Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anybody else not like homecooking? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This seems to be a bit weird but I really don't like home cooking. I don't enjoy cooking so I don't get that enjoyment and sense of achievement when I have made my own food, I don't like to know where my food has come from and no matter what it is or who has made it it, it never ever seems to be as nice as what I could buy or something my dad would have made. The only home cooking I ever really liked was my dads and having been brought up on my dads excellent cooking nothing ever seems to measure up.

I have been doing slimming world for year now and because almost everything has to be made from scratch it's taken all the enjoyment out of food when according to my consultant and all of my group its supposed to do the opposite.

Its got to the point where at times i would rather not eat, but that's not how the plan works and for it to work I need to be eating more than half a plate of the meals that my boyfriend lovingly prepares and I just can't like, even if its something i used to love, the only thing I find myself manage to finish is spaghetti bolognaise or home-made chips.

Does anybody else not like home-cooked food and how do you manage to eat properly without going out and spending loads of money on meals especially if you struggle with your weight?

ReputationRep:
    I can see where you're coming from.

I quite enjoy cooking, but I don't have to do it everyday, if i had to do it like you do, then it would become more of a chore.

Also, there are a few things that I just can't get to taste very nice when i cook them, so prefer a take away or ready meal version. Examples include; sweet and sour sauce, biscuits, custard, coleslaw and maybe most strangely, the majority of sandwiches.

ReputationRep:
    I hate it too. I much prefer eating out where the food tasted good. I like food made by my mum, but restaurant food always tastes so much better. I do cook for myself as obviously I can't eat out, but I hate cooking no matter how many cookbooks and nice utensils I buy.

ReputationRep:
    Well...I hate bad home-cooking, lol. There are some things I very rarely do at home because it's never as nice as a good restaurant - steak is definitely one of those, can't beat a good restaurant steak! However, there are also some things I never order at restaurants because my own recipe is just as good (or better lol) - chilli and bolognese are the main ones.

ReputationRep:
    It is much more economical and rewarding,plus food is the bodies nourishment. Don't you care what's going into your body?

I'm only replying to post a pic of what I cooked today.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I really enjoy cooking and knowing what's going into my food. I care about my health and cooking at home means you can control exactly what you put in. Of course take out often tastes better, because it's loaded with sugar and salt and MSG but I find the satisfaction I get when I spend ages making a meal and then having it taste pretty good is definitely worth it. Maybe you're cooking the wrong things? When I started at uni I couldn't cook so I found it frustrating but after a few years practice and cooking things I enjoy eating most (cookies, muffins) I got better and now when I cook anything I enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    I dont because of the washing up. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Personally I LOVE cooking, although I usually do more gourmet dishes, which as a vegetarian is always interesting. I think I wouldn't like cooking much at all if I didn't spend a good few hours with it and didn't get a great result at the end - pretty sure doing pie and mash or such like would be pretty boring and annoying.

ReputationRep:
    It depends who is cooking but generally I prefer to go out, order in or get take out. Growing up I hated the food my parents prepared and now I don't enjoy cooking. And OP you are right that food tastes better when you don't make it yourself.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I do like it, when I can be bothered to spend the time and effort.
    I really like knowing exactly what's gone into it and the fact that I did it. It's not just a load of raw ingredients put together, it's actually a meal that I've crafted. And when I do things properly they tend to be really nice too, I like letting other people try it and showing other people how to do it.

I need to try more things. Although I make really good casseroles and scrambed egg I want to try more adventurous things like curries and some things I've had in restaurants. Also I'd like to learn how to make dauphinoise potatoes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate.)
    Well...I hate bad home-cooking, lol. There are some things I very rarely do at home because it's never as nice as a good restaurant - steak is definitely one of those, can't beat a good restaurant steak! However, there are also some things I never order at restaurants because my own recipe is just as good (or better lol) - chilli and bolognese are the main ones.
    I have to disagree with this completely.

If you go to a decent butcher the quality of the beef will be superior to that found in your average restaurant. Also consider the chef may not actually be any good.

ReputationRep:
    It's a chore, especially if you cook for one person. Cooking for more is automatically more efficient.

Also, I eat fast, so something that takes me 30 minutes or more to make is eaten in less than 10. Seems pointless.

Saying that, I do like learning to cook and I can definitely cook better now and can do a few things other than pasta that are decent.

ReputationRep:
    I don't especially enjoy cooking but I have cooked one or two things that actually tasted pretty good. Not as good as my mum's cooking though.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I like to know where my food come from! XD It may also reduce the risk of something like this happening (Er, view at your own risk for you may be put off for a while XD...)

Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  article-0-16C6CD97000005DC-556_634x427.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  51.3 KB

It's from KFC apparentlyyy~.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scumbaggio)
    I have to disagree with this completely.

If you go to a decent butcher the quality of the beef will be superior to that found in your average restaurant. Also consider the chef may not actually be any good.
    I guess. I only have steak at places I know are good though. I'm yet to have a home-cooked steak that's as tender and amazing and perfectly done as my local steakhouse!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippieglitter)
    This seems to be a bit weird but I really don't like home cooking. I don't enjoy cooking so I don't get that enjoyment and sense of achievement when I have made my own food, I don't like to know where my food has come from and no matter what it is or who has made it it, it never ever seems to be as nice as what I could buy or something my dad would have made. The only home cooking I ever really liked was my dads and having been brought up on my dads excellent cooking nothing ever seems to measure up.

I have been doing slimming world for year now and because almost everything has to be made from scratch it's taken all the enjoyment out of food when according to my consultant and all of my group its supposed to do the opposite.

Its got to the point where at times i would rather not eat, but that's not how the plan works and for it to work I need to be eating more than half a plate of the meals that my boyfriend lovingly prepares and I just can't like, even if its something i used to love, the only thing I find myself manage to finish is spaghetti bolognaise or home-made chips.

Does anybody else not like home-cooked food and how do you manage to eat properly without going out and spending loads of money on meals especially if you struggle with your weight?
    I think you don't like spending so much time thinking and seeing food. If I were you I'd make a batch of meals on a sunday, freeze them, then you have healthy meals for your slimming world, but you dont have to labour over them everynight. Make a tomato mince sauce, then you can adapt it to spaghetti bolognese, or chilli etc.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 7, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.