Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are there any simulators for learning to drive? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure most of you are aware of flight simulators etc for the PC but I've never seen a proper driving simulator for learning to drive a car. Do any exist or were they so rubbish they've been relegated to the bargain bin?

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a clue, never heard of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Gran Turismo?
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.R)
    Gran Turismo?
    For learning to drive, Gran Turismo, lol no way.

ReputationRep:
    Don't BSM have some sort of stimulators? not sure though, you might want to google it

ReputationRep:
    City driving on pc is pretty decent if own a Logitech g27

💷Certified 💷

ReputationRep:
    That looks along the lines of what I'm talking about now if only it was tailored for the UKs driving system and let you know when you made mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    GTA, it has pedestrians, lights, traffic and drive-bys. Just like the real world.

ReputationRep:
    euro tuck simulator, woodcutter simulator, farming simulator, and forklift simulator.

in all seriousness no simulator can replace real practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MutantGecko)
    in all seriousness no simulator can replace real practice.
    This.

You won't get very far on a simulator, it's much more different to the real thing. Just get in a car and practice in a quite area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    This.

You won't get very far on a simulator, it's much more different to the real thing. Just get in a car and practice in a quite area.
    Try and get insured if possible, if not stick to car parks and when you see the five-0 then you better switch seats FAST.

💷Certified 💷

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coffinman)
    I'm sure most of you are aware of flight simulators etc for the PC but I've never seen a proper driving simulator for learning to drive a car. Do any exist or were they so rubbish they've been relegated to the bargain bin?
    GTA worked for Peter Griffin

ReputationRep:
    BSM have/had driving simulators, I remember I had a few sessions in them before I actually started to learn. This was about 9-10 years ago though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MutantGecko)
    euro tuck simulator, woodcutter simulator, farming simulator, and forklift simulator. in all seriousness no simulator can replace real practice.
    Why do pilots have them then?

ReputationRep:
    is that a serious question?

its a lot more difficult to practice flying a plane than it is to learn to drive...

ReputationRep:
    Flying simulators are much like the real thing. Sitting at your TV with a steering wheel and pedals lets you drive, but you don't actually move. Flying simulators do move- if the pilot banks right, the simulator banks right and the pilot 'feels' the movement.

Plus they can practice for emergencies in a simulator that aren't possible to create in real life- like a bird strike during take off. You can't throw some birds at a plane during it taking off to try and simulate a bird strike, and then what happens if the pilot gets it wrong.

To show how advance the simulators are, the pilots for the new B787 are trained to fly it only using a simulator. They only have zero, one or two goes in a real 787 before taking passengers.

ReputationRep:
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=learn+to+drive+simulator

ReputationRep:
    There are some racing simulators (e.g. Live for Speed) which do a pretty good job of simulating vehicle handling characteristics, but you'd need to get a decent wheel to really get a proper feel for it. Your money would probably be far better spent on some driving lessons instead..

Unfortunately there's not really any publicly available software out there that combines realistic vehicle dynamics with a realistic road environment - you kinda have to opt for one or the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    Flying simulators are much like the real thing. Sitting at your TV with a steering wheel and pedals lets you drive, but you don't actually move. Flying simulators do move- if the pilot banks right, the simulator banks right and the pilot 'feels' the movement.

Plus they can practice for emergencies in a simulator that aren't possible to create in real life- like a bird strike during take off. You can't throw some birds at a plane during it taking off to try and simulate a bird strike, and then what happens if the pilot gets it wrong.

To show how advance the simulators are, the pilots for the new B787 are trained to fly it only using a simulator. They only have zero, one or two goes in a real 787 before taking passengers.
    This is correct. I got type rated after doing only 3x 2 hour flights and doing the rest in the Simulator. The other reason Pilots have simulators is because of the number of systems on board the aircraft which require practice to operate effectively. The same cannot be said for a car!

It has to be said, however, that simulators are rubbish for anything requiring dexterity or finesse. I would suggest that because of the hands on nature of driving that any decent simulator would be far too expensive to develop and run for learner drivers.

ReputationRep:
    I've used bsm driving simulator but that was a couple years ago

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.