Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have two offers right now:
    Psychology with Neuroscience Bsc at Sussex
    and
    Neuroscience with Psychology MSci at Aberdeen

I cannot decide which foundation would be better for me to have. Eventually, I'd like to do abnormal/experimental psychological research at a university or other facility, and maybe eventually become a professor. I understand that this will eventually lead me to further master's and doctorate degrees, but I want to know which would have a better foundation.
    I know Sussex has a remarkable reputation for psychology, but I don't ever plan on becoming a clinical psychologist, therapist, social worker, etc. Because my career aspirations are science and neurotech based, I was wondering if the neuroscience background would be better.

There's also the bit that I'm from America, and I don't know if things in the UK are done differently (but I don't plan on leaving the UK once I am there, though I may move around a bit depending on where I go to school).

I don't know, any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Doing a psychology degree doesn't necessarily prepare you for "clinical psychologist, therapist, social worker, etc". However, if you did want to do educational/occupational/clinical/forensic psychology then you need a BPS accredited degree (some mixed psychology degrees are accredited).

It really depends what area of research you would like to do all in all. You don't learn any methods in molecular biology or neuroscience in psychology- so if you were interested in genetics, hormones and that, then you would better prepared by doing neuroscience with psychology. The aberdeen one is NOT a masters, even though it is four years (all scottish degrees are 4 years long). Looking at the aberdeen course structure you really don't study much in the way of psychology (and it mostly focuses on some areas of cognitive psychology).

Either way, I think if you did do the psychology with neuroscience degree you could then do a masters in neuroscience which could put you in good stead for research if you wanted to do that.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the input. I still am not entirely sure though. The Aberdeen program is five years, at least the one I have an offer to is, but I was offered point 2 entry. I don't really know what the degree titles mean, but I know I want both a master's and phd.
    I think what's great about the Aberdeen program is the year of work-study experience, but of course, Sussex has that definite psych reputation.

I feel like the converse of what you suggested would actually be easier. I am admittedly pretty good with psychology; it comes really easy to me, and everything sticks well in my head. So I always figured that if I did an undergraduate degree in neuroscience, then went to master in psychology, it would be a lot easier than if I tried to go from psychology to neuroscience.

I wonder if it's worth mentioning that I already have an Associate's degree focusing in psychology from America, so I wonder if university might be too easy if I focused more on psychology. I hate repetitive "learning" =(

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.