Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi,

So on New Years Eve, we all got very very very drunk and I can't really remember much. But I was walking back with a friend and his brother - me and the friend's brother had an arguement because he thinks I string his brother along and use him. I walked off, and my friend followed. He admitted then that he loves me, and always has just never realised it.

Now... I have no idea what my reply was here. I've been with my boyfriend for 3 years, and I think I said something like I wasn't 100% happy with him and that I always knew he loved me. Now - that isn't strictly true. I AM 100% happy with my boyfriend, I think I just said this to make my friend feel not too bad.

I'm facing a dilemma now. I don't want to talk to my friend about this. What has been said cannot be unsaid. I think I should cut the friend out of my life. Not for my sake, but for his. His brother was right - if I keep talking to him, I'm stringing him along thinking one day we could be together, when no, we can't. I don't love my friend.

What would you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,

So on New Years Eve, we all got very very very drunk and I can't really remember much. But I was walking back with a friend and his brother - me and the friend's brother had an arguement because he thinks I string his brother along and use him. I walked off, and my friend followed. He admitted then that he loves me, and always has just never realised it.

Now... I have no idea what my reply was here. I've been with my boyfriend for 3 years, and I think I said something like I wasn't 100% happy with him and that I always knew he loved me. Now - that isn't strictly true. I AM 100% happy with my boyfriend, I think I just said this to make my friend feel not too bad.

I'm facing a dilemma now. I don't want to talk to my friend about this. What has been said cannot be unsaid. I think I should cut the friend out of my life. Not for my sake, but for his. His brother was right - if I keep talking to him, I'm stringing him along thinking one day we could be together, when no, we can't. I don't love my friend.

What would you do?
    tell the friend you only see him as a friend in the clearest way possible. don't cut him out uncessarily unless he still tries to flirt with you.

ReputationRep:
    As above. Why lose a friendship over an infatuation? Just make it clear you only see him as a friend and see how he takes it. It'll be hard for him but it's for the best.

ReputationRep:
    one way trip to the friendzone for that poor b******d

Spoiler:
    Show
    a moment of silence for our fallen brother

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    As above. Why lose a friendship over an infatuation? Just make it clear you only see him as a friend and see how he takes it. It'll be hard for him but it's for the best.
    Lol no. Cut him loose completely.

ReputationRep:
    Be honest about how you feel and let him make the choice about staying friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aisha~~)
    Lol no. Cut him loose completely.
    This. It's no good for either of you to continue the friendship.

If this helps... we don't see each other on a regular occasion. We live in different cities, but went to the same college - now we only see each other on reunions. It makes it a whole lot easier to cut him out... which I think I am going to do. It's not fair if he thinks I'm stringing him along, and its not fair on my boyfriend either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boner in jeans)
    one way trip to the friendzone for that poor b******d

Spoiler:
    Show
    a moment of silence for our fallen brother
    No he's the douche for saying that knowing she's happy with her BF

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2ndClass)
    No he's the douche for saying that knowing she's happy with her BF
    oohh, i didn't read the full post

well

OP it's your fault for even letting him think there was a chance in the first place instead of being completely blunt with him

just cut him out of your life, you've probably caused him a lot of heart ache already

(Original post by boner in jeans)
    oohh, i didn't read the full post

well

OP it's your fault for even letting him think there was a chance in the first place instead of being completely blunt with him

just cut him out of your life, you've probably caused him a lot of heart ache already
    This is what I'm trying to do... but he keeps ringing and texting me. He text me last saying something like "not talking about this won't make it go away, it will just make it worse". I have just ignored him. Do I owe him an explanation? My reasoning for not telling him is that he doesn't know that the best thing to do is to not have any contact... he will cling to hope if I keep talking to him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This is what I'm trying to do... but he keeps ringing and texting me. He text me last saying something like "not talking about this won't make it go away, it will just make it worse". I have just ignored him. Do I owe him an explanation? My reasoning for not telling him is that he doesn't know that the best thing to do is to not have any contact... he will cling to hope if I keep talking to him.
    be completely blunt about your reasoning, make it crsytal clear that he never had a chance, he probably has some weird love fantasy you'll end up together

after being blunt with him, say it's his decision whether you still want to be friends or not

i don't understand what this culture in the UK is of lying and deception and not being honest the UK is the country where it's so prominent

i blame hollywood and romcom

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 3, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.