Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have my Business Studies AS level unit 1 examination on the 9th of January and I need to figure out how to properly structure the longer answers in the examination paper, particularly the 13 and 15 mark questions; as this is the area which I am mostly struggling in and is why I only achieved Ds in my preparation exams. I also need to know how to evaluate an answer properly. As an example, the question that I need most assistance with are essay questions such as these;

PS: My business studies admin tutor says that I also have trouble applying my knowledge to the question. However I'm not 100% sure what this means and would appreciate any further help.

ReputationRep:
    ok so what you do is for 2a you do definition for the info do your 2 points analyse etc.

for the 2b and 2c you do definition a point 2 points for but for each of those point at the end do a little contradiction to show that your analyzing to a high standard and that gets you top end analysing marks because your taking into consideration all aspects and after the 2 paragraph do your conclusion and makesure to always right it depends on or however to show what the business must do for its success after you have mentioned which course of action the business should take.

For example anya was right to choose a venture capatalist as it will give her instant finance to start up her business and pay for costs etc without giving additional cost. However she will have to face the consequence of giving some of her business and in doing so lowers the level of potential profit she could make in the future.

So you make a decision but you talk about the consequences that she will have to deal with

ReputationRep:
    We got told (by an examiner) to use chunky paragraphs. That's your point. 2 analysis words (because, as a consequence ect). And then for the 15 markers add evaluation words(in my opinion, in th short term... However n the long term

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When you're doing your 13/15 mark questions remember the acronym, KAAE, which basically means:

Knowledge
    Applications
    Analysis
    Evaluation

With KNOWLEDGE make sure you pick up on key works and define it, for eg in your question the keywords would be, business plan, venture capital and bank loan.

For APPLICATION you should apply the knowledge into the case study/questions. For eg A business plan would be a major factor in the running of Anyas business as it will help her structure and organise her business however it may not be soley due to that.

The ANALYSE what you have said in your APPLICATION, by breaking it further down.

And then EVALUATE by giving the advantages and disadvantages, other factors and perhaps your conclusion to the question.

Please feel free to add to my comment and also if I have made a mistake in what I've said please correct.

I hope this is helpful to you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.