Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,
    I was hoping someone might be able to help me out here. Having done a vac scheme at a Big 4 Accountancy firm in 2011, I was lucky enough to be offered a graduate position for September 2013. I 'accepted' this through the online employment system of the firm, but never signed a contract or, indeed, anything. I have now changed my mind about my future career and I am looking to reject this offer. What would be the best way of going about this? I am certain I should send a letter to graduate recruitment, but should I precede this with a phone call about my intention? I'm not sure if there is a certain protocol for these situations, and I am keen to treat the firm with respect as I had a great time there, but have just decided that a different career is for me.
    Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    I'd open up with an email if it was me, just to keep it on the record. They won't kick up a fuss.

ReputationRep:
    Email them rejecting it and ask for an email back of confirmation that they received it. If within, say, 3/4 days they haven't responded, follow it up with a call If you haven't signed anything, it should be pretty simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Wild Youth)
    Email them rejecting it and ask for an email back of confirmation that they received it. If within, say, 3/4 days they haven't responded, follow it up with a call If you haven't signed anything, it should be pretty simple.
    I imagine accepting it along with all the terms and conditions through the online facility is much the same as signing. They won't make a fuss over it as they frankly won't particularly care, plenty of applicants!

OP - you have secured something else right? Would be foolish to throw this away before actually having another preferred offer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    I imagine accepting it along with all the terms and conditions through the online facility is much the same as signing. They won't make a fuss over it as they frankly won't particularly care, plenty of applicants!
    Ahh, just basing it off my own experiences and what advice my dad who deals with contracts has given me. And accepting a job is not the 'much the same as signing' - it's an obligation not a contract.

Even when I had signed a contract, I've quit a job via email (although it was for a company with a sky high turn over rate and they had weekly new recruitment's!)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Much appreciated.
    Will fire them an email and see what happens.
    Having spoken to people I know who started at the firm in September 2012, they don't actually make you sign a contract until 4 weeks or so before your start date?

M1011: Yep, have got a training contract for a city law firm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yayornay)
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Much appreciated.
    Will fire them an email and see what happens.
    Having spoken to people I know who started at the firm in September 2012, they don't actually make you sign a contract until 4 weeks or so before your start date?

M1011: Yep, have got a training contract for a city law firm.
    Yeah that sounds about right. They send out all the documents and run final checks nearer the time you would be due to start. No point doing it when they gave you the offer when start date was 9 months or so away.

Congrats on the training contract.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.