Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey TSR

I'm currently a student studying abroad in Canada. In Grade 12, I hope to do some APs, and just Grade 12 courses. What would be the UK equivalent of Grade 12 and AP courses? Do you think that me graduating from a Canadian prep school would benefit or be detrimental to my applications?

Thanks in advance x

ReputationRep:
    I am not familiar with the Canadian grading system but I would say that if prep school is the last school you would go to before university being your next educational establishment I don't see it as being detrimental, provided you meet the requirements set by your chosen universities for your course you should have just as much chance as all the international applicants.

Have you decided what you would like to study at university? Also have you looked on the UCAS website? That is where the majority of applications are sent through, it is also very informative. Give it a go www.ucas.ac.uk

ReputationRep:
    The Canadian system is 4 years of high school, so Grade 9 - 12. The school I'm at is a prep school, however, it is known for being more sport-oriented rather then academically rigorous.

Yes I have! I plan to major in IR or Economics, or Chemistry. Thanks so much for your reply.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on the province because in Canada there are different standards for each province. I'm from Ontario and I am applying for 2013 entry.

For the universities I hope to get into, they expect at least five Ontario 4U level courses (Grade 12 - University preparatory courses), and a sixth course at the 4U or 4M level (Grade 12 - University/College Mixed courses). The universities I'm applying to expect an average of 90% in 4U courses, although the average for other institutions is usually 85%. The type of school you graduate from is irrelevant. They just want to see the 4U level grades if you're from Ontario, or if you're from another province, whatever their university preparatory equivalent is. The UK equivalent to this is A levels.

However, since you're studying abroad in Canada the requirements might be different. They may want to see results from your own country, but I'm not certain. You'd have to call them and ask to be sure.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Jco19,

I currently attend a prep school near Toronto, Ontario. If you don't mind me asking, are you currently attending a public or private school? And in your opinion would attending a private school be potentially detrimental to my application? I had heard many things, and am not quite sure. Supposedly because private schools do offer more opportunities to their students, Admission Officers would be hard pressed to accept a privately educated student who did not take advantage of these opportunities as opposed to a publicly educated student who had about the same volunteer/sporty/extra-cocurriculars as the privately educated student.

Would you say that this was true? I think so, but having another's opinion would be great.

Just to reiterate (and make sure that I understood correctly) a 4U course would be the equivalent of an A level course? Do you know anything about APs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rubyliii)
    Hey Jco19,

I currently attend a prep school near Toronto, Ontario. If you don't mind me asking, are you currently attending a public or private school?
    Hi Ruby

I graduated from a public high school.

And in your opinion would attending a private school be potentially detrimental to my application? I had heard many things, and am not quite sure. Supposedly because private schools do offer more opportunities to their students, Admission Officers would be hard pressed to accept a privately educated student who did not take advantage of these opportunities as opposed to a publicly educated student who had about the same volunteer/sporty/extra-cocurriculars as the privately educated student. Would you say that this was true? I think so, but having another's opinion would be great.
    I think you might be referring to a domestic issue in the UK, where there is a lot of controversy associated with UK private schools and Cambridge/Oxford. As an international applicant, this does not concern you so don't worry about it.

All they want to see in the UK is that you've taken those 4U courses, and presumably achieved 85% - 90% + in each course, and they don't care which school they come from. They just want to see the results so they can determine if you meet the entry requirements for their school.

Just to reiterate (and make sure that I understood correctly) a 4U course would be the equivalent of an A level course? Do you know anything about APs?
    It is the equivalent in terms of university preparation studies, yes, but do not attempt to compare them. The North American high school system is very different to what they do in the UK so the grading schemes are not interchangeable. Don't worry about A levels. That is only of concern for people in the UK.

So for example, if you're filling out your grades on your UCAS Application, do not attempt to write in A levels. Simply put in your 4U course code (e.g. CGW4U - Canadian and World Issues) and then put in your percentage grade, e.g. 90%

AP courses are only offered at private schools. If you're currently taking AP courses, then you can also use them in your UCAS application.

Out of curiosity, where are you originally from?

ReputationRep:
    I think you might be referring to a domestic issue in the UK, where there is a lot of controversy associated with UK private schools and Cambridge/Oxford. As an international applicant, this does not concern you so don't worry about it.

All they want to see in the UK is that you've taken those 4U courses, and presumably achieved 85% - 90% + in each course, and they don't care which school they come from. They just want to see the results so they can determine if you meet the entry requirements for their school.
    Oh thank god, that was quite a big worry for me. I've been hearing about this from Ivy League representatives, who had told me about that. I guess it refers to the UK controversy, but it could refer to Canadian also. I guess it's best to just make the best out of what I have?

And thanks so much for clearing that up..

Out of curiosity, where are you originally from?
    China.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.