Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can't move touchpad cursor while typing Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have a Samsung laptop (the model is NP350V5C) and I can't move the mouse cursor using the touchpad while I'm holding down a key on the keyboard. This makes playing some games impossible.

I can't find an option to change this in either the regular Windows 7 mouse control panel page, or the Synaptics touch pad settings.

I've heard it could be something to do with palm detection, but I can't find any relevant settings for that either.

Anyone have any ideas how I can change these settings?

I don't want to use a mouse because that makes it awkward to use while sitting on the sofa.

ReputationRep:
    not sure about the settings, but try getting a mouse (wireless or wired) as that will solve the problem and let you play games and tbh a mouse i a lot better for games than a touchpad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J1994D)
    not sure about the settings, but try getting a mouse (wireless or wired) as that will solve the problem and let you play games and tbh a mouse i a lot better for games than a touchpad
    I don't want to use a mouse because that makes it awkward to use while sitting on the sofa. There is no where to physically put the mouse.

I'm not using it as a proper games machine, I just want to pass the time on some games, but right now it's simply not possible to play most games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I have a Samsung laptop (the model is NP350V5C) and I can't move the mouse cursor using the touchpad while I'm holding down a key on the keyboard. This makes playing some games impossible.

I can't find an option to change this in either the regular Windows 7 mouse control panel page, or the Synaptics touch pad settings.

I've heard it could be something to do with palm detection, but I can't find any relevant settings for that either.

I don't want to use a mouse because that makes it awkward to use while sitting on the sofa.
    That sounds like an issue, suggest looking up your laptop on the samsung site and downloading the latest driver for the touchpad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    That sounds like an issue, suggest looking up your laptop on the samsung site and downloading the latest driver for the touchpad
    I've already tried that, I think I was already on the latest version. From looking around on the Internet, it seems some laptops with Synaptics touchpads do have a setting for this. But there's just no relevant options on mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I've already tried that, I think I was already on the latest version. From looking around on the Internet, it seems some laptops with Synaptics touchpads do have a setting for this. But there's just no relevant options on mine.
    Try searching for a program or some sort of settings for the touchpad...........as it seems very unusual that you can't be able to do both
    Maybe revert to a earlier driver and try that.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9markiii)
    That's exactly the process I followed

And also I'm not a "not computer" person.

ReputationRep:
    look for newer touchpad drivers? (I think many samsung touchpads are from a company called synaptics). Another thing you could try is to uninstall whatever touchpad driver samsung installed on your machine. After restarting you'll have the default windows drivers (meaning you'll lose multitouch gestures) but that might be a good compromise in your case.

ReputationRep:
    and obviously, the first thing you should be doing is to type 'your-device-id touchpad not working when holding a key' into google

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warfarin)
    and obviously, the first thing you should be doing is to type 'your-device-id touchpad not working when holding a key' into google
    See the diagram above. I'm on the "Ask someone for help or give up." step. I've done all the rest, unless there is some very specific combination of words that gives me the answer on google.

ReputationRep:
    Sorted it. My mistake was installing the touchpad drivers from the Samsung website, not the Synaptics website. The Synaptics one has an option to turn it off.

That's what I get for not ignoring warnings. The Synaptics driver download page says you should download the drivers from the laptop manufacturer instead. The correct action was to ignore that warning and do it anyway.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 3, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.