

ReputationRep:
    Try writing to local charitable trusts... Try asking you school or other people you Know who have taken gap years etc. for names. My friend got around £1500 from doing it, and I actually managed to get £500 for a debating trip! Write a nice letter explaining what it is you would be doing, what the money would go towards, and perhaps (if it is a club or something) offer to go and give a talk about it afterwards. Otherwise, maybe try a charity auction ( ask friends, family and maybe local businesses if they have anything ( physical things or experiences etc.) they would donate), or a fundraising party/ ceilidh etc. good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauraaaaa)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I really couldn't care less... It's a public forum and they were more than welcome to just ignore my post should they want to. I'm hardly harassing them...

Why does it matter that we're not paying the "original" doctor? That doesn't make it "no different", as you suggest. If one doctor leaves this country to work for free elsewhere, and we replace him in his job with another doctor, then we've had to invest money in training two doctors, and only receive the services of one doctor in return.

We have a shortage of doctors in this country actually.
    (Sure, we don't have a 100% employment rate, but this is for reasons like some doctors leaving to become housewives/househusbands, some doctors leaving the profession looking for a career change, or not currently willing to work as a doctor for some other reason - not because there aren't enough jobs for all of them. There are more jobs than people available to fill them.)

As above - this is not "at no cost to us".

Of course they could. Obviously a free doctor is worth more to Africa than a free unqualified teacher. The point is that it costs us more overall.

It's like saying "I hate people who give £100 in charity - why give £100 in charity when you can give £1000". Yes, of course the latter is more charitable, but that doesn't mean there's something wrong with doing the former.

Also, how many doctors can you find who are willing to work for free in Africa, compared to students who are willing to the same? It is not the case that for every student wanting to go on a gap year, there is a doctor wanting to volunteer their services who we could send instead.
    For that brief period of time yes. And assuming they were trained here, a huge number aren't.

Since when did I say we didn't? I said the unemployment rate isn't 100% - which you yourself then agreed with in your brackets... And if they are interrupting their period as a housewife/husband or other career to go and do this, then it isn't costing us anything.

Your point may be that it costs us more, my point is it doesn't necessarily cost any more. Historic training costs etc. are just a load of nonsense you are bringing up. They've already been paid, and they will have been paid regardless of them going abroad for a year or not. As they will not get paid for that year, it costs us no more than a doctor retiring a year earlier than they could physically manage or not working for a year for any other reason would.

Yet more rubbish, it's not remotely "like" saying I hate people who give £100 to charity... If you want to draw a comparison to something, then it's like saying "I hate people who give £100 to donkey sanctuaries when they could give £100 to stop children dying". And of course there are more students wanting to be paid to go to Africa than doctors, but so what. Charity isn't limited to shipping people off abroad - if MSF couldn't find a single doctor on the planet willing to go to Africa then they could use the money to train someone out there.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Sponsorship and fundraising concerts. If people know that the money is going to a good cause, they will pay up well. See if you can get someone interested in the arts to help you organise a fundraising concert. You pay very little for things and people will pay out a fair amount for tickets or cakes you make for the interval.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elle1995)
    Hello,

I am currently in my last year of A levels and am going on a gap year to africa! BUT I need to raise £6000! Has anyone got any ideas for fundraisers or where I can get grants from etc?

Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks
    Are you going away for the whole year or some? You could raise most of it by working and not spending, assuming that you're still living at home.

A book called The Directory of Grant Making Trusts is published by the Directory of Social Change. It should be available in your local library as a reference copy. You should find trusts that support teaching, broadening experiences or specific people from a geographical area. Have a look through with a pen and paper, and note down any that might fund you. A lot refuse to support gap years so you'll have to dig. Bear in mind that they might only meet once or twice a year to dish out the money, so do it in advance.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.