Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Investing in the stock market - virtual Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently participating in an online simulation of the stock market, aiming to increase my overall total portfolio value to the highest possible.

Some stocks I have invested in have increased in share price/have paid dividends, so at the moment I would make a profit from them if they were sold now. This may change and I would make a loss if I sold them tomorrow.

My question is, when a stock reaches the point where you would gain a profit from selling those shares, are you supposed to sell it to gain that profit? Apart from obviously adding to my available virtual cash, does that have any effect on total portfolio value?

I thought that if profitable shares were sold I'm only left with loss-making ones thus the value of my portfolio would decrease.

Please help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ketchup!)
    I am currently participating in an online simulation of the stock market, aiming to increase my overall total portfolio value to the highest possible.

Some stocks I have invested in have increased in share price/have paid dividends, so at the moment I would make a profit from them if they were sold now. This may change and I would make a loss if I sold them tomorrow.

My question is, when a stock reaches the point where you would gain a profit from selling those shares, are you supposed to sell it to gain that profit? Apart from obviously adding to my available virtual cash, does that have any effect on total portfolio value?

I thought that if profitable shares were sold I'm only left with loss-making ones thus the value of my portfolio would decrease.

Please help
    It depends on whether you include your cash holdings in your portfolio. Obviously if you don't, then the value of your portfolio will decrease as you are selling some shares, but if cash is included in your total portfolio value then there shouldn't be a material change. There may be some transaction costs but these will be relatively minor.

The decision to liquidate a position shouldn't really be made based on how much profit/loss you have made so far, but on how much you expect to make in the future. However, you may want to lock the gains in ("realise" the gains) by selling the profitable shares, if you have doubts about their future profitability or if you want to invest in different shares.

Same goes with ones that have lost you money. If you think the price won't recover, it would be best to realise your losses now and move the money to somewhere else which will make you money. It may be "bad" to realise losses, but it's far worse to continually increase your unrealised losses because one day those shares will have to be sold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ketchup!)

Please help
    Well you would know when to sell if you done your research ? are you on investopedia btw ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegaffer91)
    It depends on whether you include your cash holdings in your portfolio. Obviously if you don't, then the value of your portfolio will decrease as you are selling some shares, but if cash is included in your total portfolio value then there shouldn't be a material change. There may be some transaction costs but these will be relatively minor.

The decision to liquidate a position shouldn't really be made based on how much profit/loss you have made so far, but on how much you expect to make in the future. However, you may want to lock the gains in ("realise" the gains) by selling the profitable shares, if you have doubts about their future profitability or if you want to invest in different shares.

Same goes with ones that have lost you money. If you think the price won't recover, it would be best to realise your losses now and move the money to somewhere else which will make you money. It may be "bad" to realise losses, but it's far worse to continually increase your unrealised losses because one day those shares will have to be sold.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    When you buy a share of stock , you are taking a share of ownership in a company . collectively the company is owned by all the shareholders and each share represents a claim on assets and earnings.

Best Regard
    Vishal Chadha
    Tips.Biz

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.