Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gap year...where to get the money Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    I've heard of this website called http://www.gofundme.com/. I haven't used it myself, just had a look around, but it seem interesting if you wanna look at that
    Thanks I will have a look at that.

(Original post by linney)
    £6000 pounds?! Jesus, where are you going?!

I am going to India to help out in an Orphange for 2 months and it's costing be £1000 in accom etc and £750 in flights!

I have two jobs to fund this, have you considered doing looking for a job, part time or otherwise?

Also hunt around for better, cheaper alternatives. No matter where you're going, flights shouldn't ever be more than £1750 and accom shouldn't be more than £2000 so max you should be paying is £3750. Have you seen Operation Rally or Projects Abroad?
    I am going to Tanzania for a year so this goes to food, accomodation and transport to and from there but also travel while I am there. I do have a job and dont have the time to get another one as I already work most days and I still have to fit in studies. I cant believe how cheap you have got it.

(Original post by bellatrixb)
    Try writing to local charitable trusts... Try asking you school or other people you Know who have taken gap years etc. for names. My friend got around £1500 from doing it, and I actually managed to get £500 for a debating trip! Write a nice letter explaining what it is you would be doing, what the money would go towards, and perhaps (if it is a club or something) offer to go and give a talk about it afterwards. Otherwise, maybe try a charity auction ( ask friends, family and maybe local businesses if they have anything ( physical things or experiences etc.) they would donate), or a fundraising party/ ceilidh etc. good luck!
    Thanks thats really helpful, I have already sent a letter out to a couple of trusts. So just waiting for replies

(Original post by Mattheatre)
    Sponsorship and fundraising concerts. If people know that the money is going to a good cause, they will pay up well. See if you can get someone interested in the arts to help you organise a fundraising concert. You pay very little for things and people will pay out a fair amount for tickets or cakes you make for the interval.
    Thanks I hadnt thought of doing a concert, my friend is grade 8 in three instuments and is in loads of choirs so that would work really well.

Thank you to everyone that is giving me helpful ideas and backing me up, rather than criticising what I am doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    For that brief period of time yes. And assuming they were trained here, a huge number aren't.
    In that case, I wish you luck in trying to find enough doctors who have been trained elsewhere, come to work in this country, and now want to go and volunteer their services for free in Africa, to surpass the number of gap year students who want to work for free in Africa.

Since when did I say we didn't? I said the unemployment rate isn't 100% - which you yourself then agreed with in your brackets... And if they are interrupting their period as a housewife/husband or other career to go and do this, then it isn't costing us anything.
    Because the relevant factor is the number of people willing and able to work as doctors, not the number of people merely able to do so. A person who is a qualified doctor but refuses to work as one because they would rather be a housewife is, as far as we are concerned, not a doctor, because we get no utility out of them as such. The only way in which you would have a point is if we had doctors who were able and willing to work, but we were unable to make use of them here - which is not the case (but is the case for students wanting to teach English).

If you can find a doctor willing to interrupt their period as a housewife or whatever to work in Africa (but not the UK), then again, you have a point. It is better to send them rather than the student. But again, it's not like any of these doctors are unable to go to Africa because students are using up all the money available for them to do so.

Your point may be that it costs us more, my point is it doesn't necessarily cost any more. Historic training costs etc. are just a load of nonsense you are bringing up. They've already been paid, and they will have been paid regardless of them going abroad for a year or not.
    Sure, the historical cost has already been paid, but we're not getting the utility out of them, Africa is. Which means the fact that they are working for Africa instead of us represents an additional cost to us - we have paid for a service in advance, but when the time comes for us to receive that service, someone else gets it instead.

This means that on an ongoing basis, we have to pay to train more doctors than we would have needed to if we didn't send any doctors to Africa (a monetary cost), or we have to make do with fewer working doctors than we could have had in this country, if we didn't send any doctors to Africa (an opportunity cost), depending on which side you look at it from.

As they will not get paid for that year, it costs us no more than a doctor retiring a year earlier than they could physically manage or not working for a year for any other reason would.
    Just because it costs us "no more than...[something else]" doesn't change the fact that it's still an additional cost - one which we would not have incurred had we not sent the doctor. It may cost us no more than a doctor retiring, but it does cost us more than sending a student to Africa, and that is the relevant comparison here.

Yet more rubbish, it's not remotely "like" saying I hate people who give £100 to charity... If you want to draw a comparison to something, then it's like saying "I hate people who give £100 to donkey sanctuaries when they could give £100 to stop children dying".
    This analogy doesn't apply. If there were a choice between sending a student for a total cost of £6000 and sending a doctor for a total cost of £6000, then you would have a point - it is better to send the doctor, and therefore we shouldn't send the student.

But firstly - the choice isn't between "doctor or student", the choice is between "student or no student".

If a student asks for £6000 to go to Africa, and you refuse because you're waiting for a doctor to come along and ask for the same £6000 for the same purpose, chances are that this doctor isn't ever going to come along, and Africa is going to end up getting neither the student nor the doctor.

The fact there are so many more students wanting this opportunity than doctors means that it is not true that, by sending a student, you are preventing a doctor from going instead. Whereas by giving £100 to a donkey sanctuary, it is true that you are preventing a children's aid charity from having that money instead, because children's aid charities have a higher total monetary requirement than donkey sanctuaries. Only once children's aid charities have received so much money that they no longer need any more, should money be spent on donkey sanctuaries.

And secondly, as I said, the total cost of sending a doctor is much greater than the total cost of £6000 for sending a student. And everybody has a limit on the amount that they want to give out in charity. Just because you don't want to spend significant sums on sending out a doctor doesn't mean there's something wrong with spending less to send out a student.

And of course there are more students wanting to be paid to go to Africa than doctors, but so what. Charity isn't limited to shipping people off abroad - if MSF couldn't find a single doctor on the planet willing to go to Africa then they could use the money to train someone out there.
    Again, costing more than having a student teacher over there for a year.

EDIT: Thanks for the neg by the way. The standard "I've run out of things to say but don't want to admit it" argument :rolleyes:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elle1995)
    Thank you to everyone that is giving me helpful ideas and backing me up, rather than criticising what I am doing.
    I don't think anyone's actually critised you here. It's more the fact that you're asking how do I get funding for my gap year? That's something I think you should have to fund yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    I don't think anyone's actually critised you here. It's more the fact that you're asking how do I get funding for my gap year? That's something I think you should have to fund yourself.
    Yes but to raise the funds, I need fundraising ideas such as cake sales etc, thats all I was asking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elle1995)
    Yes but to raise the funds, I need fundraising ideas such as cake sales etc, thats all I was asking.
    I bet you regret this thread hahah

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauraaaaa)
    I bet you regret this thread hahah

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Completely! I was only looking for some ideas.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.